What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Goddo

Bench
Ipswich-Logan Raptors (as in the Jets or Eagles/Hawks/Falcons, no necessarily the dinosaur

I like the idea of Ipswich-Logan Hornets... its looking likely that F/A-18 Super Hornets will be plugging a 8 year gap before we get F-35 Lightning II's. Sure, they will be mostly in Williamstown near Newcastle, but...

What else? Hercules? Globemaster?

docbrown

Coach
I travel 40 minutes to Homebush to watch a team from Canterbury play even though I live in Liverpool. And aren't the CC Bears claiming that people from North Sydney will travel all the way to the Central Coast to watch a team called Central Coast?

Well I travel to watch my team too but it can be offputting if you're not a hardcore fan, especially if you can just watch it on TV.

As for the Bears I'd say they'd get a minority of North Sydney fans travelling to Gosford. The games at Gosford would get enough fans purely from the Central Coast itself. The people in North Sydney could more easily go to away games at Parramatta, Homebush, Leichardt, SFS, Brookvale and of course the North Sydney Oval match. So unlike Ipswich, they're not really relying on people to travel the distance.

I like the idea of Ipswich-Logan Hornets... its looking likely that F/A-18 Super Hornets will be plugging a 8 year gap before we get F-35 Lightning II's. Sure, they will be mostly in Williamstown near Newcastle, but...

What else? Hercules? Globemaster?

I'd be happy with Hornets, Raptors, Hawks or Falcons to be honest. The more I think about it, the more these 4 names suit the place.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2012/03/06/lions-look-to-ipswich/

Lions look to Ipswich

SPRINGFIELD is now ground zero in the battle of the AFL and NRL as the Brisbane Lions step up the search for their new training and administration home.

The Lions have called for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from land owners and managers in south-east Queensland as they look to develop a multi-million dollar elite sport and community facility away from the Gabba, which will remain their home game venue.

The Springfield Land Corporation together with the Ipswich City Council have been involved in discussions with the Lions since mid 2011 and remain firmly focused on bringing the AFL club to the Ipswich region.

A permanent move by the AFL club to Springfield would be a blow to the prospects of the Ipswich NRL bid that also plans to use Springfield for the same purpose.

Brisbane Lions communications manager, Dave Donaghy, confirmed the Lions interest in a move to a rugby league heartland.

"Springfield is certainly an area that interests the Brisbane Lions as it is a developing, growing area," Mr Donaghy said.

"At the moment we're talking to as many potential suitors as we possibly can. A whole range of parties have expressed an interest."

The Western Corridor will have its training facilities based initially at Brothers, but the bid team has held talks with Springfield Land Corporation about basing its academy and training field there in the long term. Bid team member Brad Wolens said was going to be "a real competition" between the codes.

"This is a strategic plan on behalf of the AFL to try and stay a step ahead of the NRL. It wants to get into the western corridor area and get established before the NRL bid comes to fruition," he said.

"The NRL needs to be mindful of the battle they are in for….and with the AFL we are battling against boot loads of money."

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale, the Western Corridor NRL bid patron, said the Lions move has "put pressure on the NRL" to make sure the Western Corridor bid gets up.

"The Lions and the AFL see Ipswich as a prime growth area which is absolutely fantastic. If the NRL doesn't get its act together and see the potential of the western corridor, they'll miss out," he said.

"Springfield is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. We are seen as a rugby league town but there a lot of people that play Aussie Rules and the Lions have done their research. The AFL understands it is all about the fans, the juniors and the growth of the game."

Donaghy said the NRL bid team's interest in Springfield wouldn't have any effect on the Lion's final decision.

"First and foremost were just after the best facility for us wherever that is." he said.

"Ultimately, it's also about the best facility for the community, regardless of whether rugby league is there or not."

Western Corridor bid team chairman Steve Johnson said "the AFL has the time and funds to be very calculated and strategic."

"They have access to the same demographic figures as us and realise that without an NRL club in the corridor the battle to win the hearts and minds of the fastest growing population of kids will be made easier," he said.

"If we miss out now then the next generation of players and supporters, and importantly volunteers, will be AFL people and the rugby league heartland will no longer exist."

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/03/10/bombers-are-urged-to-ditch-for-ipswich/

Bombers urged to join bid

IPSWICH Mayor Paul Pisasale has challenged the Brisbane Bombers NRL bid to join forces with the Western Corridor bid and launch a united front to the Australian Rugby League Commission.

Cr Pisasale, the Western Corridor bid patron, said the Western Corridor bid was a superior proposal and "about what is best for rugby league", adding that the Bombers should ditch their own bid and pool resources behind Ipswich.

Bombers bid chief Craig Davison said he was "flattered" by the invitation but declined the offer.

Cr Pisasale said the offer was still open.

"All they've got to do is shift to the west and they'll be part of a great bid," Cr Pisasale said.

"Our bid is about introducing more people to rugby league and providing a true expansion of the game. It is not just about making a profit.

"It is an outstanding bid because it is about young people, the players and what is best for the game. All I am saying to the Bombers is to come and join our bid and be a part of it. That way it will be stronger.

"I still believe that the Brisbane bid will take fans off the Broncos. If a team out here gets in they will have the whole growing western corridor behind them. They'll have fans from Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba and out to Dalby and beyond. It would be a very profitable club."

Mr Davison said his bid was "too far down the track to take up that offer".

"I believe we have got two good bids with two lots of passionate people running them - both Ipswich and Brisbane. I am flattered by the request but we've got a strategy in place that encompasses a lot of areas of the community. We appreciate the offer but we are focussed on heading in our own direction.

"But I'm sure that whichever party wins, they will encompass the juniors in all the various areas. If Ipswich wins then I am sure they will pick up juniors in Brisbane to support them. If the Bombers win, I'm sure we'll support all the juniors in the various areas in Ipswich.

"We know that a team playing out of Brisbane will win one of the spots. It will be either Ipswich or the Bombers.

"I am happy for Paul to give me a call any time that he likes. If that discussion happens, I'll tell him thanks but no thanks."

Goddo

Bench
"We know that a team playing out of Brisbane will win one of the spots. It will be either Ipswich or the Bombers.

Bears fans should write that down over and over again until it sinks in. Its Perth vs Gosford now for spot two.

Bears fans should write that down over and over again until it sinks in. Its Perth vs Gosford now for spot two.

Oh ok, because they said so it must be true. Don't worry about what any official with pull says, let's instead take the bid bosses words as gospel because they are obviously not biased in any form, or shape.

Noa

First Grade
"At the moment we're talking to as many potential suitors as we possibly can. A whole range of parties have expressed an interest."

i.e Trying to con as many councils as possible to fork out to pay for facilities.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there any area of australia that doesn't lay claim to being "the fastest growing" (aside from Adelaide of course!)

Shame a merger of the two bids would make it a shoe in alongside Perth for the two expansion spots. Bombers are either very confident or not really bothered if they get a team or not?

bobmar28

Bench
Oh ok, because they said so it must be true. Don't worry about what any official with pull says, let's instead take the bid bosses words as gospel because they are obviously not biased in any form, or shape.

The western corridor NRL bid is primed for acceptance according to the Courier Mail today.
They also say channel 9 and channel 10 are both desperate for another game out of Suncorp each week.

Last edited:
The western corridor NRL bid is primed for acceptance according to the Courier Mail today.
They also say channel 9 and channel 10 are both desperate for another game out of Suncorp each week.

I've read it. It only implies that the networks want a game without any quote from any network chief or even associate. It also implies that they are battling the AFL, again we haven't heard that before.

It states that their population is 635k, some inflating being done there. But that's ok. They named players or sportsmen from the region and felt that adding Shane Watson would give some credential? They didn't say anything about the bid, any relevant news or topics besides one, "Jagera" will be their name according to Steve Johnson, which is the regions aboriginal title. That's innovative and I like it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...idor-growth-area/story-e6frep5x-1226295796434

Rival codes battle for foothold in western corridor growth area

Chris Garry
The Sunday Mail (Qld)
March 11, 2012 12:00AM

Date/Time: 2012:03:10 15:00:10 Source: The Courier-Mail

BRISBANE'S western corridor is shaping as the new epicentre for code expansion, as rival sports fight for the allegiance of the growth area's endless supply of young families.

The Sunday Mail can today reveal details of the battle for Brisbane's west and the bold business plan that has the Western Corridor's NRL bid primed for acceptance, including team name, jersey design and future stadium.

The NRL are not the only organisation desperate to leave their footprints in the area with the Brisbane Lions and the AFL separately planning a potential move west.

On average five families move to the western corridor every day.

The region encapsulates Logan, Ipswich, Springfield and the Darling Downs.

Ipswich City's current population is 170,000 but the State Government forecasts it will grow to 435,000 by 2031, add in the booms in Springfield and Logan and you have a population rocketing towards one million within 20 years.

This enormous hub of young, flat screen television-watching families is one of the reasons why Channel 9 executives are privately backing bid manager Steve Johnson's grand plans for an NRL team.

Channel 9 and Channel 10 are both desperate for another game out of Suncorp Stadium each week.

But the Lions have their own ambitions to ensure the corridor does not become league dominated.

Their goal centres on a parcel of real estate in Springfield that Johnson's team also needs to deliver their vision.

The Lions want to set up a state of the art training facility, 10,000-seat boutique stadium and youth academy in Springfield, a city set for a population of 105,000 within 15 years.

However, Johnson and his bid co-ordinator Brian Canavan have also drawn plans for headquarters on the exact piece of land the Lions have targeted.

The Lions base will be ready for the 2016 season, while the ARL Commission are likely to set 2015 as the year for NRL expansion meaning league could get first dibs.

Johnson, who regards Gold Coast Suns player Karmichael Hunt as a traitor "who should never be allowed back in rugby league", said the game could not let AFL convert the region's league-loving youth.

"We both want the same land for a similar facility, I just hope rugby league officials allow us to fight them for it," Johnson said.

"We will be working on this bid until we get a licence, even if it's in 2020 we will still be here, still committed, because our plan will see rugby league provide life paths for young kids.

"The game cannot afford to lose this region."

The Lions' Springfield facility would host AFLQ finals games and government funding may end up dictating the rival codes share the site. AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said this week his code was not at war with the NRL, despite spending millions of dollars in establishing GWS Giants in Sydney's west complete with league pin-up Israel Folau, who was raised in Ipswich.

Lions CEO Michael Holmes repeated Demetriou's mantra and said his club were not at war with the western corridor.

"I simply want more people playing sport. As an AFL man I hope that these kids take up AFL," he said.

"We are considering a handful of expressions of interest for the facility and Springfield is among those. We want this base to serve us for thirty years plus. It's a critical piece in our strategy."

Goddo

Bench
This has been comming for a while. I think it was not long after Ipswich anounced their bid that the Lions said they wanted the same patch of land.

If Ipswich wins the licence they get the spoils, maybe sharing some training facilities. If the Ipswich bid is knocked back, the Lions win the land.

A Brisbane side is a must for expansion from the games point of view. No question.

Perth at worst case scenario can wait, but that isn't ideal.

Gosford is iffy now and more so in future, so if they don't win now there won't ever be a side there (unless there is a partial relocation of a Sydney club).

Goddo

Bench
Keep dreaming.. more good news for the Bears!

l.jpg

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I think the map nails it. Brisbane (Maroon i.e. Red), Gold Coast (Blue) and the new team Green - preferably dark green instead of light green, like a forest green.

Goddo

Bench
I like the name, really nice solution to the problems we were discussing a few pages back. "Western Corridor" was bad, Ipswich-Logan too specific and fails the "Brisbane market" test, and "South Queensland" already has 2 teams.

An accurate description would be:

"Southern Brisbane suburban belt club from Ipswich to Logan that also encompasses regional Queensland to the West of Brisbane" Jets

Jagera is a really good name in that context.

Last edited:

Latest posts