What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

You are part of a group you dribbling geniused c**k gobbling hypocritical death riding sack of non comprehending batshit. You're part of a group that continually goes out of its way to put down the bears. The lol@50uff$ mob poke fun at the rabbletohs, only a moron like yourself thinks that it's anything but a bit of fun. You on the other hand are driven by long standing and petty hate and, it seems, an unhealthy obsession with circle jerking.

I'll won't sully this thread any further by pointing out your plethora of flaws and raving hypocrisy.

show me where i can jump into a thread dedicated to death riding the bears and use homeless people to get cheap laughs with a group of other pea brained morons, if you do not get it, there is no hope

why are you so angry? did you miss the last session :lol::lol::lol:

back on topic the south queensland Gliders?

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+a...mmals/Common+mammals+of+south-east+Queensland

Crushers is a good name. But it would be better for a Sunshine Coast team, seeing as that's where the sugar industry is mostly based, rather than a Brisbane-based side. The Ipswich based side can't use it because Crushers Leagues Club still exists, and it's on the northside. Which was a mistake in the first place really.

What about Crocodiles, terribly under used animal name. NBL have it and sure there is no crocs in SWQLD, well dads mates once said he saw one while fishing... blind drunk.

boonboon

Juniors
Firstly no stupid American names , I think teams should go with Australian names -hence I like the red due to the roo being very Aussie. But their are a lot of other underused Aussie animals -koalas already used by qld rugby so no go their although I have a soft spot for the drop bears lol. I think the real option for a new team is the wombats- very Australian very tough, hard, strong, immovable and local to the region and the nation -what do people think why isn't the wombat used more in Aussie sport but especially rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess it is seen as the Australian version of a pig? Not too many clubs name themselves pigs or cows etc? Maybe too soft and cuddly?

Personally I like it and reckon it would be a great sentimental fave, who doesn't go ahhh, when they see a Wombat? couple of exisitng Wombat clubs logos

wombat1.jpg

Logo_wombats_rc.GIF

WombatsLogo03.gif

Someone I was just talking to suggested Geckos. And in SEQ there are quite a few of those South American geckos. They're not native, but in the tradition of cane toads they need not be. I couldn't find any existing teams called Geckos so I've used a Lizards.

lizards.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
Maybe according to google maps but demographically they couldn't be more happier to not be Brisbane. I don't understand why people who clearly never lived or even been to the area "think" they should be called something that they're not? So I guess we make the locals void? What a great start, let's make the supporters that the bid is trying to capture offside by naming the would be franchise something which it isn't. My old man, a long time Jet's supporter and Ipswich rate payer will be over the moon when he finds out that the proposed Ipswich team is now Brisbane.:roll:

No wonder a few here also think that the Central Coast is part of Sydney, geography obviously wasn't taught at a couple of schools...

There is over 50kms of rugged terrain and a massive waterway between Gosford and the Sydney Metro area - not the same between Ipswich and Brisbane.

Council areas mean nothing. Parra's catchment incorporates Holroyd, Fairfield, Baulkham Hills, Blacktown, Hornsby and Epping council areas. I'm sure someone living in Mays Hill paying rates to Holroyd is worried about their area not being represented in the NRL.

If the Ipswich bid is NOT talking about a local home ground they are f*cking kidding.

flippikat

Bench
What about Crocodiles, terribly under used animal name. NBL have it and sure there is no crocs in SWQLD, well dads mates once said he saw one while fishing... blind drunk.

Actually you have a point - mammals, fish and birds are well represented in the NRL, but no team has an actual living reptile as it's mascot.

Dragons don't really count, being mythical creatures (well, there is the Komodo Dragon but that's not the sort of dragon depicted on the St George-Illawarra logo)

Australia has several species of reptile (and amphibians for that matter) just ripe for sports teams...

Is there many buffalos in Ipswich?

No there isn't but there aren't any Tigers in West Sydney, Broncos in Brisbane, Knights in Newcastle, Dragons in St. George/Illawarra, Panthers in Penrith and Titans in Gold Coast either.

Sure Crocodiles and Buffalo's aren't in Ipswich but they are native to Australia and if I had to guess I'm sure a wombat hasn't been seen in around Ipswich for quite some time either. Plus "Ipswich Buffaloes" or "Ipswich Crocodiles" has a decent ring to it. Crocs can be blue/green colour like the Jets, Buffalos can be black & greenish it needed.

img-thing

texas-brahmas.jpg

2443.gif

Last edited:
Another I had for the Brisbane side was to use something like a Bull as the logo. But because of the Qld Bulls cricket team they couldn't be called the Bulls. So I thought of other names they could use while still using the Bulls logo. I thought of a few things and one of them was Brisbane Bruisers but with the Bull logo. But then I decided it might be too close to the Cowboys logo. So I have adapted it to be a Boar or Razorback. Boars would be an okay name too, but I stuck with the Bruisers idea for now. And changed Brisbane to Sth Qld. Try and ignore the dodgy work on the name but I had to make Arkansas into Bruisers. Naturally opposition fans would have to call them Losers, but try to ignore that too. It's more about the concept of using a generic sort of name with a specific symbol, in this case a boar.

arkansasinq.jpg

Last edited:

rednblack

Juniors
Parra's catchment incorporates Holroyd, Fairfield, Baulkham Hills, Blacktown, Hornsby and Epping council areas. I'm sure someone living in Mays Hill paying rates to Holroyd is worried about their area not being represented in the NRL.

You forgot the most obvious one - Parramatta city council.
Also, Epping is not a local government area. The suburb itself is split between Hornsby, Parramatta and Ryde councils.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
Creating a name based around the airbase and figthers based there would be a good mascot move. Obviously Jets cant and wont be used but Pigs/Boars/Hogs/Razorbacks/Warthogs/any other name for a pig, in honour of the f-111's would be a good name. Or Hornets for the new Super Hornets there.

Otherwise Kokkaburra's is probably the best sounding otherwise.

Ipswich-Logan Razorbacks has a good ring to it.

bobmar28

Bench
Which is why I suggested South Brisbane would be a good halfway option between Ipswich-Logan and South Queensland. One is specific, the other vague.

Plus it would have the advantage of "Brisbane" in its name, which would be good for marketing/sponsorships.

I still think a specific regional name would be best - If Toowoomba is part of the clubs junior catchment it doesn't need representation in the name. It will still be the closest club geographically, and the club would still run clinics and player visits, and offer career pathways.

Plenty of current NRL teams have specific names but are active outside their name region - EG Newcastle streach all the way to Port Macquarie, Gold Coast stretches to Coffs Harbour, Canberra has the whole Riverina, Melbourne all of Victoria, et cetera. Warriors an entire country.

With the mascot, I hope to see something unique, original and relevant to the region. No random animals just for the sake of it. Has to mean something. The Best "Brands" in the NRL are ones that are completely driven by the region it represents -

Parramatta - "where the Eels lay down", Cumberland colours
Easts - c**k crowing in east, french colours from similar mascot
Souths - Red for redfern (waratah), green for local gov, rabbitoh for original players occupation
St George - Red and White Dragons. Red used is that of the Illawarra flame tree.
Penrith - Is the Panther real? Colours are a mess though
Cronulla - Beach -> Surf club colours -> Sharks

Ipswich-Logan Valleys - representing the river valleys of South-Western Queensland, colours including maroon for Queensland plus a couple of more specific ones based on the mascot chosen - light blue and white of a kookaburra would be a good choice.

or something like

South Brisbane Jets (not going to happen but) - Airforce base mascot, chose local colours. Maybe one colour from Ipswich LGA and another from Logan.

I don't know what it will be, but I hope it isn't a completely tacky marketing department name. Like Titans.

You mean that name chosen by the fans?

Last edited:
Hogs I don't mind. They could then sign Mundine and any other ball hog around. But if it fits into the F1-11 thing, which I didn't know about, it makes sense, would make for a good logo and I think fans would like it.

bobmar28

Bench
No there isn't but there aren't any Tigers in West Sydney, Broncos in Brisbane, Knights in Newcastle, Dragons in St. George/Illawarra, Panthers in Penrith and Titans in Gold Coast either.

Sure Crocodiles and Buffalo's aren't in Ipswich but they are native to Australia and if I had to guess I'm sure a wombat hasn't been seen in around Ipswich for quite some time either. Plus "Ipswich Buffaloes" or "Ipswich Crocodiles" has a decent ring to it. Crocs can be blue/green colour like the Jets, Buffalos can be black & greenish it needed.

img-thing

texas-brahmas.jpg

2443.gif

There are Jets in Ipswich. RAAF Jets.