What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

joshreading

Staff member
I also noted that the Western Corridor Bid 'likes' the Ipswich Brothers Leagues Club (which was in talks for a different bid). Have they now joined with the Western Corridor Bid?

Surely if the Team was called 'South Queensland' but training/admin etc was based out of the Springfield/Western area than we could get the best of both worlds in regards to its competition with the Bombers Bid.

BDGS

Bench
On their facebook page they asked if there was any questions they wanted resolved. I asked about whether they were the Jets and I thought they should be - already have history, well known, good for QRL to have a team step up, might get former players on board etc. This was the answer:

So it looks like the "Western Corridoor" bid has no link to the Jets. Disappointing if you ask me.

I like it. First thing i have liked from this bid actually.

joshreading

Staff member

I think that a total link to the Ipswich Jets would actually be a turn off for anyone outside of Ipswich (and some in it - brothers Leagues would not be keen and they are bigger than the Jets)

Ipswich Jets should be a part of the team but not the whole.

Some might hate this suggestion but the GWS Giants in AFL set up a "community advisory board" with key reps (including RL guys like Jim Marsden) in all the different areas of Western Sydney.

Western Corridor should do similar with a 'community advisory board' having key social and corporate influencers representing areas such as Logan/Springfield/Ipswich/Toowoomba etc.

It would be an advisory board not legal but would be used to be a voice to the community and the community back to the board.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
If this bid is to get in i think it should have a stadium from the onset. If any bid is going to play at Suncorp or in Brisbane then it should be labelled Brisbane. It looks like the Bombers have more corporate support then the Western Corridor.

I would like to see more local support from potential/future fans of each of these bids though. That is something the Western Australian and Central Coast bid is doing really well.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If this bid is to get in i think it should have a stadium from the onset. If any bid is going to play at Suncorp or in Brisbane then it should be labelled Brisbane. It looks like the Bombers have more corporate support then the Western Corridor.

I would like to see more local support from potential/future fans of each of these bids though. That is something the Western Australian and Central Coast bid is doing really well.

Why exactly? Ipswich is no further from Milton than Redfern is from Homebush yet the Bunnies play out there.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

In theory a sound idea. But then we have the Gold Coast situation. A shiny jewel that was made for them (primarily, other sports use it too) that is costing them and fans an arm and a leg to play at. Broncos fans travel from afar to watch them at Lang park, you would assume that this bids team would also be willing to travel until the time comes when it is feasible to build a stadium closer to their home base.

smithie

Juniors

Agree 100%. The proposed stadium at Springfield is ten years away(2021), with the proposed new Cowboys stadium and Gold Coast Commonwealth Games infrastructure to be built before it. If they were to play at Suncorp for 1 or 2 seasons that would be fine, but 6-7 years is far too long to be playing at a temporary home ground. What if they have one or two seasons like the Titans are currently having. How many fans would continue to make the one hour train ride from Ipswich to Suncorp?

The following round of expansion (19th & 20th teams) is when Western Corridor should come in. By then the Springfield area will have further developed and hopefully work will have begun on the Ipswich to Springfield rail line (currently earmarked for 2021-26).

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/I/Ipswich-to-Springfield-Public-Transport-Corridor-Study.aspx
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/08/10/push-to-bring-rail-to-redbank-plains/

2014/15 - Brisbane II & Perth
2019/20 - Western Corridor & NZ II

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/11/09/sponsors-secured-for-our-nrl-bid/

Sponsors secured for NRL bid

THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid team has all but secured a naming right sponsor to go with its apparel sponsorship deal.

Both companies, which cannot yet be named, are multinationals who have been impressed by the proposed community-owned club structure of the Western Corridor bid and its business plan.

Nothing can happen with expansion until the independent commission runs the game and the next TV rights deal is secured.

But the bid team has not been sitting on its hands.

"We've had a good meeting with a naming rights sponsor and that is 70% agreed with a multinational company," bid chairman Steve Johnson said.

"As soon as there is certainty brought into the game and the expanded television rights are known it makes it easier for this company to put pen to paper because they'll know what they are going to get in 2015. We've also got our apparel sponsorship done with a quality, international company."

Johnson is set to hold a meeting with UQ to talk about what the university can do to assist the bid.

"In the model of our club the person is as important as the player," he said.

"Any player is one injury away from being unemployed as a player. We need to make sure that their spare time is used wisely in the community or in educating themselves to better themselves. We are very fortunate that we have found a potential partner in the University of Queensland that is ready to assist our players."

These involve educational pathways that marry into the Western Corridor's academies.

"If we bring a country kid down from Toowoomba they can still go to the UQ campus at Gatton, live in a country environment and still achieve their NRL dream."
Really like the way this bid is operating.

beave

Coach
They are in my eyes tbh, the Bombers bid lost me with their attitude and chosen nickname.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBH it is still Perth and CC way out in front. Neither of the Brisbane bids have got a strong fan base behind them at this point and WC still has some big question marks over use of stadium. I am sure the NRL are hoping one of the Brisbane bids put up a compelling case but without a supporter base (not that I don;t think they can develop one, just that they don;t seem to be trying at the moment) I think the NRL will be concerned about another empty stadium on the TV. All the bids seem to be attracting good corporate support which is healthy to see for the game.

Goddy

Juniors
If the Jets win their bid, Ipswich deserves its own Stadium; To build their fanbase, they need to be conveniently located for the fans. They won't be too keen on driving all the way into Brisbane, I don't think.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think this is their achiles heel. They won't get a stadium for many years to come and the question of if fans will travel in sufficient numbers from those WC suburbs into Brisbane remains an issue for the bid to convince the NRL about. Even though the Bombers aren't pulliing up trees I still think they are ahead of this bd.

Latest posts