What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

There are Jets in Ipswich. RAAF Jets.

Good luck trying to a) convince Newtown to give up their Jets namesake which is part of the premierships history and b) changing the minds of the men behind the WC bid who have already stated that they won't be using Jets as a name.

But I guess as long as you think it's alright who cares what the power brokers behind the bid think?

Also one of the aspects of Brisbane Bombers choosing the Bombers name was to take the pilot/air plane moniker away from a potential Ipswich team. Craig Davison is a slime ball for this, amongst other things.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Good luck trying to a) convince Newtown to give up their Jets namesake which is part of the premierships history and b) changing the minds of the men behind the WC bid who have already stated that they won't be using Jets as a name.

But I guess as long as you think it's alright who cares what the power brokers behind the bid think?

Also one of the aspects of Brisbane Bombers choosing the Bombers name was to take the pilot/air plane moniker away from a potential Ipswich team. Craig Davison is a slime ball for this, amongst other things.

To be fair, I don't think Newtown would have any right to complain seeing as they are in a different state.

To be fair, I don't think Newtown would have any right to complain seeing as they are in a different state.

Of course they do, in the premierships history they are the Jets. Had they never competed in the big league then fair call but they did. Last time I checked didn't the NRL still brand the Jets anyway with their vintage/heritage merchandise? It leaves a bad taste calling a new name franchise, something which an old franchise used. Only exemption is if the original franchise relocates or a deal is struck between the newer and former.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I'd assume the plan is to build a boutique <5K seater stadium in Springfield along with something like the Titans Centre of Excellance as their base and then play at Lang Park on the weekends.
Yep. There was talk of getting some sort of leagues club going and a small shopping strip of cafes and so on near by.

The intent is to play in Springfield too, but all of that is on the backburner for now, the Qld ecconomy being what it is.

So if we come back to this club in say 2025 they might have 1 main grandstand like Newcastles with three hills, a newly built centre of excellence. There will also be a good half mill more people near by.

This is what the "you can't call it Brisbane" mob don't get - the population is about to boom in that area. Its going to be the main suburban belt of Brisbane. To the south of the city. Yes, Ipswich has a fierce independant streak, but it is going to be just a suburb of Brisbane.

I still think Ipswich-Logan (like Canterbury-Bankstown, Manly-Warringah, Cronulla-Sutherland, St George Illawarra) is the best name anyway, even with its "marketability" drawbacks by being more specific.

Last edited:
This is what the "you can't call it Brisbane" mob don't get - the population is about to boom in that area. Its going to be the main suburban belt of Brisbane. To the south of the city. Yes, Ipswich has a fierce independant streak, but it is going to be just a suburb of Brisbane.

Stop being a goose. This you can't call it Brisbane mob, are people with common sense and clearly know more about the area then you or your google fact finder do.

As a local of the area I think I know more about this region then you ever will and it will never be another suburb of Brisbane. It's that independent fierce streak as you call it that should be utilized, not under valued by calling it something which it never has or will be.

You want to build a solid foundation with supporters and get it right from the get go, you call it South Brisbane and you're making the exact same mistakes as the Bombers did. It's all about the marketing value of a side on a national scale is it not? Brisbane has it's side, so if you're so desperate to add another S.E.QLD side then call it by what it is and has always been.

Goddo

Bench
Stop being a goose. This you can't call it Brisbane mob, are people with common sense and clearly know more about the area then you or your google fact finder do.

As a local of the area I think I know more about this region then you ever will and it will never be another suburb of Brisbane. It's that independent fierce streak as you call it that should be utilized, not under valued by calling it something which it never has or will be.

You want to build a solid foundation with supporters and get it right from the get go, you call it South Brisbane and you're making the exact same mistakes as the Bombers did. It's all about the marketing value of a side on a national scale is it not? Brisbane has it's side, so if you're so desperate to add another S.E.QLD side then call it by what it is and has always been.
Whatever dude. You're flaming way too much. Frothing at the mouth when ever you see a post of mine.

The bid will have a balancing act between going specific to draw in perochial fans such as yourself, and being generic enough to draw in others and easily market the club. Thats all I'm saying. Marketing wise its best to have "Brisbane" in there somewhere, but that won't be popular with people in Ipswich.

If the club is truely an "Ipswich-Logan Corridor club" as Gallop has spruiked in the past, Ipswich-Logan gets my vote.

Last edited:
Whatever dude. You're flaming way too much. Frothing at the mouth when ever you see a post of mine.

The bid will have a balancing act between going specific to draw in perochial fans such as yourself, and being generic enough to draw in others and easily market the club.

Ipswich-Logan gets my vote.

Yes because your silly views hold so much weight don't they :roll:

We don't know the variables of this bid, nothing has been set in concrete besides the fact Ipswich will be part of it. Logan, Toowoomba and the 2 other regions have yet to commit to the bid. The bid is however called Western Corridor for a reason, not Southern Corridor, not South Brisbane.

Keeping that important fact in mind, it's fair to say that this will eventually be Ipswich's team predominately. Ipswich which has a fast growing population, not South Brisbane. Ipswich which is where it will be based, not South Brisbane.

Once Logan officially joins the bid then Ipswich-Logan is more then suitable but until that moment, only Ipswich and Western Corridor are the logical choices, regardless of how silly WC sounds. At the end of the day that's what the bid team chose.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But doesn't calling it that restrict your potential catchment to around 500k people? Is that big enough to A) compete with Broncos B) Sustain a strong NRL club, especially when the team will playing in a place with a totally different name?

flippikat

Bench

In the unlikely event that the Western corridor bid DOES strike a deal with the Newtown Jets, I think the team should wear green, blue & white.

it contrasts well with the other Queensland teams (ideal for derbies), and incorporates Newtown's blue & white colours.

It looks good too - check out this Vancouver Canuks jersey from the NHL...

AdamLItalien-CanucksGreen.png

(edit) Even a white alternate looks pretty damn good to my eyes...

CCM-Vancouver-Canucks-33-Henrik-Sedin-White-Third-With-40TH-Patch-Authentic-NHL.jpg

Last edited:
But doesn't calling it that restrict your potential catchment to around 500k people? Is that big enough to A) compete with Broncos B) Sustain a strong NRL club, especially when the team will playing in a place with a totally different name?

Either way this bid is going to restrict itself. So it might as well be smart and keep the region which it intends to represent onside, rather than trying to appease somewhat fickle fans from another region whom already have their own team.

Ipswich vs. Brisbane vs. Gold Coast has a ton of marketing value and easily identifiable, more so than South Brisbane vs. Brisbane vs. Gold Coast (which is also to the south of Brisbane...).

South Queensland of course works with a vs. North Queensland, but with the Brisbane and the Gold Coast also within South Queensland, the name has problems anyway. So keep it to Ipswich or in the event that Logan join the bid Ipswich-Logan (like Goddo said).

docbrown

Coach
Logan people would say they are from Brisbane. Ipswich people wouldn't. Logan may have its own council but it's in the greater Brisbane city.

Anyway, back to potential names. It has to be South Queensland. The logo can be anything. Others have previously suggested a Brisbane side should be called Griffins because there are griffins on the Brisbane coat of arms. I suggested Brisbane Bucks because there is a deer on the Qld coat of arms. I have previously posted an indicative logo based on an American team for Bucks, which I can't find again now, and it wasn't popular. So what about Griffins? Even if it's an Ipswich based team it's still a pretty good name and logo and it has a Brisbane connection. So I have stolen another American logo and changed it. Again, it's only idicative of what it could look like.

60d456a45f057ca7c6b4de695a381b31_1280x1024.jpg

I had forgotten all about this. I think it was Applesauce who had first brought it up.

This is the one that has my vote. It has a heritage connection - and it's unique in Australian sports. I mean apart from the Dragons, there's very few mythical creatures mascots.

My only suggestions at the time were to make the club's theme about royal heraldry and use tincature colours - FOREST GREEN, proper GOLD, BLACK and MAROON. Griffins are most commonly referred to as kings of beasts and birds - it's a royal standard and typically they're shown with a crown -

45586_39375.jpg

Just like the image of St George & the Dragon, this is an iconic image in the human conciousness that dates back from the time of the crusades.

As for the name as I've always said SOUTH QUEENSLAND has to be it, but they could be clever about it and rather than having an unknown creature just use an illiteration & location/mascot connection like NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS and call the club

SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS

That shits on Bombers, Bayliners, Buffaloes, Kookaburras or any other pissweak names. It would feel as if there's an immediate sense of history about it.

And let's have the ROYAL CUP between the Dragons, Knights and Kings. :cool:

Also here's your lifetime sponsor -

Saab-badge-24768.jpg

Wouldn't even need to change the jersey. ;-)

docbrown

Coach
This is what a football shield logo should resemble - ICONIC - IMMORTAL -

griffin.jpg

This is what a turd resembles -

166042-110714-brisbane-bombers-logo.jpg

applesauce

Bench
I had forgotten all about this. I think it was Applesauce who had first brought it up.

This is the one that has my vote. It has a heritage connection - and it's unique in Australian sports. I mean apart from the Dragons, there's very few mythical creatures mascots.

My only suggestions at the time were to make the club's theme about royal heraldry and use tincature colours - FOREST GREEN, proper GOLD, BLACK and MAROON. Griffins are most commonly referred to as kings of beasts and birds - it's a royal standard and typically they're shown with a crown -

45586_39375.jpg

Just like the image of St George & the Dragon, this is an iconic image in the human conciousness that dates back from the time of the crusades.

As for the name as I've always said SOUTH QUEENSLAND has to be it, but they could be clever about it and rather than having an unknown creature just use an illiteration & location/mascot connection like NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS and call the club

SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS

That shits on Bombers, Bayliners, Buffaloes, Kookaburras or any other pissweak names. It would feel as if there's an immediate sense of history about it.

And let's have the ROYAL CUP between the Dragons, Knights and Kings. :cool:

Also here's your lifetime sponsor -

Saab-badge-24768.jpg

Wouldn't even need to change the jersey. ;-)

Yeah when I came up with it though it was on the basis of Brisbane based team. I don't think having a mascot that is very Brisbane centric will help an Ipswich/Western Corridor/South Qld team.

docbrown

Coach
Yeah when I came up with it though it was on the basis of Brisbane based team. I don't think having a mascot that is very Brisbane centric will help an Ipswich/Western Corridor/South Qld team.

I don't think anyone's suggesting this team should play out of Ipswich, by the sounds of it neither are the bid team.

I think the majority of people are saying that the Western Corridor bid should run it, they should play out of Suncorp, have a name that is bigger than just one tiny region (like Ipswich), have an identity that doesn't allienate traditional QRL supporters but most importantly represent a genuine alternative to the Broncos but have their core support in the West and South due to second tier club affiliations but also be appealing to teams anywhere in the regions and also Queensland in general.

Hence why I still think SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS would crap on any of the other choices I've heard so far but of course this is just my opinion.

docbrown

Coach
In fact if someone would be good enough I suggest we should have a poll (yes another one) but this one not based on the Brisbane Bomber's shitty shortlist but of the names that have been suggested around here.

My picks are:

SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND DOLPHINS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND (BUSH) RANGERS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND JETS

What are the others that have been thrown around? Compile them all here and we'll put them out for scrutiny. Just make sure that none are overlooked though.

Edit:

Some of the others I recall were

RIVERCITY KOOKABURRAS
BRISBANE BOMBERS
IPSWICH JETS
BRISBANE WOMBATS
BRISBANE BUFFALOES
SOUTH QUEENSLAND LIZARDS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND SHARKS (relocation was mentioned once)
Ipswich Pride (as in pride of Lions),
Ipswich Dingoes
Ipswich Buffaloes
Ipswich Crocodiles
Ipswich Gliders
Ipswich Ranges (mountain ranges)
Ipswich Rangers (bush rangers)
Ipswich Fighters (as in Fighter Pilots)
Ipswich Pilots (as in Fighter Pilots)
Ipswich Air-Razors (as in Fighter Pilots)
Ipswich Razorbacks (as in wild pigs)
Ipswich Hawks
Ipswich Greys (as in grey kangaroos)
Ipswich Scorpions

Any others worth listing?

And I'd suggest that you could pick 3 out of the list for the vote because there might be subtle variations.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's suggesting this team should play out of Ipswich, by the sounds of it neither are the bid team.

I think the majority of people are saying that the Western Corridor bid should run it, they should play out of Suncorp, have a name that is bigger than just one tiny region (like Ipswich), have an identity that doesn't allienate traditional QRL supporters but most importantly represent a genuine alternative to the Broncos but have their core support in the West and South due to second tier club affiliations but also be appealing to teams anywhere in the regions and also Queensland in general.

Hence why I still think SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS would crap on any of the other choices I've heard so far but of course this is just my opinion.

But they will "eventually" play out of Ipswich if given a license. They will also be based in Ipswich. If they weren't then naming the bid "Western Corridor" in the first place is stupid on their behalf don't you think?

That's why Paul Pisasle is championing this bid, why they have gauged interest from both Jets Leagues club and Ipswich Brothers League's club. Why they want to one day build a stadium in Springfield, though in my opinion it should be Raceview or Willowbank, if they never intend on using any Ipswich/South West/Western Corridor/South Queensland (I guess) name?

This is after all the region which people keep trumping on about how it's growing uber fast etc etc. So why not just centralize it there? If people want another Brisbane based team then the Bombers are clearly the bid they should be favouring, however, if people want a bid from SE QLD which has it's own regions and identity then it should be Ipswich/Ipswich-Logan. It's only fair to the residents of these area's that their team is geographically named after the region it intends to represent.

I think too many people here have NFI about the demographics of Ipswich, Brisbane, Logan etc and its because of that, that these idea's are thrown around. It'll take all but a 15 minute visit to Ipswich to understand why.

In fact if someone would be good enough I suggest we should have a poll (yes another one) but this one not based on the Brisbane Bomber's shitty shortlist but of the names that have been suggested around here.

My picks are:

SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND JETS

What are the others that have been thrown around? Compile them all here and we'll put them out for scrutiny. Just make sure that none are overlooked though.

Edit:

Some of the others I recall were

RIVERCITY KOOKABURRAS
BRISBANE BOMBERS
IPSWICH JETS
BRISBANE WOMBATS
BRISBANE BUFFALOES
SOUTH QUEENSLAND LIZARDS

Any others worth listing?

And I'd suggest that you could pick 3 out of the list for the vote because there might be subtle variations.

Ipswich Dingoes
Ipswich Buffaloes
Ipswich Crocodiles
Ipswich Gliders
Ipswich Hawks
Ipswich Scorpions

docbrown

Coach
But they will "eventually" play out of Ipswich if given a license. They will also be based in Ipswich. If they weren't then naming the bid "Western Corridor" in the first place is stupid on their behalf don't you think?

That's why Paul Pisasle is championing this bid, why they have gauged interest from both Jets Leagues club and Ipswich Brothers League's club. Why they want to one day build a stadium in Springfield

Springfield isn't Ipswich. It's roughly - what? 6-8 km away?

And that's when? 10 years away?

In the mean time they need to get people from Ipswich, Springfield and Logan wanting to travel 40 minutes to suncorp.

Are people in Logan going to want to do that if it's called Ipswich such and such? I have my doubts about that. Will people in the centre of Brisbane want to support an Ipswich team? I have my doubts about that.

I think the only things that's going to work is a name that encompasses a region bigger than some satellite town. If these guys are serious about matching it with BRISBANE then they shouldn't be called TOOWOOMBA or ROMA or blah blah blah because they'll never, ever, ever be on the same level and if that's the case they should never, ever, ever be admitted because it misses the entire point of having a 3rd team in the SEQ region.

They can have their base of operations in the south and west. They can go recruit members there. But they'd better make the whole thing popular enough that for a decade people will want to make that commitment to go Suncorp.

And by the way Ipswich, Logan etc - it's all South Queensland...

docbrown

Coach
SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS
SOUTH QUEENSLAND JETS
RIVERCITY KOOKABURRAS
BRISBANE BOMBERS
IPSWICH JETS
BRISBANE WOMBATS
BRISBANE BUFFALOES
SOUTH QUEENSLAND LIZARDS
Ipswich Dingoes
Ipswich Buffaloes
Ipswich Crocodiles
Ipswich Gliders
Ipswich Hawks
Ipswich Scorpions
Brisbane - Barracudas Brisbane - Bayliners
Brisbane - Bobcats
Brisbane - Bombers
Brisbane - Braves
Brisbane - Brewers
Brisbane - Buccaneers
Brisbane - Heat
Eastern - Stingrays