What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is after November 1 the decision on where to expand with be with the Independant Commission. So David Gallop will have little to no say in the matter.

Gallop is the mouth piece for the NRL, the ARL want these teams in, News seems to want them, Gallop as CEO will have a say and reality is there isn't exactly large amount of options ready. Only big point is if TV $'s make it financially viable and if the IC is I or if the clubs will pull the puppets strings and say no expansion so they get a bigger slice of the TV deal pie.

Ispwich have a massive amount of work to do in just a few months to better the Reds or Bears bids.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How many Sydney-born players are there in the AFL?

There's a few. The Swans had virtually none to begin with but in the last 10-15 years it's slowly grown. Our star player Keiran Jack (Garry Jack's (former Balmain player) son) is probably the most prominent. I don't know how the exact numbers break down but it's growing. There's a NSW AFL academy now. And the Swans captain who just retired, Brett Kirk, was also a New South Welshman.

bobmar28

Bench
It's not about which state has how many, and which state is owed one. It's about where can we put NRL clubs that will have a sustainable long term future. That, and where do we have bids that are ready for the bigtime. CC ticks both those boxes. There will be another QLD team but not in 2013, they'll be in the next round of expansion.

CC and WA is the way to go.

Still in shock that it seems Gallop is going to make the right strategic decision. "Gallop" and "right strategic decision" rarely go together in a sentence. I'm still half expecting to wake up one day and hear the news say "NRL announces 2 new expansion teams in Siberia and Coogee".

So you agree the next expansion should include QLD. CC would not be a good strategic decision.

hutch

First Grade
There's a few. The Swans had virtually none to begin with but in the last 10-15 years it's slowly grown. Our star player Keiran Jack (Garry Jack's (former Balmain player) son) is probably the most prominent. I don't know how the exact numbers break down but it's growing. There's a NSW AFL academy now. And the Swans captain who just retired, Brett Kirk, was also a New South Welshman.
It is also a much easier sport to make it to the top in if you're half a good athlete, with a lot more players on the field also!

So you agree the next expansion should include QLD. CC would not be a good strategic decision.

From Gallops own mouth. He acknowledged the Bears and Reds bids more so then anyone elses. He is in constant contact with Wareds and Ccbears officials regulary. He is impressed with the bid models and the membership numbers. He knows the importance of the areas.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ispwich have a massive amount of work to do in just a few months to better the Reds or Bears bids.

I agree. Reds, Bears Have names, Members, Sponsors, Quality Staduims both have had the extra time from the failed bid last time. Imagine the 2 Qld teams improvement in 5 years.

BTW how are memberships going??

Perth Red

Post Whore
not sure, I'm trying to find out from the club. There were plenty of people walking away from the WARL GF with membership forms so hopefully they are climbing.

I agree. Reds, Bears Have names, Members, Sponsors, Quality Staduims both have had the extra time from the failed bid last time. Imagine the 2 Qld teams improvement in 5 years.

BTW how are memberships going??

3000 Members for the Central Coast Bears. We also have junior memberships for kids u-18 which for $10 gets you a Central Coast Bears cap, wristbands and stickers. It's been a hit with the kids on the CC. There's a few months of extra hard work coming up to boost our memberships to 5000 by March, 2011.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Wouldn't be many. What I've seen over the years is either players from the lower Riverina or expat Victorians being palmed off as locals.
Anyone who spent 3 days of their christmas holidays as a kid in Sydney or doesn't wear moccasins and trackpants to a job interview is regarded by the AFL as a nsw junior.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You've been outed mate.

Brutus

Referee

Oh dear.

bobmar28

Bench
From Gallops own mouth. He acknowledged the Bears and Reds bids more so then anyone elses. He is in constant contact with Wareds and Ccbears officials regulary. He is impressed with the bid models and the membership numbers. He knows the importance of the areas.

QLD is the most important area. It is the heartland of rugby league.

Typical AFL fan. Never let the truth get in the way of a good bullsh*t.

This was the question;

How many Sydney-born players are there in the AFL?

How long has Albury been in Sydney?

The Swans have been in Sydney going on 30 years and the number of Sydney-bred players in their team and the AFL is negligible.

According to the AFL itself, there are 26 players in the AFL from NSW and the ACT.

Of those, 10 come from either Victoria or the lower Riverina, 3 from the ACT, 1 each from the South coast, Newy and Tweed Heads and 3 from Broken Hill. That leaves 7 apparently to be from Sydney and not necessarily boen in Sydney, they played their junior AFL in Sydney.

7 from 640 is impressive isn't it?

Oh, and according to the AFL, Wangarratta is in NSW. There are 4 players who are in their list of NSW players who were picked up from the Murray Bushrangers, who play in Wangaratta.

gregstar

Referee
tumbleweed.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
You've been outed mate.

Outed? Hardly. Proud Swans fan. Souths are #1 members of my heart, Swans are a close second. I like both sports and get amused by fans of either sport who spend their time thinking about and putting down the other sport.

That's not a personal thing against NRL only fans either. I spend time on AFL forums and the NRL haters on them are no better or worse than AFL haters here.

Outed? Hardly. Proud Swans fan. Souths are #1 members of my heart, Swans are a close second. I like both sports and get amused by fans of either sport who spend their time thinking about and putting down the other sport.

That's not a personal thing against NRL only fans either. I spend time on AFL forums and the NRL haters on them are no better or worse than AFL haters here.

Proud Swans fan.... LOL

It's obvious your knowledge of AFL is, shall we say, short of the mark.

Next time, think about doing what all AFL fans should do and shhhhhh.