What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

applesauce

Bench
West Brisbane Jets
Brisbane City Jets

not sure the matyor meant to say this: "1/2 the city support the Broncos, 1/2 the city support the Titans, there is enough support for us"

Ipswich residents have 2 heads...

That means that only half of each resident supports an NRL team, leaving the other half to support the Jets.

BunniesMan

Immortal
f**k the Bears. Until a NSW team folds we don't need them. "good will" f**k off.

Where are you from? If you're from NSW you're an idiot. There is room for a team on the Central coast. The Bears should be relocated there because they were treated unfairly a decade ago. They were about to relocate like the NRL wanted them to, and then they got screwed. They should be playing their 10th year up there by now. The CC bears will be one of the next 2 teams, and it will be to fix things that never should have happened.

They have the population, they have the sponsors, they have the team ready to go there. The NRL just has to say the word, and they will in about 6 months.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Where are you from? If you're from NSW you're an idiot. There is room for a team on the Central coast. The Bears should be relocated there because they were treated unfairly a decade long. They were about to relocate like the NRL wanted them to, and then they got screwed. They should be playing their 10th year up there by now. The CC bears will be one of the next 2 teams, and it will be to fix things that never should have happened.

They have the population, they have the sponsors, they have the team ready to go there. The NRL just has to say the word, and they will in about 6 months.
This bunniesman bloke knows everything folks, no use arguing with him.

DINGb@T

Juniors
For everyone arguing against the name 'Western Jets' you obviously dont live in Brisbane. If you lived in Brisbane or South East Queensland you'd know that this team will define itself by 'not being Brisbane/the Broncos.' Ipswich is nowhere near the Western suburbs of Brisbane and all League teams in the South East will inevitably define themselves relative to one spot, and that's the holy ground of Lang Park, not Sydney or somewhere else Queenslanders don't care about. The fans of the new team won't go for 'South East' anything- that's like creating a team out west of Penrith and calling it the 'Sydney Panthers.' This team will be like the Gold Coast Titans- it'll have a name that represents a region- but one that is clearly defined by its Queensland-centrism which makes it West of everyone or everywhere that matters.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I've honestly only seen the Mayor calling them the Western Jets.

Also remember that the bid is from the Ipswich Jets football club, not a private investor with no ties to the history of the team/name.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you'd have to be concerned with the ability of the Jets to run an NRL sized operation given they struggled to run a Q'land cup team. WHo have they brought in for the bid team?

Smiley

Bench
you'd have to be concerned with the ability of the Jets to run an NRL sized operation given they struggled to run a Q'land cup team. WHo have they brought in for the bid team?

Nobody because they already have John Ribot.

Well he owns their leagues club.

bobmar28

Bench
Where are you from? If you're from NSW you're an idiot. There is room for a team on the Central coast. The Bears should be relocated there because they were treated unfairly a decade ago. They were about to relocate like the NRL wanted them to, and then they got screwed. They should be playing their 10th year up there by now. The CC bears will be one of the next 2 teams, and it will be to fix things that never should have happened.

The only problem is NSW already has 10 teams. QLD has only 3 and needs more.

BunniesMan

Immortal

It's not about which state has how many, and which state is owed one. It's about where can we put NRL clubs that will have a sustainable long term future. That, and where do we have bids that are ready for the bigtime. CC ticks both those boxes. There will be another QLD team but not in 2013, they'll be in the next round of expansion.

http://www.nrl.com/video/tabid/10959/default.aspx#playvideo

Too bad David Gallop acknowledges the CCBEARS and by this interview with Sterlo, I think it's the best indication of where expansion is headed.. (as he refers back to the WAREDS & CCBEARS even when Sterlo asks about a 2nd Brisbane team).

In short, suck turds.

CC and WA is the way to go.

Still in shock that it seems Gallop is going to make the right strategic decision. "Gallop" and "right strategic decision" rarely go together in a sentence. I'm still half expecting to wake up one day and hear the news say "NRL announces 2 new expansion teams in Siberia and Coogee".

Spitty

Juniors
Problem is after November 1 the decision on where to expand with be with the Independant Commission. So David Gallop will have little to no say in the matter.

franklin2323

Immortal

While I agree the fan support would be there. The problem is the Broncos have had the majority of corporate support since 1988. Talks will begin next year not enough time to gauge how the Titans are financally to see if that model worked.

I would say WA and Bears next time and after that. Rockhampton and Ipswich at the same time. Neither have their QLD cup teams making money yet or sponsor's or anything Perth/Bears have major sponsors members etc

BunniesMan

Immortal
While I agree the fan support would be there. The problem is the Broncos have had the majority of corporate support since 1988. Talks will begin next year not enough time to gauge how the Titans are financally to see if that model worked.

I would say WA and Bears next time and after that. Rockhampton and Ipswich at the same time. Neither have their QLD cup teams making money yet or sponsor's or anything Perth/Bears have major sponsors members etc

That would be perfect. Plus Cronulla in Adelaide eventually (hopefully) and you have a true national 20 team comp. We could then consolidate and work on making sure all 20 teams are rock solid. And we've undone the damage the culling did in the late 90s.

franklin2323

Immortal
That would be perfect. Plus Cronulla in Adelaide eventually (hopefully) and you have a true national 20 team comp. We could then consolidate and work on making sure all 20 teams are rock solid. And we've undone the damage the culling did in the late 90s.

Exactly say 5 more years. For the 2018 season it gives teams 6 more years to round up corporate sponsorship, members work out a name etc. Perth, Bears have this right now.

I am not being anti QLD. I want all teams to succeed not get the nod and fall over a few years later

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im not a fan of the Sharks in Adelaide. I just cant see it working. I think the Sharks might work in Queensland or Wellington, but for some reason I think Adelaide needs a good 10 years of ground work first.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Im not a fan of the Sharks in Adelaide. I just cant see it working. I think the Sharks might work in Queensland or Wellington, but for some reason I think Adelaide needs a good 10 years of ground work first.
I agree. I think someone had this idea that because there were sharks in the great australian bight/southern ocean they should relocate there. Until the day Melbourne, and if they come in Perth, can produce enough first grade players then going to Adelaide is to much of a strain on our development systems.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I agree. I think someone had this idea that because there were sharks in the great australian bight/southern ocean they should relocate there. Until the day Melbourne, and if they come in Perth, can produce enough first grade players then going to Adelaide is to much of a strain on our development systems.

I didn't say anytime soon. I said after the 2013 expansion, and the 2018ish expansion. So closer to 2020 than 2010.