What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

GAZF

First Grade
Probably not the best place to post this but I'd like to see the bid push their identity in this direction more than the "Jagera Jets" look.

NRL-SQJ-00-300x205.gif

NRL-SQJ-1-300x205.gif

docbrown

Coach
Probably not the best place to post this but I'd like to see the bid push their identity in this direction more than the "Jagera Jets" look.

NRL-SQJ-00-300x205.gif

NRL-SQJ-1-300x205.gif

:clap::clap:

Gaz, when I become CEO (joking :p) you will be the sole jersey designer for the comp.

That's the exact same colour scheme I've been saying since day one.

Jets - Green
Broncos - Maroon
Titans - Blue

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh good colors. Needs a better logo though.I doubt either Brisbane bid will have a rich owner. They will be basing their sustainability on fan base and corporate support.

GAZF

First Grade
:clap::clap:

That's the exact same colour scheme I've been saying since day one.

Jets - Green
Broncos - Maroon
Titans - Blue

Given that Ipswich are already green and that Qld has zero green teams (and only 2 in the NRL) they'd be nuts to go with anything else.

Needs a better logo though.

Not sure what you mean by better, we had the same opposing points of view on my Reds logo. There's not a lot of ways to portray a jet without it dating quickly so I kept it simple.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am one of the few that don;t actually mind the Bombers or the logo I have to sheepishly admit! Has a heap of marketing potential.

They will not be called the Jets for the same reason GC are not called the Dolphins. No way Newtown will allow it. If the bid is to be succesful it needs to encompass a wide geographic region and basically being a rebadged Q'land cup club will not be enough to survive in the NRL. It is why we will see the SQ somethings with 2 or 3 Q'land cup clubs partnering them. That's if they get in.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I am one of the few that don;t actually mind the Bombers or the logo I have to sheepishly admit! Has a heap of marketing potential.

They will not be called the Jets for the same reason GC are not called the Dolphins. No way Newtown will allow it. If the bid is to be succesful it needs to encompass a wide geographic region and basically being a rebadged Q'land cup club will not be enough to survive in the NRL. It is why we will see the SQ somethings with 2 or 3 Q'land cup clubs partnering them. That's if they get in.

Redcliffe challenged the GC because they were both in SEQ and Redcliffe were just looking out for their brand in the local rugby league market. The GC didn't even take it to court as an act of goodwill.

Newtown is 1000kms away in a different state, they'll have no say in any new teams and if they do decide to kick up a stink I really doubt they'd be able to stop the SEQ team from using that moniker.

GAZF

First Grade

The Bombers logo is ok, would be great if the wings and overbearing wordmark weren't there.

The differences between the Dolphins and the Jets are that a) Newtown and Ipswich aren't in the same market and b) Newtown don't have plans to get back into the NRL. Your over reason is quite valid but I still think that they'll go with the Jets.

Gaz, did you base that logo off a F-22 or a JSF?

JSF. I made the body more narrow, the wings more angular and got rid of the tip on the nose. Not an accurate representation but it works better as a logo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree, Newtown have an even stronger brand to defend and merchandise to go with it. No way a new bid is going to create ill-feeling from day one by taking a heritage clubs brand. Shame as I think it is a good name and relevant to the area, though again I don't think basing an NRL club on an existing club is a good idea as it instantly puts fans of other Q'land clubs off supporting them.

gyallop

Juniors
They have already said they won't be called the Jets as that is synonymous with Ipswich and the bid isn't just Ipswich even though the Jets are driving it. western corridor is Logan Ipswich and Toowoomba. Must say if both they and the bombers are relying on crowds to sustain them they should be given the licence as they are a not for profit community owned team and bombers privately owned team to make money for the owners.

bobmar28

Bench

Are you dense? Gold Coast had never had the name Dolphins.
Ipswich have had the name Jets for 27 years and you are telling me Newtown will suddenly "not allow it" because Ipswich look like getting an NRL franchise? Why didn't they "not allow it" 27 years ago?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No not really but thanks for asking!

You cannot compare a Q'land cup team using the name Jets to a NRL side using it. Also this bid is not the Ipswich jets!

gyallop

Juniors
the Gold Coast tried to trademark the name Dolphins before from memory they had the public vote on the Titans and the Redcliffe Dolphins who own that mark contested that and won. Newtown Jets have trademarked their name so it would be difficult for another Jets playing rugby league to be registered (like GC V Redcliffe) and having a registered trade mark is a NRL requirement.

WayneBennett

Juniors
If Newtown and Ipswich thrash out a deal, they may be able to talk about a possible merger, ala tigers. wear the green of the home side, blue sleeves or old Bluebags
Newtown logo on the sleeve. Alternate home away strips predominately Blue away or Green?

Just a thought.

Just would be good to see the Jets name return in some guise

docbrown

Coach
The Bombers logo is ok, would be great if the wings and overbearing wordmark weren't there.

I dislike the Kingsford-Smith image -

166042-110714-brisbane-bombers-logo.jpg

If they were genuine about using the wings concept, why not go back to the source - the RAF -

781_001.jpg

Not necessarily needing the crown at the top or the exact same wings, but they could've down a BB (but with one reversed) in the middle, similar to a Royal Cypher.

That said I also suggested a Royal Cypher when I was suggesting calling them SOUTH QUEENSLAND KINGS (I still think they should be called that) with Applesauce's Gryphons mascot suggestion. That was a cypher with SQK but Jets could be SQJ obviously.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
the Gold Coast tried to trademark the name Dolphins before from memory they had the public vote on the Titans and the Redcliffe Dolphins who own that mark contested that and won. Newtown Jets have trademarked their name so it would be difficult for another Jets playing rugby league to be registered (like GC V Redcliffe) and having a registered trade mark is a NRL requirement.
But also Redcliffe Dolphins had to spend a sizeable amount in doing so.

RedVee

First Grade

NRL-SQJ-00-300x205.gif

NRL-SQJ-1-300x205.gif

What shade of green is that? Shamrock Green like both Glasgow & Boston Celtics?

Re name? Maybe they'll go another J name to go along with Jagera? Jagera Jaguars?

Latest posts