What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

franklin2323

Immortal
QLD is the most important area. It is the heartland of rugby league.

I would like both in by 2020. QLD has the fans. They need to ensure businesses come on board. Pretty much Broncos have had a morgage on SEQ business support since day dot. Give them a few year to get that in order and them come on in

franklin2323

Immortal
3000 Members for the Central Coast Bears. We also have junior memberships for kids u-18 which for $10 gets you a Central Coast Bears cap, wristbands and stickers. It's been a hit with the kids on the CC. There's a few months of extra hard work coming up to boost our memberships to 5000 by March, 2011.

Good to hear. Getting kids is the right move imo current club ties aren't as strong and no memories of the Northern Eagles debarcle. Add that with the old Bears fans and it's a good supporter base.

Perth Red- At least the right people are targeted. Prob get a few to join the Force and Reds so a good start

applesauce

Bench
I would like both in by 2020. QLD has the fans. They need to ensure businesses come on board. Pretty much Broncos have had a morgage on SEQ business support since day dot. Give them a few year to get that in order and them come on in

What a stupid comment.

NRMA is a NSW company! Half of our sponsors aren't from the SE corner.

The Roar, the Lions, the Bulls and QLD cup teams can all get sponsorships. If a national company wants national exposure then they sponsor a NRL team....

bobmar28

Bench
And considering this comp started out as the NSWRL, nsw isn't? Get your hand off it. Your opinions compared to gallops mean zilch.

Simply repeating what many have said on these forums over the last couple of years, 'QLD is rugby league heartland'
considering that fact, 3 teams in QLD is not enough and 9 in Sydney is too many.

Simply repeating what many have said on these forums over the last couple of years, 'QLD is rugby league heartland'
considering that fact, 3 teams in QLD is not enough and 9 in Sydney is too many.

And I'm simply repeating what thousands of people want and that is the central coast bears.

juanfarkall

Coach
Have not seen any of the 50 people who pay to attend Ipswich Jets home games campaigning for an NRL team yet.

Personally am undecided on whether or not the Gosford mob should be next in, but would have all of the following ahead of Ipswich (in no particular order)

Perth
Central Qld
Gosford
Wellington
PNG
Adelaide.

BTW Logan is even further down the pecking order than Ipswich.

AJ_82

Juniors
Have not seen any of the 50 people who pay to attend Ipswich Jets home games campaigning for an NRL team yet.

Personally am undecided on whether or not the Gosford mob should be next in, but would have all of the following ahead of Ipswich (in no particular order)

Perth
Central Qld
Gosford
Wellington
PNG
Adelaide.

BTW Logan is even further down the pecking order than Ipswich.

Totally agree - by having another team in Brisbane or close to is only going to cut into Brisbane's current support/membership.

I think Perth should be the priority along with Adelaide in regards to making us a NATIONAL competition, although I would concede the Central Coast Bears should probably be the next team along with Perth to come into the competition.

Finally, I don't think a Sydney team needs to fold for the Bears to come back because when you look at the basin of where Sydney teams are ... they are all south of the harbour other than Manly, so they wont be drawing from any already existing fans!

BunniesMan

Immortal
And it should happen . . . . When a sydney club folds or merges.

A Sydney club folding or merging has nothing to with the CC. Firstly, the Central Coast is not Sydney. Secondly, they already have the community support, membership numbers, sponsors and everything else they need to be the strongest bid out their at the moment.

Recently the NRL wisely said that when it comes to expansion, they weren't doing a strategy of covering the map with clubs. Or in other words they won't just put teams in random places where people think there should be a team. It's about having strong bids in the right places.

The Bears have a strong bid and there is room for a team on the Central Coast. That's all they need. Unless something out of the blue happens to derail them, the Bears will be the next team in the league, in 2013.

ashton

Juniors
A Sydney club folding or merging has nothing to with the CC. Firstly, the Central Coast is not Sydney. Secondly, they already have the community support, membership numbers, sponsors and everything else they need to be the strongest bid out their at the moment.

Recently the NRL wisely said that when it comes to expansion, they weren't doing a strategy of covering the map with clubs. Or in other words they won't just put teams in random places where people think there should be a team. It's about having strong bids in the right places.

The Bears have a strong bid and there is room for a team on the Central Coast. That's all they need. Unless something out of the blue happens to derail them, the Bears will be the next team in the league, in 2013.

They are North Sydney.

BunniesMan

Immortal
They are North Sydney.

You do realise the main point of the Bears bid is the re-location factor? They'll play 2 games in North Sydney, but the rest of the games will be in Gosford, they'll be based in Gosford, they'll be a Gosford team, not a Sydney team.

You do realise the main point of the Bears bid is the re-location factor? They'll play 2 games in North Sydney, but the rest of the games will be in Gosford, they'll be based in Gosford, they'll be a Gosford team, not a Sydney team.

Correct. The Central Coast Bears are a central coast team and part of the central coast community. The majority of members are central coast residents, we will train on the central coast, play almost every game on the central coast @ Bluetongue (Gosford) and will be run + operating from the central coast (Erina). Sure there will be one game for heritage round @ North Sydney Oval but that's more to acknowledging the Bears history and links with Norths Leagues. It will be a great experience as an annual event.

docbrown

Coach
Correct. The Central Coast Bears are a central coast team and part of the central coast community. The majority of members are central coast residents, we will train on the central coast, play almost every game on the central coast @ Bluetongue (Gosford) and will be run + operating from the central coast (Erina). Sure there will be one game for heritage round @ North Sydney Oval but that's more to acknowledging the Bears history and links with Norths Leagues. It will be a great experience as an annual event.

Yeah but they can also play 4-6 games close enough to the North Sydney basin to ensure a large away support too. So unlike a side, say like the Cowboys, that would bring very few to Sydney matches, the Bears can bring a few thousand - plus travelling Central Coast supporters. It's the best of both worlds, a bit like St George-Illawarra.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeah but they can also play 4-6 games close enough to the North Sydney basin to ensure a large away support too. So unlike a side, say like the Cowboys, that would bring very few to Sydney matches, the Bears can bring a few thousand - plus travelling Central Coast supporters. It's the best of both worlds, a bit like St George-Illawarra.

The Dragons comparison is accurate. As I like to say, the Bears are doing what the Dragons did...except without swallowing a club and calling it a "joint venture".

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The Dragons comparison is accurate. As I like to say, the Bears are doing what the Dragons did...except without swallowing a club and calling it a "joint venture".
As opposed to souths swallowing russell.
Believe it or not I agree with you, as long as the bears don't slowly creep back to North Sydney.
For Ipswich to have any credibility as a bid they have to get rid of any j ribot stink no matter how big or small it is.

bobmar28

Bench
Totally agree - by having another team in Brisbane or close to is only going to cut into Brisbane's current support/membership.

I think Perth should be the priority along with Adelaide in regards to making us a NATIONAL competition, although I would concede the Central Coast Bears should probably be the next team along with Perth to come into the competition.

Finally, I don't think a Sydney team needs to fold for the Bears to come back because when you look at the basin of where Sydney teams are ... they are all south of the harbour other than Manly, so they wont be drawing from any already existing fans!

You say that having another team close to Brisbane is going to cut into the Bronco's support/membership, yet you seem to be in favour of adding a 10th team to the Sydney region. How does that make us a national competition?

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
As opposed to souths swallowing russell.
Believe it or not I agree with you, as long as the bears don't slowly creep back to North Sydney.
For Ipswich to have any credibility as a bid they have to get rid of any j ribot stink no matter how big or small it is.

I'm quite sure Ribot has nothing to do with the Jets NRL bid. Besides, the Super League war was 13 years ago, isn't it time you got past that, it's history.

meltiger

First Grade
There are many who will never forget what he took part in and the damage it cause to the game.

Yes, any new bid needs to be without the Ribot stench

franklin2323

Immortal
What a stupid comment.

NRMA is a NSW company! Half of our sponsors aren't from the SE corner.

The Roar, the Lions, the Bulls and QLD cup teams can all get sponsorships. If a national company wants national exposure then they sponsor a NRL team....

Well you are a fan. So tell me is there any companies not affiated with the Broncos?? I want more QLD teams just fear they will struggle for the corporate support