What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

GAZF

First Grade
If they were genuine about using the wings concept, why not go back to the source - the RAF -

781_001.jpg

Not necessarily needing the crown at the top or the exact same wings, but they could've down a BB (but with one reversed) in the middle, similar to a Royal Cypher.

The wings just look kind of hokey to me and would need to be shortened up so the logo isn't too wide.

What shade of green is that? Shamrock Green like both Glasgow & Boston Celtics?

Haven't got a name for the green, its not shamrock though.

Re name? Maybe they'll go another J name to go along with Jagera? Jagera Jaguars?

I really hope they don't go with Jagera. Or alliteration for the sake of it.

bobmar28

Bench
the Gold Coast tried to trademark the name Dolphins before from memory they had the public vote on the Titans and the Redcliffe Dolphins who own that mark contested that and won. Newtown Jets have trademarked their name so it would be difficult for another Jets playing rugby league to be registered (like GC V Redcliffe) and having a registered trade mark is a NRL requirement.

Once again, Gold Coast had never been known as the Dolphins. Ipswich have been the Jets since 1985. When did Newtown trade mark their name and why have they never challenged Ipswich regarding that name.
Ipswich have an RAAF jet base in their council area. Where is Newtowns jet base? At Mascot?
If a team can't use a name they have had for 27 years then we have reached a sad state of affairs.
A poll was conducted by Doc Brown and the clear choice of nickname for SEQ by RL fans was the Jets.
Considering all that, if Newtown still launches a court challenge for the name they will look like a toddler throwing a tantrum over a toy.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
This discussion has already been done. New York Jets were actually the first to trademark Jets in Australia not Newtown. When Newcastle decided to go Jets it was New York they had to talk to NOT Newtown despite being in different codes. Guess what, so long as they avoid iconography that is similar to NY they will be fine.

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. The bid has already said they would not be the Jets

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have said they are not going to be an Ipswich team, they are not going to call themselves Jets and they recognise to be sustainable they have to A) play in and represent some part of Brisbane and B) encompass a wide geographical area currently described as the Western Corridor.

Apart from that, yeh, ipswich jets is a good name!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
They have said they are not going to be an Ipswich team, they are not going to call themselves Jets and they recognise to be sustainable they have to A) play in and represent some part of Brisbane and B) encompass a wide geographical area currently described as the Western Corridor.

Apart from that, yeh, ipswich jets is a good name!

Nothing is set in stone until they actually join the NRL. The Titans were going to be Dolphins, Perth were going to be the Pumas, Melbourne the Monarchs, Adelaide the Aces, the Chargers were called the Gladiators for a single offseason. If RL1908.com was still up I'm sure there'd be other examples I could use ;-)

South Queensland Jets is such a great name and relevant to the area that hopefully they'll listen to fans and use Jets for the NRL team and the promote Ipswich Brothers up as the bid's Ipswich Queensland Cup team (Which they've wanted for a long time).

Spitty

Juniors
I know absolutely nothing about the Ipswich/West Brisbane area.

Does it compare to West Sydney?

It appears closer to the city centre on a map, but whats the transport like between there and the city?

Is it the Western edge of Brisbane similar to Penrith or are there other Suburbs and CBD's west of there?

I know the West is growing quickly, but are their any natural obstacles stopping it's growth at some point? Or will the Western Suburbs of Brisbane eventually join Towoomba? I know that might seem miles away but 50 years ago no one would have imagined Sydeny and Penrith would be joined.

I'm interested to know if the region has a separate identity to Brisbane itself and hence worthy of a team. But I'm also concerned about a western suburbs team playing in the CBD (although Tigers do it). But I couldn't imagine the West Sydney A-League team or GWS playing at SFS or SCG. They just wouldn't get support.

applesauce

Bench
I know absolutely nothing about the Ipswich/West Brisbane area.

Does it compare to West Sydney?

It appears closer to the city centre on a map, but whats the transport like between there and the city?

Is it the Western edge of Brisbane similar to Penrith or are there other Suburbs and CBD's west of there?

I know the West is growing quickly, but are their any natural obstacles stopping it's growth at some point? Or will the Western Suburbs of Brisbane eventually join Towoomba? I know that might seem miles away but 50 years ago no one would have imagined Sydeny and Penrith would be joined.

I'm interested to know if the region has a separate identity to Brisbane itself and hence worthy of a team. But I'm also concerned about a western suburbs team playing in the CBD (although Tigers do it). But I couldn't imagine the West Sydney A-League team or GWS playing at SFS or SCG. They just wouldn't get support.

The Gold Coast will join Brisbane before Ipswich joins Brisbane/Towoomba.

Having a team in Ispwich would be like getting Parra fans to the SFS. At some point an Ipswich team will need to move back to Ipswich/Springfield in a smaller stadium. If they can garner enough support to warrant it that far out from Suncorp is yet to be seen.

I think this is why combination names need to be incorporated.

Ipswich Logan Magpies/Jets/Whatevers (should get a fair bit of support from Brisbanes southern suburbs like Sunnybank south to Logan + Ipswich/Springfield potential 500k+)

South Queensland Crushers/Whatevers (get everyone outside Broncos/Titans but has no real identity due to its broad name)

gyallop

Juniors
Spitty Ipswich is about the same distance to Brisbane as Parramatta is to Sydney but is geographically as much as urban sprawl can be separate areas. The big plus is that Suncorp is on the same side of Brisbane and has direct train access ( no changes) and highway access almost the entire trip. People in Ipswich are fiercely from Ipswich , not Brisbane , and rugby league fans before they are fans of a club so I think those that go to Broncos games will still do that and go to the new clubs games as well but if the Bombers get in they wont support them if that makes sense.

Spitty

Juniors
Thanks guys it answers some questions for me.

I think that if there were to be another team in Brisbane it should represent something other than being another inner city team.

Parra fans going to the SFS every other weekend is highly unlikely. But I think that's just because of the transport system in Sydney. The same scenario in Brisbane probably isn't as big a deal though. Still not ideal, but I guess it's an investment in the future.

I can imagine the support Parra would have now if they'd been the only Western Sydney team. In 1947 they were a suburban team, fast forward 65 years they'd be a regional team, a powerhouse. I guess if growth around that area of Brisbane happens at the same rate as it did in Sydney that's the potential scenario.

But..... can they survive financially today while that growth is happening?

Goddo

Bench
Shortly after, Gallop attended a businessmen's lunch in Brisbane. He and the AFL's executive commissioner, Andrew Demetriou, were the principal speakers in what was, in effect, a debate over which code was supreme in Australia.
Demetriou chanted his favourite mantra, the number of children playing Auskick, the AFL's modified game, and the indigenous code's genuine boast - crowd figures in Melbourne. Gallop concentrated on national TV ratings, where rugby league is a clear winner, albeit thanks to State of Origin viewers.
Sitting in the audience, Grant was impressed with Gallop's clear points win over the boss of a code which had lured two stars of the Brisbane Broncos to defect for million-dollar contracts.
But Gallop, buoyed by his victory and forgetting he could no longer speak unilaterally on rugby league, made an error. He announced that a second Brisbane team was an inevitability.
There are sound reasons for this. TV wants it and will pay more for it. Queenslanders are the most parochial fans in the nation. They watch, in order, the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and then the Storm, because the Melbourne club has three of the code's best players, all Queenslanders.
Channel Nine and Fox Sports have indicated they will pay more for broadcasting rights if there is a second Brisbane team, because it increases their programming and subscription opportunities. But Grant was dismayed, telling his fellow lunch guests Gallop was out of order.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-of-friends-20120608-201dh.html#ixzz1xGkFDkuh

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Old article I stumbled upon but couldn't remember reading here.

NRL bid team to break new ground
by: Chris Garry From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) March 11, 2012 12:00AM

THE western corridor NRL team will be Australia's first professional sporting club to be known by an indigenous name.

If the bid is successful, the club is set to be named Jagera after the indigenous tribe of the region.

While there will also be a nickname attached, bid front man Steve Johnson is determined to recognise the area's strong indigenous links.

The first Aborigine to sit in Australian parliament, Neville Bonner, was a member of the Jagera people. Bonner spent his political life in Ipswich as a senator for the Liberal Party.

While fans have considered the corridor team to be inactive, Johnson's group has been anything but. They have secured an international property developer as their major sponsor and a jersey sponsor in Alanic, who design outfits for Indian Premier League (IPL) teams.

The corridor's jersey will prominently feature indigenous artwork, much like the All Stars jersey.

The team will play out of Suncorp Stadium during its formative years but a 25,000-capacity stadium is set to be built in Ripley Valley once the rail network servicing the area is completed.

Johnson said the team would need to attract crowds in the region of 25,000 to make a profit from playing at Suncorp Stadium.

"I'm very confident we can attract that many," he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/nrl-bid-team-to-break-new-ground/story-fn6ck6f9-1226295952578

Seems very strange that they'd go for an unknown jersey manufacturer when Brisbane has Nike, the Gold Coast has Adidas and the Bombers bid team has Canterbury.

http://www.alanic.com/rugby-league-colorit.html

GAZF

First Grade
That won't last, the Bears bid jersey has a relatively unknown manufacturer as well. If they get in I'm sure another mob will throw money at them.

The indigenous patterns is a negative IMO. The All Stars jersey celebrates the culture while the bid team is using it purely as a means to attract fans/dollars. I hope the bid team does the right thing and drops this from their identity.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/09/07/western-corridor-nrl-bid-still-alive-and-well/
Western Corridor NRL bid alive

Joel Gould | 7th September 2012 5:33 AM

THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid still has its sights set on a possible entry to the 2016 competition despite suspicions that expansion has been put on the back burner.

When the $1.025 billion five-year broadcast deal with Channel Nine and Fox Sports was announced recently the subject of expansion was conspicuous by its absence.

Broadcasters indicated they had not paid for an extra game but Western Corridor NRL bid boss Steve Johnson told the QT that there was still hope of extra teams being included at the back end of the deal.

"The always stated position by some of the NRL clubs that they would rather see expansion at the end of the five years so that they could consolidate," Johnson said.

"But there is another school of thought that expansion should be staged over 2016 and 2017 so that the expanded game is there when we go back to the market at the end of 2017. That way we get a better return (for the next deal).

"That would give the clubs three years to get themselves resourced and sustainable. Anything that got us into the competition inside five years would be a great result for us.

"By 2030 we are going to have one million people living in the corridor. We believe our numbers are compelling...and they are compelling now. They are only going to get bigger in the future."

Johnson said the threat of AFL was real and should not be discounted.

"We don't want to lose ground to the AFL. It is easy to say that we are a league heartland and will always be there. But if you don't look after your grassroots you end up with the same problems that NSW has with the game in the bush dying," he said

"All we can do is state our case and keep sending out facts about our bid that are compelling.

"But it is a decision the game has to make.

"In the interim we will keep working on our relationships and education pathways that we have in place now and continue our work with the Jets, Toowoomba and Souths-Logan."

EXPANSION QUEST

NRL expansion is in on hold for the foreseeable future
ARLC expected to make decision known soon
Western Corridor bid team still confident

Quidgybo

Bench
For what it's worth, I really like the Jagera name. It has the potential to bring a unifying identity synonymous with Rugby League to a large loosely defined region (South of Brisbane and west to Toowoomba) in the same way as the name St George does in NSW. I think it could become one of our strongest and most widely recognised brands.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What facts about the bid?

Of all the bids the two Brisbane ones ae the lightest on in detail of how they will run and deliver sustainable expansion.

Gozilo

Juniors
Brisbane, Perth and Wellington will be included next. Perth due to the obvious time-zone which make TV rights more expensive and spreads the game so the NRL win all over the place there. Brisbane or anywhere in Queensland to use the talent of the QLD Cup and including a team like Ipswich is perfect. And Wellington for the same reasons, spread the game and use talent that is already there.
Due to this the NRL are going to overlook teams that deserve spots like Central Coast, money is huge as well because no one has 5mil to splash around and hope that the club goes well and not end up like the Western Force, no achievments in 7 years.

Latest posts