What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

Corkie292

Juniors
There's no doubting the seriousness of the charge(s) but quite honestly it would be absolute lunacy to sack him. I'm telling you right here and now that there are more footballers from all codes and all clubs that have similiar driving habits and much worse (D.U.I. etc) than you can poke a stick at. Do we see these Clubs sack their players for such offences.... not on your life. If Wes is sacked, mark my words he'll be signed up within days & every other NRL Club will be laughing at us. Newcastle signed up a bloke after he was sacked 4 snorting coke for f%#s sake !!! If the charges are proven & he doesn't head out to the La Perouse Hilton, give him a substantial fine & I mean substantial (same or more than Gaz's), counselling, community service etc and let's move on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I hate comparing it to other cases but does Craig Gower ring a bell?

A repeat offender, Gower is no cleanskin when it comes to drunken behaviour. He was stripped of his captaincy by the Panthers. He was also fine $100,000, with $70,000 of that suspended on the condition that he seek counselling.

But he wasn't sacked.

Dave Q

Coach
A copper mate of mine told me their should be a criminal charge for stupidity.

Every re-offender could have it as a back-up charge.

He's a high-profile individual and I expect will be made an example of. Unless he comes up with a defence or another good reason, he'll be headbutting a Traffic Act.

But to give it some perspective, this is not a serious assault charge or sex related or a homicide. He doesnt deserve the worst the law can offer but if guilty, he must be punished.

I was talking to a corrective services officer today. The officer told me that the gaols are now filling up with psychiatric patients. That would worry me more than the screws.

If he pleads it down, it might look better in Court if Saints sack him and the NRL de-register him. Thats a non-judicial penalty thats pretty tough.

I've followed this guy a bit when he's been on TV, he has that rare live wire quality, nice step, confident, strong, plays with ambition, its a sad loss for the game.

The courts will say he should have thought about that before hopping into his car.

Its a serious business.

Father Ted

First Grade
Dave Q said:
A copper mate of mine told me their should be a criminal charge for stupidity.

Your right , but if we did there'd be only four teams in the comp . You see Dave your average footballer isn't exactly Mensa material .

Every re-offender could have it as a back-up charge.

He's a high-profile individual and I expect will be made an example of. Unless he comes up with a defence or another good reason, he'll be headbutting a Traffic Act.

But to give it some perspective, this is not a serious assault charge or sex related or a homicide. He doesnt deserve the worst the law can offer but if guilty, he must be punished.

I was talking to a corrective services officer today. The officer told me that the gaols are now filling up with psychiatric patients. That would worry me more than the screws.

If he pleads it down, it might look better in Court if Saints sack him and the NRL de-register him. Thats a non-judicial penalty thats pretty tough.

I've followed this guy a bit when he's been on TV, he has that rare live wire quality, nice step, confident, strong, plays with ambition, its a sad loss for the game.

The courts will say he should have thought about that before hopping into his car.

Its a serious business.

Dave Q

Coach
Forgive me father for I have sinned.

The footballer I know, he's pretty smart. Smart enough not to even drink.

Section 2006A of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) (as adopted by Pitcairn island).

(a) Any person who committs any offence as described herein or in regards to traffic legislation (as defined in the definitions) twice or more shall be considered and declared to be an "idiot".

(b) Upon conviction or in the case of a plea of guilty to 2006A(a) above, the penalty for being an idiot shall be:

(i) A fine of up to 500 penalty units and/or
(ii) Up to six months gaol and/or
(iii) The uninterupted viewing of three seasons of Australian Idol.

(c) It is a defence to this section if the defendant can prove he has played at least 1 minute in the NRL over the course of the last 4 seasons.

(d) In this section "idiot" is to be read as being the same as being "stupid" or a "moron" or a "fool" or an "AFL Fan" insofar as they apply to other sections of this act unless otherwise superseded.

:p

Father Ted

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Forgive me father for I have sinned.

The footballer I know, he's pretty smart. Smart enough not to even drink.

Section 2006A of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) (as adopted by Pitcairn island).

(a) Any person who committs any offence as described herein or in regards to traffic legislation (as defined in the definitions) twice or more shall be considered and declared to be an "idiot".

(b) Upon conviction or in the case of a plea of guilty to 2006A(a) above, the penalty for being an idiot shall be:

(i) A fine of up to 500 penalty units and/or
(ii) Up to six months gaol and/or
(iii) The uninterupted viewing of three seasons of Australian Idol.

Thats a human rights violation in itself .

(c) It is a defence to this section if the defendant can prove he has played at least 1 minute in the NRL over the course of the last 4 seasons.

(d) In this section "idiot" is to be read as being the same as being "stupid" or a "moron" or a "fool" or an "AFL Fan" insofar as they apply to other sections of this act unless otherwise superseded.

:p

Dave Q

Coach
Indeed.

I got out of bed this morning and realised that the whole day ahead would constitute a violation of my rights.

Upon further reflection, I realised that I had no rights to begin with so I need not concern myself with their ensuing breach.

I suppose that Wes may have thought he had a right to drive.

Wicks

Juniors
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
The man broke his leg getting out of a car.

You may mean when he refractured his collarbone and in the same week broke his wrist in a car accident driven by Barrett

Bad luck but nothing to do with "no dickheads"

Inferno

Coach
Willow said:
I hate comparing it to other cases but does Craig Gower ring a bell?

A repeat offender, Gower is no cleanskin when it comes to drunken behaviour. He was stripped of his captaincy by the Panthers. He was also fine $100,000, with $70,000 of that suspended on the condition that he seek counselling.

But he wasn't sacked.

Conversely though there has been other players sacked immediately for their indiscretions; Latu, Sargent, Tilese etc. Different offences, but they were sacked pretty much immediately before charges were even laid.

Wes would probably be hot property if released, given his skill and low price tag, but like previously mentioned, its not much of a punishment to be sacked then re-hired a week later by another club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Inferno said:
Conversely though there has been other players sacked immediately for their indiscretions; Latu, Sargent, Tilese etc. Different offences, but they were sacked pretty much immediately before charges were even laid.
Which means that in theory at least, each case should be judged on its own merits (or lack of)... as it should be.
Inferno said:
Wes would probably be hot property if released, given his skill and low price tag, but like previously mentioned, its not much of a punishment to be sacked then re-hired a week later by another club.
Initially I expected that a sacking would see Wes de-registered from from NRL. But that may not be the case, and you may be right. Presumably this will come into calculation if or when the club makes a decision.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Willow said:
Which means that in theory at least, each case should be judged on its own merits (or lack of)... as it should be.
Initially I expected that a sacking would see Wes de-registered from from NRL. But that may not be the case, and you may be right. Presumably this will come into calculation if or when the club makes a decision.

It will be interesting to see what he intends to do. Plead guilty or fight it. Maybe he has received legal advice that he can succesfully defend the charge based on the evidence the cops have. It sounds pretty flimsy.

He was under no obligation to tell the police anything. From my understanding we only have the testimony of a photographer. Hopefully he attended the police station in the company of his lawyer.

Dave Q

Coach
Anyway it goes, I think Wes's 15 seconds of fame is pretty much coming to an end. The media will keep beating it up, the court, club and NRL will come down on him. I'd be surprised to see him play in the famous red V again.

He is about to entre a new phase of his life that will be pretty dramatic.

Its a reminder to all of us that our lives can be turned pretty much upside down at a moments notice and at some stage we all have to call upon that inner strength to get through.

If he loses this sporting life, he will need to examine his other options closely. Gone is the cash, fame and famous friends. He will need to adjust accordingly. Maybe he will buy a business somewhere and work in that?

For some people, they do much better at and enjoy their new lives much better than their old ones.

I present McCracken who made $30m following his career ending injury. Wes can do it too and moreso, he can make substantial donations to charities and be a major force for good in the world.

2 True Blues

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
It will be interesting to see what he intends to do. Plead guilty or fight it. Maybe he has received legal advice that he can succesfully defend the charge based on the evidence the cops have. It sounds pretty flimsy.

He was under no obligation to tell the police anything. From my understanding we only have the testimony of a photographer. Hopefully he attended the police station in the company of his lawyer.

Deadset what difference would it make at all if his lawyer was with him. bullsh*t artists of the century you mean in other words !!! He could come up with some better bull sh*t with a lawyer present. LMAO..........:lol: :crazy: :lol:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Yeah you guys love getting young people in your clutches without representation. It can all be very confusing for a young person.

2TB I think I remember you telling us you are a policeman. Am I correct? You will agree with me that your union provides legal support for all the guys and gals in the nsw police (financial members) who get into trouble. So don't you think it a little ironic you come on here and ridicule the concept of a lawyer providing support for someone about to be interviewed by police?

Cast your mind back to the Police Royal Commission. Police in trouble were all scrambling for the services of lawyers appointed by your union. You know the people you refer to as 'bullsh*t artists of the century'. .