What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Brisbane corporations are pretty anal with their sponsorship dollars while regional queensland corporations always happily throw sponsorship dollars around. Between Ipswich, Toowoomba, Beaudesert and Logan you will find good and successful businesses ready to throw their weight behind a QLD sports team. Western Jets won't have as many problems as people think. The main problem is stadium sponsorship and the fact Suncorp already have this, though they are Broncos/Roar/Reds sponsors and might or might not choose to affiliate themselves with another NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In Perth the Dockers came in and had zero effect on the Eagles support, fans or corporates. Any new Brisbane team has to market itself to a different demographic and attract those RL fans that don't follow the broncos at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The challenge is to find a name and team philosophy that will attract them all. Eagles were seen as silvertails, rich end of town (north and West suburbs), media darlings etc, Dockers marketed to the more working class families, focused on the Fremantle/Southern suburbs and took on the mantle of the "battlers". For a 2nd Brisbane to work they will need to find their niche market and work hard to set themselves up for that market.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. I Question if that can be done in 9 months or so. What people need to realise is CC and Perth were 2nd and 3rd behind GC to come in last time and as such are 4-5 years down the track.

But they're stuck in that Wests corridor between the Dogs and the Eels, and those three teams are competing for support.

I have absolutely nothing against the Tigers, but I'm just trying to follow common sense, while not being unrealistic.

Ideally, Sharks should move while Easts and Souths should merge, as well as dogs and tigers (again), but that is not realistic. The rivalry won't let it happen and we would risk seeing a new North Sydney / Manly debacle happening.

St George Illawarra should re locate to Wollongong permanently. There would be one less worry in Sydney. They do nothing for St George juniors now anyway.

Wests are fine although personally I'd like to see them playing out of Campbelltown, but understand 100% why they don't.

Cronulla get there act together or they will automatically fold within a decade at the longest.

Central Coast Bears and Perth seem more advanced then the other australian bids and PNG won't get a run in the NRL.

Personally I would not mind seeing a 20 team two conference style competition. North and South perhaps or possibly even East and West.

ratsack2

Juniors
I am one of those people that are big league fans that live in Brisbane and hate the broncos.
I am a sharks supporter (yeah go on give it to me) that used to be a season seat holder for years, I moved to brissy 7 years ago so now only get to 2 games a year, I would happily support an Ipswich team and would get along to more games, but sharks would be my first love.

A 2nd team in Brisbane is very much needed

Highway1

Juniors
Ipswich Jets is not a name of their own? They have had it for 30 years and refers to the nearby RAAF base. I am sure Newtown have never been an NRL franchise. Who would want the name blue bags for a football team anyway? It sounds too gay.

I mean that Ipswich or any franchise should be admitted to the nrl without using a nickname that already been used unless they are a reincarnations which Ipswich is not

I still believe a new Brisbane franchise should be called either "South QLD" or "Brisbane".

Just look what happened last weekend in the A-League. Melbourne Victory vs. Melbourne Heart got close to a sellout at AAMI Park. A true intra-city rivalry would be amazing in Brisbane.

N.B. Since when has Logan been west of Brisbane. I don't see how Western Jets would get support from Logan.

Sounds good but what would the derby be based on? territorial basis like Sydney or a club basis like Melbourne?

Fully agree. Why disenfranchise anyone?

Ipswich can be their base/heartland, but get out there and attract as many supporters as possible from all over the city and outskirts.

The name Ipswich is just as inclusive as the Brisbane and Gold Coast names you know. The Ipswich team would probably gain fans who don't associate themselves with either Brisbane or Gold coast or probably want to support a team closer to the area like potential fans from Toowoomba and western region

Joker's Wild

Coach
The main problem is stadium sponsorship and the fact Suncorp already have this, though they are Broncos/Roar/Reds sponsors and might or might not choose to affiliate themselves with another NRL team.

Suncorp are not a Broncos sponsor at all, in fact one of their biggest competitors, NRMA, is. They own the stadium naming rights and that is all. The only official sponsorship deal they have with an individual sporting team is the Wallabies,

Highway1

Juniors
For everyone arguing against the name 'Western Jets' you obviously dont live in Brisbane. If you lived in Brisbane or South East Queensland you'd know that this team will define itself by 'not being Brisbane/the Broncos.' Ipswich is nowhere near the Western suburbs of Brisbane and all League teams in the South East will inevitably define themselves relative to one spot, and that's the holy ground of Lang Park, not Sydney or somewhere else Queenslanders don't care about. The fans of the new team won't go for 'South East' anything- that's like creating a team out west of Penrith and calling it the 'Sydney Panthers.' This team will be like the Gold Coast Titans- it'll have a name that represents a region- but one that is clearly defined by its Queensland-centrism which makes it West of everyone or everywhere that matters.

I live in Brisbane and I think the "Western Jets" is rubbish, because Ipswich is not part of the western region of Queensland nor is it a part of Brisbanes western suburbs. Why can't the Ipswich franchise have Ipswich in its name?
Surely it's just as inclusive as Brisbane or Gold Coast?

QLD is the most important area. It is the heartland of rugby league.

Hi five!

Simply repeating what many have said on these forums over the last couple of years, 'QLD is rugby league heartland'
considering that fact, 3 teams in QLD is not enough and 9 in Sydney is too many.

Hi Ten!

Brisbane corporations are pretty anal with their sponsorship dollars while regional queensland corporations always happily throw sponsorship dollars around. Between Ipswich, Toowoomba, Beaudesert and Logan you will find good and successful businesses ready to throw their weight behind a QLD sports team. Western Jets won't have as many problems as people think. The main problem is stadium sponsorship and the fact Suncorp already have this, though they are Broncos/Roar/Reds sponsors and might or might not choose to affiliate themselves with another NRL team.

The Ipswich won't have problems getting sponsorship i don't think cos there's a decent amount of Ipswich based businesses like RT edwards or even Toowoomba based businesses like Weis ice cream and Heritage building society bank. :cool:

Highway1

Juniors
Suncorp are not a Broncos sponsor at all, in fact one of their biggest competitors, NRMA, is. They own the stadium naming rights and that is all. The only official sponsorship deal they have with an individual sporting team is the Wallabies,

funny thing is, the St George bank is now sponsor of the Qld Reds :?

Solid

Juniors
I work for a bank in Ipswich and there is NO money.

Absolutely none.

No jobs. No savings. No ambition.

Just Newstart, pensions and other benefits.

Its a very nice town and the people are lovely. The locals would really get behind a team. However its just quite painful how little money many live off.

mightybears

Bench
I live in Brisbane and I think the "Western Jets" is rubbish, because Ipswich is not part of the western region of Queensland nor is it a part of Brisbanes western suburbs. Why can't the Ipswich franchise have Ipswich in its name?
Surely it's just as inclusive as Brisbane or Gold Coast? ..............................The Ipswich won't have problems getting sponsorship i don't think cos there's a decent amount of Ipswich based businesses like RT edwards or even Toowoomba based businesses like Weis ice cream and Heritage building society bank. :cool:

I don't think it is as inclusive as Brisbane but i wouldn't use Brisbane anyway, it should be South Queensland Jets as that neutralises the entire issue. I know Ipswich is growing relatively rapidly as a LCA, and a new NRL team based there will obviously attrach non Ipswich sponsors but the team just won't work as well as 'Ipswich' as opposed to a more inclusive name.

RT Edwards is getting hammered as it hasn't got the economies of scales to compete, Weis? please. Heritage BS yes but its T'ba based and they picked 'Heritage' as a name when the merge happened 30 years back to be inclusive and not T'ba specific.

Why did the Cows go North Queensland instead of Townsville?, same reason.

Western is just plain stupid, it means nothing in a SE Qld context re Ipswich.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
As opposed to souths swallowing russell.
Believe it or not I agree with you, as long as the bears don't slowly creep back to North Sydney.
For Ipswich to have any credibility as a bid they have to get rid of any j ribot stink no matter how big or small it is.

Its never going to happen, the 1997 decision of the NSDRLFC to move ops to the CC was the 'never going back' moment in club history. A decision made during a very sucessful period that was argued long and hard by realists and fundies.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I think the discussion is kinda moot. If the club is being spearheaded by the Ipswich Jets FC I think it'll be a safe bet that they will keep their name unchanged.

Why did the Cows go North Queensland instead of Townsville?, same reason.
Very different situation imo. The Townsville-Cairns rivalry, the NQ separatism movement, the NQ rep teams of the past, etc.

mightybears

Bench
I think the discussion is kinda moot. If the club is being spearheaded by the Ipswich Jets FC I think it'll be a safe bet that they will keep their name unchanged.

Very different situation imo. The Townsville-Cairns rivalry, the NQ separatism movement, the NQ rep teams of the past, etc.

True, certainly more marked the Northern rivalry but T'ba people, Brisbane people, Warwick people are more likely to get behind a 'South Qld' as opposed to 'Ipswich' named team.

BDGS

Bench
I work for a bank in Ipswich and there is NO money.

Absolutely none.

No jobs. No savings. No ambition.

Just Newstart, pensions and other benefits.

Its a very nice town and the people are lovely. The locals would really get behind a team. However its just quite painful how little money many live off.

Can they afford to go to 12 home games a year or buy a membership?

I know this is a hard topic but the truth of the matter is the NRL is a business and they'll look at this being a potential worrying sign.

The Western Jets as they are now named don't have any chance of making the 2013 expansion IMO.

Its out of 3 teams for two positions and in this order for mine:
WA Reds
CC Bears
CQ

Latest posts