What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
And it should happen . . . . When a sydney club folds or merges.

Lmfao, funniest thing i have heard in a while.

Why does the "city of the central coast" (as people refer to it as) have to suffer because of what SYDNEY (another city) does or have?

Also the CC bears are the strongest bid team out there currently, the only reason they are second most likely to get a team in the NRL is because of the fact that Mr. Gallop and the NRL want to make the competition truly national again.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Lived here nearly 25 years, never once heard it called "City of the Central Coast".

As for the current batch of bids - in terms of likelihood and preparedness, the Bears are in front by a long stretch, with the Reds next, then CQ, then Ipswich.

Highway1

Juniors
And the Dragons.

Its a funny thign because the Reds play at Suncorp.
Gee you gotta feel sorry for suncorp, having their stadium promote their competitors because of their tenants.

I don't think it is as inclusive as Brisbane but i wouldn't use Brisbane anyway, it should be South Queensland Jets as that neutralises the entire issue. I know Ipswich is growing relatively rapidly as a LCA, and a new NRL team based there will obviously attrach non Ipswich sponsors but the team just won't work as well as 'Ipswich' as opposed to a more inclusive name.

RT Edwards is getting hammered as it hasn't got the economies of scales to compete, Weis? please. Heritage BS yes but its T'ba based and they picked 'Heritage' as a name when the merge happened 30 years back to be inclusive and not T'ba specific.

Why did the Cows go North Queensland instead of Townsville?, same reason.

Western is just plain stupid, it means nothing in a SE Qld context re Ipswich.

I dont think the use of the "south Queensland name" is as effective as using the Ipswich name becuase by the the the "south Queensland" team comes along, they will not be only south queensland team. That's like having the next NSW franchise being called "NSW whatevers", great name but no use because they're are pre-existing teams.

Ipswich are not only known for its fast growth, but its probably known for being the only city and council area in metropolitan Brisbane to have a separate identity to Brisbane. Redcliffe has a separate identity too, but its too small unfortunately. The Ipswich franchise should take advantage of that fact about separate identity and use the Ipswich name.

Don't be so negative on Ipswich and Toowoomba business.

North Queensland and South East Queenland have different situations, you can't use the same principle.

True, certainly more marked the Northern rivalry but T'ba people, Brisbane people, Warwick people are more likely to get behind a 'South Qld' as opposed to 'Ipswich' named team.

I'm sure Warwick people would get behind an Ipswich people as Wawrick has a significant history with Ipswich, for example, one of the main roads in Ipswich is called Wawrick Rd and they both share the same highway (Cunningham Highway). Also the Wawrick people will get behind the Ipswich team just like people from Bundaberg and Rockhamptonn areas get behind the Brisbane Broncos.

Lived here nearly 25 years, never once heard it called "City of the Central Coast".

As for the current batch of bids - in terms of likelihood and preparedness, the Bears are in front by a long stretch, with the Reds next, then CQ, then Ipswich.

What kind of a region is central coast? A combination of small towns like the Sunshine coast in QLD or a bug urban area like Sydney or Gold Coast?

Those kind of factors do play a big part.

mongoose

Coach
Why don't they call them GWB Jets. Greater Western Brisbane. That would incorporate Springfield and Forest Lakes which are rapidly growing communities. Play out of Suncorp stadium which is in the inner west Brisbane.

bobmar28

Bench
Lmfao, funniest thing i have heard in a while.

Why does the "city of the central coast" (as people refer to it as) have to suffer because of what SYDNEY (another city) does or have?

Also the CC bears are the strongest bid team out there currently, the only reason they are second most likely to get a team in the NRL is because of the fact that Mr. Gallop and the NRL want to make the competition truly national again.

How does adding a 10th team to the Sydney region make the competition national?

bobmar28

Bench

I couldn't find any Central Coast City Council but I did find Gosford City Council. Maybe your team should be known as the Gosford Bears.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I couldn't find any Central Coast City Council but I did find Gosford City Council. Maybe your team should be known as the Gosford Bears.
Haven't seen any city called "Western" or "Central Queensland" either, your point being?

docbrown

Coach
Found an NFL jersey designer and was seeing what NRL expansion team jersey colour combos might look like.

jets2-1.jpg

jets.jpg

docbrown

Coach
We need another Brisbane team to further break up the QLD Clubs recruiting dominance.

Hello Jets.

f**k off Bears!

All the teams with official bids at the moment should be included at some stage. They all have their own strengths that they bring to the game.

lturner

Juniors
We need another Brisbane team to further break up the QLD Clubs recruiting dominance.

Hello Jets.

f**k off Bears!

Ipswich is definitely a better option than the Bears from the perspective of population, potential supporters and tv audience.

There's 3.2m people in South East Queensland with only 2 clubs. 1.6m people per club.

If you take a similar area around Sydney, which includes the Illawarra and Hunter, the population is about 5.6m with 10 teams there already. 560,000 per club.

Surely we don't need another club within an hour or two's drive of 10 clubs, some of which are struggling badly.

Smiley

Bench
Ipswich is definitely a better option than the Bears from the perspective of population, potential supporters and tv audience.

There's 3.2m people in South East Queensland with only 2 clubs. 1.6m people per club.

If you take a similar area around Sydney, which includes the Illawarra and Hunter, the population is about 5.6m with 10 teams there already. 560,000 per club.

Surely we don't need another club within an hour or two's drive of 10 clubs, some of which are struggling badly.

Ipswich is just too small. There may be 3.2 million people in south east Queensland but only around 170,000 in Ipswich.

There is enough people in the Brisbane area that don't support the Broncos and I've always thought of the Broncos as a north of the river team. It about time the Southerners had a team.

*Still playing out of Suncorp though.

docbrown

Coach
Ipswich is just too small. There may be 3.2 million people in south east Queensland but only around 170,000 in Ipswich.

There is enough people in the Brisbane area that don't support the Broncos and I've always thought of the Broncos as a north of the river team. It about time the Southerners had a team.

*Still playing out of Suncorp though.

They shouldn't play out of Ipswich - it should either be a new stadium in South Brisbane or Suncorp. But you can take a known QLD club identity - and spread it to cover everything south of Mt Gravatt - just call it Brisbane Jets et al

lturner

Juniors
They shouldn't play out of Ipswich - it should either be a new stadium in South Brisbane or Suncorp. But you can take a known QLD club identity - and spread it to cover everything south of Mt Gravatt - just call it Brisbane Jets et al

Why would the Ipswich Jets football club would be planning to change their name to the Brisbane Jets, and move 30kms away to Logan? They might start off playing at Lang Park, but they would probably want to get a stadium near Ipswich eventually.

You might be right that a club based out of Lang Park, or on the south side somewhere would be the best idea for another Brisbane-area NRL club, but that's not what the Jets bid will be.

And as far as I know, they're the only serious South-East Qld bid.

docbrown

Coach
Why would the Ipswich Jets football club would be planning to change their name to the Brisbane Jets, and move 30kms away to Logan? They might start off playing at Lang Park, but they would probably want to get a stadium near Ipswich eventually.

You might be right that a club based out of Lang Park, or on the south side somewhere would be the best idea for another Brisbane-area NRL club, but that's not what the Jets bid will be.

And as far as I know, they're the only serious South-East Qld bid.

Being centred at Ipswich is just too far away to cover the rest of Southern Brisbane. It's a choice between representing 200,000 people compared to 1,000,000. At the moment Ipswich is a bit like Penrith - a satellite city. The ideal location would something half way between Ipswich and Logan that covers everything South of Mt Gravatt and north of Mt Warren. Unfortunately there's no direct rail line to connect those two centres, which makes things difficult. If Ipswich are going to be a genuine second side for Brisbane, then they need to think bigger.

Latest posts