What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

age.s

First Grade
Which area they choose to represent will matter less than where the games are played. If they play out of Suncorp they're better off being called Brisbane X. If they play in Ipswich they'll naturally appeal to people in that area, likewise Logan, Toowoomba etc. The only way they'll end up being able to represent multiple areas is if they can get a stadium easily accessable to all relevant population centers.

Seems obvious I guess, but I just think the name is of lesser importance.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dont see where the team plays out of as being too much of a limiting factor on the area name of the new club.

Souths play out of Homebush which is miles outside their catchment.

BDGS

Bench
I dont see where the team plays out of as being too much of a limiting factor on the area name of the new club.

Souths also have over 100 years of history behind them, compared to a new team that has nothing.

age.s

First Grade

Souths are an existing team with a long standing fanbase though. This new team will need to attract new fans in a way that Souths don't need to. Not to mention there's a school of thought that says they'd get bigger crowds if they played at the SFS.

If the Panthers started up today, I don't think they would work if they played at Homebush for example.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah I get what you are saying but there are plenty of Ipswich based Broncos fans who travel to Suncorp for home games. Given that Suncorp is underutilised as it is and it is already on the Brisbane - Ipswich train line, it makes good sense to play them out of there.

Besides, I dont think the Qld government can afford to sink money into anymore stadiums.

Beowulf

Juniors
Yeah I get what you are saying but there are plenty of Ipswich based Broncos fans who travel to Suncorp for home games. Given that Suncorp is underutilised as it is and it is already on the Brisbane - Ipswich train line, it makes good sense to play them out of there.

Besides, I dont think the Qld government can afford to sink money into anymore stadiums.

Agree, but that just means any new team will be diluting from the Broncos support base, which is detrimental to all concerned.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Partially, but the same could be said for any heartland team, including your CC Bears as Id imagine there would be plenty of RL fans on the CC who follow other teams that might switch.

I think that a genuine alternative to the Broncos up here in Brisbane would attract more fans to the game that are otherwise not affiliated with other clubs. I personally know a few people who follow league but not the Broncos who would love a home town team to follow.

Beowulf

Juniors
Partially, but the same could be said for any heartland team, including your CC Bears as Id imagine there would be plenty of RL fans on the CC who follow other teams that might switch.

I think that a genuine alternative to the Broncos up here in Brisbane would attract more fans to the game that are otherwise not affiliated with other clubs. I personally know a few people who follow league but not the Broncos who would love a home town team to follow.

Agree re the CC side of it, but in Bear hearland in northern Sydney, its Bears or nothing.

Re SEQ, I can see the attraction of a western corridor bid to those in the Ipswich region. However, given the Brisbane2 bid is a carbon copy of the Bronocs with the same type of people running it, I can't see how the Brisbane2 bid would attract new fans. Is that fair comment?

Quidgybo

Bench
However, given the Brisbane2 bid is a carbon copy of the Bronocs with the same type of people running it, I can't see how the Brisbane2 bid would attract new fans. Is that fair comment?
Who runs it versus how and towards whom it is marketed are two entirely different things. In a billion dollar profession sport it's all just marketing. Even the Bears' community engagement is just marketing in the end.

Leigh.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Western Corridor Sweepers.

Western Corridor Hall Monitors

And yes I'm aware it's the bid name not the official name.

bobmar28

Bench
Clydesdales are too close to Broncos.. have an identity that is completely different to any current NRL team, especially teams which are just around the corner. I have to say though, that due to the fact I grew up in this region and that it's model is better then the original one proposed last year. I support Central Coast Bears, Western Corridor & Western Australia Reds for 2013 - 2016.

Wow! Not bad considering you have been the harshest critic of this bid all year.

bobmar28

Bench
Souths are an existing team with a long standing fanbase though. This new team will need to attract new fans in a way that Souths don't need to. Not to mention there's a school of thought that says they'd get bigger crowds if they played at the SFS.

If the Panthers started up today, I don't think they would work if they played at Homebush for example.

Of course not, there are 9 teams in Sydney.

Wow! Not bad considering you have been the harshest critic of this bid all year.

I've only been harsh because like I previously said, my family come from this region and my dad has had abit to do with the Ipswich Rugby League region over the years. The previous structures of the bid were basically crap and didn't do any justice to the region or it's community.

Brisbane 2 still doesn't do any justice to the community but Western Corridor is trying to model itself after the Central Coast Bears bid. I can appreciate that. In saying that they are a long way off the pace yet. Let's be real with the fact that they lost alot of ground and time to other bids.

Central Coast Bears - 2013 (ready to rock and roll)
Western Australia - 2014 (ditto)
Ipswich - 2016 (5 years isn't a long time)
--
TV DEAL 2017
--
Wellington/Central QLD - 2018.

Goddo

Bench
I had a crack at designing some jerseys for this bid. Will have a go at the other bids too eventually. I know QR National isn't their main sponsor, and the logo is different, but I was just having some fun

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

docbrown

Coach
I had a crack at designing some jerseys for this bid. Will have a go at the other bids too eventually. I know QR National isn't their main sponsor, and the logo is different, but I was just having some fun

picture.php

I like this one. Don't know about the black side panels though. They're probably not needed.

I think the colours would have to be Dark Green (body) with White & Maroon highlights (IMO).

Smiley

Bench
I don't think the Jets have ever used maroon, their official colours are green, yellow and white.

Here's a photo from the trial earlier in the year between the Jets and the Roosters.

822969-boofheads.jpg

Goddo

Bench
^ true, but I recon they may have a touch of Maroon as a nod to their QRL origins. I was trying to avoid any similarity in colours with Australia too.

Dark green is a great colour to work with, black and white are obvious secondaries with any primary.

Yellow is a very bright light colour, and if you use yellow, you would want a darker green (as in the photo). I went with a lighter green, which works better with a darker colour like maroon.

Last edited: