What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

docbrown

Coach
Not really.

A rise in percentage has to be compared to against what else has contributed to that rise.

It was obvious they would get some rise, if they didn't that would mean that the new club had not only brought 0 fans to the game but taken away fans from the other club.

Well anyone claiming that the Brisbane Lions losing 9000 fans per game in one year is a good thing needs their head read.

The fact is the AFL have been very shrewd with Gold Coast games. Of their opposition played at home:

8 Victorian - mostly against teams that have the highest away supporter bases
1 NSW
1 QLD
1 SA

Victorian AFL fans travel in large numbers unlike those from other states. If you want a comparison with the Titans:

7 Sydney - of whom comprise Roosters, Panthers, Sharks, Sea Eagles - all traditionally low away supporters bases
2 QLD - cowboys fans are a smallish away group
1 NZ
1 VIC
1 ACT

If you were to look at that allocation of away teams alone, you'd think NRL was spread to more geographic areas than AFL.

With 2 games in Brisbane to inflate averages and thousands of free tickets, I'm not surprised at all with the Suns numbers.

However lets see how many years they wait before they schedule Port Adelaide and Fremantle games there.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
I just saw resident footy show funny man lebanese tahir do a skit in Ipswich....why do we wanna let this joint have an nrl team?
Bloke he intrerviewed couldnt even do the 'thats gold' hand thing he was that smacked out

POPEYE

Coach
Melbourne Storm in effect is a Brisbane team. Bennett always thought that the Broncos suffered due to the Storm and games between them were frisky because of it.

Ipswitch may weaken Brisbane and Melbourne slightly but only if it can quickly develop a culture. The Titans are suffering because they are not 'special'.

Not sure the CC will become a place where players want to play. Successful teams in the future are going to be teams that players dream of playing with.

docbrown

Coach
In fact this is how I'd schedule GC's home games:

March:
Tigers
Roosters

April:
Cowboys
Panthers
Warriors

May:
Storm
Knights

June:
Bulldogs
Dragons

July:
Broncos
Eels

August:
Rabbitohs

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
In fact this is how I'd schedule GC's home games:

March:
Tigers
Roosters

April:
Cowboys
Panthers
Warriors

May:
Storm
Knights

June:
Bulldogs
Dragons

July:
Broncos
Eels

August:
Rabbitohs
I agree except for the rabbletohs, surely you'd want to be playing someone still in finals contention in August.

docbrown

Coach
I agree except for the rabbletohs, surely you'd want to be playing someone still in finals contention in August.

My rationale for that one:

* Rabbitohs actually have good away support
* Perennially in the middle of the ladder, fighting for contention of late

If GC have poor season, crowd boosted by Rabbitohs away support trying to get their team in the finals.

If GC have good season, then the game will be a fight for finals contention

If GC have a great season, the game will be a final blast

NRLMad

Juniors
Well anyone claiming that the Brisbane Lions losing 9000 fans per game in one year is a good thing needs their head read.

The fact is the AFL have been very shrewd with Gold Coast games. Of their opposition played at home:

8 Victorian - mostly against teams that have the highest away supporter bases
1 NSW
1 QLD
1 SA

Victorian AFL fans travel in large numbers unlike those from other states. If you want a comparison with the Titans:

7 Sydney - of whom comprise Roosters, Panthers, Sharks, Sea Eagles - all traditionally low away supporters bases
2 QLD - cowboys fans are a smallish away group
1 NZ
1 VIC
1 ACT

If you were to look at that allocation of away teams alone, you'd think NRL was spread to more geographic areas than AFL.

With 2 games in Brisbane to inflate averages and thousands of free tickets, I'm not surprised at all with the Suns numbers.

However lets see how many years they wait before they schedule Port Adelaide and Fremantle games there.

Doc - remember it's early days.. all teams will ahve a bit of a boost early, however, it's how they can hold onto that.

Look at the Storm for example; quality team hence holding membership. The best thing for them is that they've produced the goods since 1999, 12 years later they continue to be a success. Forget the cheating thing - coz at the edn fot he day, if you're a fan you'll stay a fan... watch for the boost in numbers at home games + finals..

I think the problem for the AFL is that they've expanded into 2 areas at the same time that don;t give a toss about AFL. They should have gone with TAS and GC then GWS later. No matter how much money they spend, they'll barely scratch the impact of a benji (tigers), hayne (eels) combo + then you have generational support for all the 4 teams out west.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
The Jets is a good moniker and they should try to stick to it - would certainly create a fierce rivarly with the Bombers bid. They could make their colours green, blue and white and form a partnership of some sort or another with Newtown (for example, a feeder relationship). This would ensure an instant supporter base in Sydney. It would also mean they might actually bring a decent number of away fans (unlike gold coast, cowboys etc).

The only problem I can think of is if it would put offside any fans of any other QRL clubs other than the Ipswich Jets.

joshreading

Staff member
"Corridor" sounds stupid and I am fairly surely very few people would think of themselves of living in the "western Corridor"

smithie

Juniors
good bid and I hope they make it.

Smithie - why does a team have to have Brisbane in the name for you to support them? Just because its not called Brisbane but is in that area doesnt mean you cant support them!

There are a number of reasons why I support the Brisbane II bid over the Western Corridor bid. The main reason is there are league fans throughout all of the greater Brisbane area that want to support a team other than the Broncos, not just the people in the Western Corridor.

The Western Corridor area simply isn't ready to have a national team. Springfield is still a very young area and the infrastructure just isn't there and won't be for another decade at least. The Darra to Springfield rail line will be complete in 2013 and that is great for the region, but what about the proposed Springfield to Ipswich rail line. That has not been earmarked to be built until 2020-2026. There isn't even talk of a Springfield to Logan rail line. The proposed stadium at Springfield is realistically 10 years away according to Steve Johnson (Western Corridor bid chairman). They would be playing at Suncorp Stadium for 6 years before their own ground is built, if they were admitted into the competition in 2015. Could you imagine the GC Titans crowds if they had to play at Suncorp for their first 6 years?

Springfield will become the "Parramatta of Brisbane" and will be able to host a NRL team, but not until they are ready. There is no reason why South-east QLD cannot have the Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans, Brisbane Bombers(2014/15) and the Western Corridor team(2020).

At the moment I would rank the bids:
1. Perth
2. Brisbane II
3. Central Coast
4. Western Corridor
5. Central QLD
6. PNG

If there is a NZ II bid it would be 4th behind Central Coast.

Goddo

Bench
"Corridor" sounds stupid and I am fairly surely very few people would think of themselves of living in the "western Corridor"
Try not to be an @^$e clown :roll:

Western Corridor is the bid name - the club will be called something like "Ipswich-Logan" "Ipswich" "West Brisbane"...

Joker's Wild

Coach
There are a number of reasons why I support the Brisbane II bid over the Western Corridor bid. The main reason is there are league fans throughout all of the greater Brisbane area that want to support a team other than the Broncos, not just the people in the Western Corridor.

The Western Corridor area simply isn't ready to have a national team. Springfield is still a very young area and the infrastructure just isn't there and won't be for another decade at least. The Darra to Springfield rail line will be complete in 2013 and that is great for the region, but what about the proposed Springfield to Ipswich rail line. That has not been earmarked to be built until 2020-2026. There isn't even talk of a Springfield to Logan rail line. The proposed stadium at Springfield is realistically 10 years away according to Steve Johnson (Western Corridor bid chairman). They would be playing at Suncorp Stadium for 6 years before their own ground is built, if they were admitted into the competition in 2015. Could you imagine the GC Titans crowds if they had to play at Suncorp for their first 6 years?

Springfield will become the "Parramatta of Brisbane" and will be able to host a NRL team, but not until they are ready. There is no reason why South-east QLD cannot have the Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans, Brisbane Bombers(2014/15) and the Western Corridor team(2020).

At the moment I would rank the bids:
1. Perth
2. Brisbane II
3. Central Coast
4. Western Corridor
5. Central QLD
6. PNG

If there is a NZ II bid it would be 4th behind Central Coast.

Unfair comparison mate. Ipswich and Logan are both a fair deal closer to Milton than the GC is. Plenty of fans come in on the Ipswich line to Broncos games right now.

Chalk and cheese

BDGS

Bench
Melbourne Storm in effect is a Brisbane team. Bennett always thought that the Broncos suffered due to the Storm and games between them were frisky because of it.

Ipswitch may weaken Brisbane and Melbourne slightly but only if it can quickly develop a culture. The Titans are suffering because they are not 'special'.

Not sure the CC will become a place where players want to play. Successful teams in the future are going to be teams that players dream of playing with.

This is no longer true and in 5-10 years this comment will be a totally insane out there comment.

aarondoyle

Juniors
On their facebook page they asked if there was any questions they wanted resolved. I asked about whether they were the Jets and I thought they should be - already have history, well known, good for QRL to have a team step up, might get former players on board etc. This was the answer:

"Aaron it is unlikely to be the Jets for some very valid reasons.First the Jets have worked with the Ipswich community and lent their brand to other Ipswich sports so that it is iconic to the city itself and not representive of the Western Corridor. Secondly it is the name of the Ipswich Jets who will continue that proud name in the ISC. Finally it was used at the elite level and still used in the game by the Newtown Jets."

So it looks like the "Western Corridoor" bid has no link to the Jets. Disappointing if you ask me.

bobmar28

Bench
On their facebook page they asked if there was any questions they wanted resolved. I asked about whether they were the Jets and I thought they should be - already have history, well known, good for QRL to have a team step up, might get former players on board etc. This was the answer:

So it looks like the "Western Corridoor" bid has no link to the Jets. Disappointing if you ask me.

Maybe they should put it to a vote.

westcorridor

Juniors

The Western Corridor bid has strong link to the Jets. Steven Johnson plays an integral role at the club, however, naming of the club is open at the moment

Talons

Juniors
I'm interested to know a couple of things.

1. Assuming you are in regular consultation with the NRL... Can you give us some insight to how you think the bid is being received ?

2. What strategies do you have to engage community/commercial support, and are you in the process of implementing them ?

3. Assuming there is a long term plan for your own stadium. Do you have any idea of it's location and time-frame?

Cheers.

Latest posts