What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Foxsports News did a video on the Ipswich NRL bid. Talked to the Mayor and current Ipswich Jets coach Ben Walker.

They seem set on the name Western Jets.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/League/...937324749?subcat=1225914677120&site=FoxSports

Nice. The mayor was also pushing the name Western Jets in a news interview a while ago. I haven't heard anyone else pushing it though.

Not keen on 'Western' tbh, especially when we already have Wests and will soon have Western Australia.

juanfarkall

Coach
Perhaps when the Jets mob show that they can actually afford to run a Qld Cup team without nearly going bust they might have some sort of grounds for dreaming of an NRL spot.

Can't see it happening anytime soon though.

Spitty

Juniors
The Jets seem confident and previous media indicates that Gallop is keen. But to be fair by the time expansion is on the table, it will be the IC's decision (we hope).

Honestly can't see Perth missing out. No juniors and small crowds are easily substituted with bigger TV $$$$$$'s. Perth would bring in far more of that than either of the other bids.

So it comes down to CC and Ipswich. CC are more prepared and in some ways deserve the chance due to their years of hard work. But that's probably not what the decision should be based on. The decision needs to be strategic, not sentimental.

What Ipswich has that CC doesn't is the potential to attract more Qld eyes to more TV games. I read earlier this year, that NRL games involving Qld teams rate highly right across Qld, but other games rate quite poorly. So in other words people in Brisbane would rather watch Cowboys v Raiders, than Dragons v Roosters. That's why channel 9 persist with the 2nd Friday game, because no matter what Queensland team they put on, it rates higher in Queensland than any of the Non-Queensland games.

So Ipswich add another Queensland game on TV. So while CC might have them pipped for fan interest and population. Ipswich may have them for general TV viewership.

I don't know who'll get the extra spot, but at the moment TV $$$$ is what talks loudest.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Western Jets. Won't it be fun when they play the other Wests, or the third Wests... What's wrong with "Ipswich" or wherever your heartland will be. Or why not just call everyone "Sydney X" or "Brisbane X". I think it's pathetic when these clubs get less and less specific names in a vain attempt to get a few extra fans.

Manchester United and the New York Yankees didn't need to try to eliminate what they stand for to become global brands. Canterbury and Cronulla tried it and went back. Western Jets = stupid idea.

/rant. non specific club names are one of my biggest pet hates

bobmar28

Bench
Western Jets. Won't it be fun when they play the other Wests, or the third Wests... What's wrong with "Ipswich" or wherever your heartland will be. Or why not just call everyone "Sydney X" or "Brisbane X". I think it's pathetic when these clubs get less and less specific names in a vain attempt to get a few extra fans.

Manchester United and the New York Yankees didn't need to try to eliminate what they stand for to become global brands. Canterbury and Cronulla tried it and went back. Western Jets = stupid idea.

Still known as the Bulldogs in western Sydney.

Re 'Western Jets', I still think the name should be Ipswich Jets. But if they prefer Western Jets I can't see a problem with that.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
agree with Brutus.

I would hate to make the decision between CC and a new Brisbane Franchise.......... I can see pros and cons for both bids.

juro

Bench

Is "souths" okay but "wests" not okay?

Perth Red

Post Whore
only reason is as said we have a wests and hopefully will have Reds from the west. Doesn;t really matter though as fans will know where the teams are from and the public will differentiate from the nicknames I guess. Could you imagine if Cronulla moved to SA and became Souths Sharks, I'm sure people wouldn;t like it.

smithie

Juniors
I still believe a new Brisbane franchise should be called either "South QLD" or "Brisbane".

Just look what happened last weekend in the A-League. Melbourne Victory vs. Melbourne Heart got close to a sellout at AAMI Park. A true intra-city rivalry would be amazing in Brisbane.

N.B. Since when has Logan been west of Brisbane. I don't see how Western Jets would get support from Logan.

Brutus

Referee
I still believe a new Brisbane franchise should be called either "South QLD" or "Brisbane".

Fully agree. Why disenfranchise anyone?

Ipswich can be their base/heartland, but get out there and attract as many supporters as possible from all over the city and outskirts.

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors
Western is such a terrible name there are too many western's and wests, they should either be Ipswich,Brisbane or South Queensland as the poster above states.

It would be good to see another Queensland side in the competition, it could provide 6 south Queensland derbies, Would Ipswich play out of Lang Park ? I think they should you could easily have 2 teams playing out of that stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Brisbane Jets
Brisbane City Jets

not sure the matyor meant to say this: "1/2 the city support the Broncos, 1/2 the city support the Titans, there is enough support for us"

Last edited:

rabbitohs

Juniors

Yankess and United are bad examples. Both these clubs names refer to a 'region' as well as a City.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton would be better examples...that is all :)

BunniesMan

Immortal
Is "souths" okay but "wests" not okay?

If 1 or 2 other teams in the very same league we're in had "souths" before us it would be a problem. We already have the Tigers, and I'd say the Reds will be a team before this bid. So there might be 2 Wests in the league, and that people involved with this bid are pushing to be the 3rd "Wests" is ridiculous. Especially when it's so obvious it's just a cheap ploy to broaden your base. If they run the team properly they will get plenty of fans as "Ipswich".

Most of what they said about population growth, junior base, ready-made facilities and community support can also be said about the Central Coast Bears, W.A. Reds & Wellington.

Ipswich 170k + Logan 280k & regions of Toowoomba 160k = about 610k.
(have facilities in Brisbane, training in Ipswich. no bid sponsors yet. no identity though "Western Jets" seems to be the go for now)

Central Coast 310k + North Shore 815k = about 1.25m.
(have facilities in CC and NS. have major and minor bid sponsors. have identity in "Central Coast Bears")

Central Queensland = about 230k.
[however the travel distances between towns in the region can be anywhere from 50kms to 800kms] (have training facilities but no stadium. have major and minor bid sponsors. no identity yet)

Perth 1.66m + rest of Western Australia 640k = about 2.3m.
(have facilities. have major and minor bid sponsors. have identity in "Western Australia Reds" or "W.A.Reds" for short.

Wellington 390k + south island New Zealand 1.1m = about 1.5m.
(have facilities. no bid sponsors yet. no identity though "Southern Lions" & "Southern Orcas" have been thrown around)

Adelaide = about 1.28m
(have facilities. no bid sponsors. no identity though will always have an association with "Adelaide Rams")

Last edited: