What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
WC Wombats? Their logo could be this stood on a toilet!

olympic-park-sydney-wombat.jpg

You're nothing but a hypocrite jizzer. The bears supporters are doing it tough but you feel the need to want their club to die and stay dead. And you're part of a group death riding the bid you pathetic moron.

f**k me you just do not get it refer back to post 2266 you dribbler, to see what i am on about

you had better grab your boyfriends hand and run along to the next session

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
f**k me you just do not get it refer back to post 2266 you dribbler, to see what i am on about

you had better grab your boyfriends hand and run along to the next session

You are part of a group you dribbling geniused c**k gobbling hypocritical death riding sack of non comprehending batshit. You're part of a group that continually goes out of its way to put down the bears. The lol@50uff$ mob poke fun at the rabbletohs, only a moron like yourself thinks that it's anything but a bit of fun. You on the other hand are driven by long standing and petty hate and, it seems, an unhealthy obsession with circle jerking.

I'll won't sully this thread any further by pointing out your plethora of flaws and raving hypocrisy.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also for the record, I wouldn't put shit on souffs if they were out of the comp. Lowest of the low to actually want to deny thousands of people their teams existence.

Goddo

Bench
I hate Western Corridor as a name. May as well call them the WC Dunny-men.

Springfield is a part of the Ipswich shire.
Good for you. Its also almost due south of Brisbane CBD. My point stands.

Last edited:
I hate Western Corridor as a name. May as well call them the WC Dunny-men.

Well unfortunately Western Corridor is the name of the bid. Also who cares if it's south of Brisbane, it's still not Brisbane. Never was Brisbane, never will be Brisbane. They have their own identity, own region and own councils.

You might as well call the Gold Coast Titans, South Brisbane Titans because they're south of Brisbane as well right?:sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They're just outer suburbs of Brisbane. Be like saying Joondalup isn't part of Perth because it has its own council and city centre. As far as national corporates and fan spread goes a title that instantly identifies the capital city or at least obvious state region is better than some no descript name that means little outside that area. Hence why the name must contain either Brisbane or Q'land. SW Kookaburras could be a team playing out of Margaret River!

They're just outer suburbs of Brisbane. Be like saying Joondalup isn't part of Perth because it has its own council and city centre. As far as national corporates and fan spread goes a title that instantly identifies the capital city or at least obvious state region is better than some no descript name that means little outside that area. Hence why the name must contain either Brisbane or Q'land. SW Kookaburras could be a team playing out of Margaret River!

Maybe according to google maps but demographically they couldn't be more happier to not be Brisbane. I don't understand why people who clearly never lived or even been to the area "think" they should be called something that they're not? So I guess we make the locals void? What a great start, let's make the supporters that the bid is trying to capture offside by naming the would be franchise something which it isn't. My old man, a long time Jet's supporter and Ipswich rate payer will be over the moon when he finds out that the proposed Ipswich team is now Brisbane.:roll:

No wonder a few here also think that the Central Coast is part of Sydney, geography obviously wasn't taught at a couple of schools...

Haffa

Not sure whats good for me. Not arguing that its not due south on a map. Its still pretty stupid for a team based in Springfield to be called South Brisbane when its actually part of the City of Ipswich.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its outer Brisbane, I have met plenty of people from the outer suburbs of Brisbane and when asked where they are from they 99% of the time say Brisbane, then when pressed they will talk about which part they are from. The days of suburban based teams are over, why on earth would you limit your appeal to one suburban municipality when you NEED a much bigger catchment to be an $18mill a year viable sports business?

Haffa

Here's an idea why don't we just call them the South Brisbane Bombers?!

Its outer Brisbane, I have met plenty of people from the outer suburbs of Brisbane and when asked where they are from they 99% of the time say Brisbane, then when pressed they will talk about which part they are from. The days of suburban based teams are over, why on earth would you limit your appeal to one suburban municipality when you NEED a much bigger catchment to be an $18mill a year viable sports business?

Lol. You realise Ipswich, Toowoomba, Logan, Scenic Rim and Lockyer Valley are anything but a municipality. Ipswich and Logan have 150k+ populations and Toowoomba is the 2nd biggest inland town in Australia. I don't know what more to say, having grown up in the area I don't even know why I'm debating with people who have never set foot in the region. It's absurd.

People probably only say they're Brisbane because they can't be bothered going into specifics but when in Queensland no Ipswichian or Loganite or Toowoombanese say that they're from Brisbane.. they have pride in their cities/regions and so should the bid.

But if you guys honestly believe that naming an Ipswich based side, Brisbane, then more power to you and lesser power to the education system I guess...

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
If they want to truly engage their regional community/surrounds the "Ipswich-Logan Clydesdales" would be a pretty sweet name. We have multiple birds as mascots why not horses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol. You realise Ipswich, Toowoomba, Logan, Scenic Rim and Lockyer Valley are anything but a municipality. Ipswich and Logan have 150k+ populations and Toowoomba is the 2nd biggest inland town in Australia. I don't know what more to say, having grown up in the area I don't even know why I'm debating with people who have never set foot in the region. It's absurd.

QUOTE]

I live in the City of Stirling, it has a pop of 202,000. It is still a part of outer Perth!

Ipswich has 155k pop, not even close to a sustainable NRL team catchment. The only way it will be is if it incorporates a massive collection of BRISBANE outer suburbs and municipalities. They are going to be playing in Brisbane centre. South Queensland still remains the most obvious, and seemingly unoffensive name for people who don;t like to think they live in Brisbane.

At the end of the day the bid will, hopefully with their communities input, decide their name and moniker if they get the nod. No point in getting heated up about some fun discussion on a msg board!

Logan people would say they are from Brisbane. Ipswich people wouldn't. Logan may have its own council but it's in the greater Brisbane city.

Anyway, back to potential names. It has to be South Queensland. The logo can be anything. Others have previously suggested a Brisbane side should be called Griffins because there are griffins on the Brisbane coat of arms. I suggested Brisbane Bucks because there is a deer on the Qld coat of arms. I have previously posted an indicative logo based on an American team for Bucks, which I can't find again now, and it wasn't popular. So what about Griffins? Even if it's an Ipswich based team it's still a pretty good name and logo and it has a Brisbane connection. So I have stolen another American logo and changed it. Again, it's only idicative of what it could look like.

60d456a45f057ca7c6b4de695a381b31_1280x1024.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks good and green, blue and maron are good colours and distinctive from anything else currently in the NRL.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I can't see South Brisbane being used. If the team was based at Mt Gravatt or similar then maybe, but if it's going to have the training base in Springfield...

If this bid wants to get support outside the Ipswich/Springfield area it will have to use the South Queensland name, but this causes a problem.

If it's called South Queensland and gets support from Brisbane, Logan, etc. then why cant they use Suncorp Stadium permanently? Why do they need a new stadium in Ipswich/Springfield? The South Queensland Crushers used Lang Park, why cant they? It is because this is a Ipswich club.

"But asides from all that, we have got the fan base. We have never said that we are going to build a stadium.

"We are going to use Suncorp Stadium. We are going to bring the fans.

That was the Ipswich mayor as quoted in the article Smiley psoted here: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=8072399&postcount=2210

I'd assume the plan is to build a boutique <5K seater stadium in Springfield along with something like the Titans Centre of Excellance as their base and then play at Lang Park on the weekends.

flippikat

Bench
Or they could do what the WARL did and revert back to the original, Crushers.

A possibility.. but if they go for this option, I wouldn't pick the same colour scheme again.

With Parramatta, North Queensland and Gold Coast all using variations of blue & yellow, a mustard and blue jersey would be more of the same.