What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

bobmar28

Bench
If this bid is to get in i think it should have a stadium from the onset. If any bid is going to play at Suncorp or in Brisbane then it should be labelled Brisbane. It looks like the Bombers have more corporate support then the Western Corridor.

I would like to see more local support from potential/future fans of each of these bids though. That is something the Western Australian and Central Coast bid is doing really well.

Wests Tigers are further from Sydney CBD than Ipswich is from Brisbane city centre yet they play at SFS. They are not called Sydney.

Goddo

Bench
TBH it is still Perth and CC way out in front. Neither of the Brisbane bids have got a strong fan base behind them at this point and WC still has some big question marks over use of stadium.
In your opinion. You can't use the same yard stick to compare the bids - each has strengths and weaknesses. The two main criteria remain a viable financial model and generating revenue for the NRL. Everything else is secondary.

The stadium issue isn't that big a deal - Suncorp temporarily until Springfield is built. The sooner they are awarded the franchise the sooner they can get building.
I am sure the NRL are hoping one of the Brisbane bids put up a compelling case but without a supporter base (not that I don;t think they can develop one, just that they don;t seem to be trying at the moment) I think the NRL will be concerned about another empty stadium on the TV. All the bids seem to be attracting good corporate support which is healthy to see for the game.

FFS get over the whole "supporter base" thing. The Bears have the biggest fan base because they are the oldest, most recognised brand. Of course a brand new club won't have any fans! Such a tedious stupid arguement "derr, they ain't got fans."

I'll say it again, the two main requirements are a viable financial model and generating revenue for the NRL. Everything else is secondary.

In the Bears case, memberships has a high importance because it directly impacts on their financial model, but that is not true of other bids.

As for empty stadiums, thats more of a risk in Perth.

juro

Bench
Would it be an option (or even a benefit) for Ipswich to put on free shuttle buses from their support base to and from Suncorp?

smithie

Juniors
Would it be an option (or even a benefit) for Ipswich to put on free shuttle buses from their support base to and from Suncorp?

Free public transport is already included in the ticket price for NRL games in QLD.

beave

Coach
not in NQ it doesn't, but hey I guess us north of the Tropic of Capricorn are used to being excluded from being part of 'QLD'..........

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Wests Tigers are further from Sydney CBD than Ipswich is from Brisbane city centre yet they play at SFS. They are not called Sydney.

Wests Tigers play at Leichhardt and Campbelltown, which is there areas, as well as taking a few games to larger grounds. The difference is, Ipswich will be taking all their games away.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The train line runs from Ipswich directly to Milton. Its the busiest train line on game nights, suggesting people will travel from those areas to games, especially when its free.

Playing out of Suncorp for a couple of seasons wont be much of an issue if at all.

smithie

Juniors
The train line runs from Ipswich directly to Milton. Its the busiest train line on game nights, suggesting people will travel from those areas to games, especially when its free.

Playing out of Suncorp for a couple of seasons wont be much of an issue if at all.

A couple of seasons would be fine, but the proposed stadium at Springfield isn't happening until about 2020. What happens if they have a season like the Titans have just had. How many fans will continue to make the hour long train ride then?

Goddo

Bench
A couple of seasons would be fine, but the proposed stadium at Springfield isn't happening until about 2020. What happens if they have a season like the Titans have just had. How many fans will continue to make the hour long train ride then?
:crazy:

all teams have their up and down years. Oh no what if the Broncos get the spoon? Or Perth? That is stupid alarmist thinking. What if the Brisbane Bombers you want have a bad year?

The Ipswich side still would draw "away" fans of Sydney clubs who live in Brisbane in large numbers. Even in a spoon year I'd expect this club to pull over 20k average. There is demand there for the game.

The Stadium is the only real hole in the bid, a small one. The NRL gets a sparkling new facility and rugby league complex in the heart of lower-middle class Brisbane. Surely that is a big drawcard for this bid?

rednblack

Juniors
not in NQ it doesn't, but hey I guess us north of the Tropic of Capricorn are used to being excluded from being part of 'QLD'..........

It's not just you guys beave. According to some people in the expansion thread, the Titans aren't in qld either, they're more a northern NSW team!

I wonder if an Ipswich team, not based in Brisbane, would be considered a qld team or not...

FMD, I don't get it either!

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/02/04/gus-gives-nod-to-corridor-claims-gus-gives-nod-to-/

Gus gives nod to corridor bid

WHEN league guru Phil Gould told a captivated audience that the Western Corridor had "a magnificent bid" it was surely a huge boost to everyone involved in the push to establish an NRL club in Ipswich.

Gould, the Penrith Panthers general manager, was the keynote speaker at the Ipswich Jets' sportsman's dinner on Thursday night. Gould was also in town for the Jets' trial clash with the Panthers last night.

After his speech Gould spoke to the QT about rugby league expansion, why the Western Corridor bid could be successful and also some of the challenges it will face.

"It would be taking rugby league to a rugby league heartland where the game is extremely popular," Gould said of the Western Corridor bid.

"I've got no doubt you would have the passion and the development... and you'd have kids growing up out here wanting to play for Ipswich.

"Having seen the growth out here since when I was here last, this area has got great synergies with western Sydney where the Penrith Panthers are."

Because Brisbane is a one-team town that means there are exclusivity arrangements in place that prevent companies sponsoring the Broncos. For instance, Suncorp can't be a major sponsor because NRMA already is. That hurdle would be lifted for a range of potential sponsors if the Western Corridor came in. Gould said "the case for a second Brisbane team is glaringly obvious."

"Here in Brisbane there should have been a second team for a long time. I've been critical of that because I think the Broncos have been given special leniency because they were owned by the media company (News Ltd) that owned the game.

"But it would be good for the Broncos to have someone to compete with up here and I think Brisbane is crying out for someone else to cheer for."

The QT understands that Channel Nine is keen for either the Western Corridor or Brisbane Bombers to win an NRL licence. Gould, who works for the network, said a team in Ipswich playing out of Suncorp Stadium would be "a great boost for free-to-air TV."

"We'd have a game here every weekend rather than once a fortnight," he said.

He conceded that the greatest challenge for the Western Corridor bid would be commercial.

"Funding is the primary hurdle stopping our game from improving and developing at the grass roots level for generations to come," he said.

"It is one thing to get yourself in a position financially where you can put a team in the NRL - but you've got to put a team in there that is going to last forever.

"That is not Ipswich's problem. That is whoever governs the game's problem. They have got to understand that funding is the most important thing.

"For Ipswich, it has to be for the long haul. Out here, the western outskirts of Brisbane, it will face a commercial challenge.

"But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

"It is more than possible ... and this would be a great place to have a football team."

BuffaloRules

Coach
Some interesting facts about Ipswich.. I can only assume they are true...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...pense-of-gosford/story-e6frep5x-1226271152635

Chairman of Qld's Western Corridor bid team, Steve Johnson, said last night that Ipswich was the logical area for expansion, given it would not impact on the Broncos and boasted the biggest junior base in Australia.

Johnson, chairman of Ipswich Jets in the statewide Intrust Super Cup, said the bid team had a "compelling" case.
"It will (just) be a matter of jumping from semi-professional to a professional operation," he said.
"We think our bid is compelling and so does (Penrith football chief) Phil Gould, who was here earlier this month.
"By 2020 we will have a population the size of Brisbane and by then we would have our own stadium.
"Kids in this region are 55 per cent more likely to play rugby league than anywhere else in Queensland."

Spitty

Juniors
"It will (just) be a matter of jumping from semi-professional to a professional operation," he said.

What a ridiculous thing to say. It's that simple hey?

Almost as ridiculous as,

it would not impact on the Broncos

Apparently there aren't many Broncos fans in the Western Corridor of Brisbane.

While community wise the bid makes sense, realistically they have no sponsors, no corporate support and hence no money.

At this stage they're can't show that they're sustainable, which is the first step before considering what they can do for the league.

There is plenty of time left. But stupid statements early on don't paint the bid in a good light.

BuffaloRules

Coach
What a ridiculous thing to say. It's that simple hey?

Almost as ridiculous as,

Apparently there aren't many Broncos fans in the Western Corridor of Brisbane.

Fair point..

I look at the Central Coast.. the residents all currently support other teams at the moment, but apparently they will change on mass to the Bears when they get admission?

RedVee

First Grade
:lol: Like I became a Wests Magpie then Tiger when I moved to Campbelltown in 1990....

That stuff 'used to happen'. I have heard from friends and some relos that they became supporters of the local team when they moved into an area. But they are talking 40s 50s 60s, a long time ago. Not sure but perhaps it reduced when games started being available via TV?

Some will, I'm sure, and others will adopt the locals as a 2nd team. it may take a couple of generations before they take hold. Similar happened with Penrith I heard.

docbrown

Coach
There was no team in Newcastle and everyone supported Sydney clubs.

Some people still support Sydney clubs but the Knights are the strongest supported club by a country mile. What's good though is that because of those other Sydney club supporters, whenever the Knights play them we get a decent number of away team fans.

No reason why this wouldn't be the same on both the Central Coast & Brisbane.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/02/16/ipswich-bid-for-nrl-club-gains-ground/
THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid has firmed as a frontrunner to win one of a possible two new NRL franchises should the game expand in 2015.

The formation of rugby league's new independent commission has put expansion back on the table with the Perth and Ipswich bids the favourites.

Channel Nine is keen to screen at least one game out of Suncorp Stadium each weekend while Fox Sports wants a team in Perth to increase its Pay TV subscriptions.
The broadcasters will have a major say in expansion if they are to hand over the hoped for $1 billion plus that the game is seeking from the next TV rights deal.

The QT understands that the Western Corridor bid team has supporters in both the commission and Channel Nine.

That has it well in the hunt to win one of the licences along with Perth.
"That is what was going to happen ever since expansion was first mooted, because of the strength of the rugby league viewing audience in south-east Queensland and the need for Perth to be back involved in the national game," Western Corridor bid team chairman Steve Johnson said.
"Expansion and TV rights go hand-in-hand. Channel Nine have always wanted two sides to play out of Suncorp Stadium to have the weekly game in Brisbane and Fox wants to expand their pay-to-view base. Western Australia is attractive to them because it has a solid rugby league competition and background."
Due to the fact that Brisbane is a one-team NRL town, the Western Corridor bid also has a plethora of potential sponsors waiting to knock down the door to get involved.
"Our main sponsorship won't come from western corridor business. It will come from national businesses," Johnson said.
"Any competitor to someone on the Broncos jumper has had no avenue of being involved...but now they will."
That would open up the opportunity for Suncorp to be a Western Corridor jumper sponsor - which it can't do at the Broncos due to NRMA's sponsorship.

Its amazing how the Ipswich bid has really ramped up the last few days....

Its coincided with the formation of the IC - there must be a link there?

They are even talkking about Suncorp being a sponsor?

I can't support this bid unless it's essentially an Ipswich based Brisbane team with a name that reflects that. South Queensland would be best. It needs to represent the whole area between the Brisbane River and the Gold Coast, ideally.

Dogs Of War

Coach
There was no team in Newcastle and everyone supported Sydney clubs.

Some people still support Sydney clubs but the Knights are the strongest supported club by a country mile. What's good though is that because of those other Sydney club supporters, whenever the Knights play them we get a decent number of away team fans.

No reason why this wouldn't be the same on both the Central Coast & Brisbane.

I have to agree with that, cause that's exactly what happened with me. Probably didn't help that the Dogs won the comp the year Newcastle joined. That said, I have been to plenty of Knights games over the years to see games that didn't involve the Dogs, just cause if you want to see a game live, it was the only choice.

Latest posts