What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
This bid has pretty much died off now anyway.

Western Australian Reds and Central Coast Bears for 2013!!! shoe ins.

Ipswich and Perth are the most important areas to go to.

Wellington and CQld have nothing on these 2, which is pretty obvious.

Why are those two the most important. With the Perth Reds bid say West Coast and Fremantle were going gangbusters in the AFL. What advertisement and coverage would the Perth Reds get in WA. What sponsorship dollar. What TV revenue would they bring in. I am not saying they are a bad idea far from it. I think they will be in as the number 2 spot after the Bears.

Ipswich are they more important then Central Coast Bears. I believe the central coast is very important and has the structure and juniors, people ion charge, stadium but more importantly the capital to be admitted to the NRL.

Ipswich is just too small. There may be 3.2 million people in south east Queensland but only around 170,000 in Ipswich.

There is enough people in the Brisbane area that don't support the Broncos and I've always thought of the Broncos as a north of the river team. It about time the Southerners had a team.

*Still playing out of Suncorp though.

That is 100% correct any side South of the River that wants to have a game in the NRL is a far better option then Ipswich. Playing out of Suncorp as well.

bobmar28

Bench
Ipswich is just too small. There may be 3.2 million people in south east Queensland but only around 170,000 in Ipswich.

There is enough people in the Brisbane area that don't support the Broncos and I've always thought of the Broncos as a north of the river team. It about time the Southerners had a team.

*Still playing out of Suncorp though.

Penrith has a population of 184,000 and is doing ok in a saturated market of 4.5 million. I'm sure the Jets would get plenty of support from the people of Brisbane who are not Broncos fans.

Smiley

Bench
Penrith has a population of 184,000 and is doing ok in a saturated market of 4.5 million. I'm sure the Jets would get plenty of support from the people of Brisbane who are not Broncos fans.

Penrith made the finals and still struggled to get crowds over 13,000. The game against the Parramatta had more eels supporters and they were also out number in their final against Canberra.

They won't if they base themselves in Ipswich.

docbrown

Coach
Penrith has a population of 184,000 and is doing ok in a saturated market of 4.5 million.

Imagine if Sydney had two teams - one in Penrith and one to cover everything else. It wouldn't be balanced.

The 2nd team in Brisbane needs to lead to a 50/50 market share - because that divide increases overall interest in the sport.

lturner

Juniors
Penrith made the finals and still struggled to get crowds over 13,000. The game against the Parramatta had more eels supporters and they were also out number in their final against Canberra.

Parramatta has a population of 167,000 which is less than Penrith's and about the same as Ipswich.

Not all the supporters of a club live directly in the district it is named for and based in. This is the same for every club and Ipswich would be no different. They would get support from the surrounding areas without a doubt.

docbrown

Coach
They would get support from the surrounding areas without a doubt.

The question is though: would they travel to Ipswich if the home games were played there? Especially if it's a 20-30km trip with no direct train line from Logan.

You don't see too many Sydney fans doing that.

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
Central Coast is a bad idea. Too close to Sydney and Newcastle, people that live there would already have another team they follow and most would not switch.

Newcastle with a bigger population and economy have struggled to pay their way for 20 years, Central Coast have less going for them than Newcastle

Central QLD and Perth would get my votes

roopy

Referee
Newcastle with a bigger population and economy have struggled to pay their way for 20 years, Central Coast have less going for them than Newcastle
bullsh*t.

Newcastle and Brisbane are the only two clubs who have never needed to have their football club income subsidised.
Newcastle is running a small debt, but they are one of only two sides who pay their bills from football income and have always done so.
All the other clubs except Brisbane are doing worse. Melbourne is proped up to the tune of millions every year - Newcastle, not one cent, ever.

juanfarkall

Coach
bullsh*t.

Newcastle and Brisbane are the only two clubs who have never needed to have their football club income subsidised.
Newcastle is running a small debt, but they are one of only two sides who pay their bills from football income and have always done so.
All the other clubs except Brisbane are doing worse. Melbourne is proped up to the tune of millions every year - Newcastle, not one cent, ever.

Didn't Newcastle get a handout a few years ago to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars from the money which had belonged to the Gold Coast Chargers at the time they were put to sleep ?
A "loan" which as far as I am aware is still unpaid...
Pretty sure a leech named Searle wailed about it at one stage

BunniesMan

Immortal
Central Coast is a bad idea. Too close to Sydney and Newcastle, people that live there would already have another team they follow and most would not switch.

Central QLD and Perth would get my votes
Google it. The Central Coast has approximately the same population as Newcastle. And as well as the Central Coast the Bears would have North Sydney diehards more than happy to buy memberships and go to games.

bobmar28

Bench

Where should an Ipswich team be based?

bobmar28

Bench
The question is though: would they travel to Ipswich if the home games were played there? Especially if it's a 20-30km trip with no direct train line from Logan.

You don't see too many Sydney fans doing that.

Tigers home is Campbelltown yet they only play a couple of games there. Ipswich could do the same. Campbelltown is 60k from the city. Ipswich is 40k from Brisbane CBD.

Smiley

Bench
Where should an Ipswich team be based?

An Ipswich team should be based in Ipswich but what I'm saying is Brisbane people won't support the club because of that.

Even if its called the Western Jets you have already alienated sections of potential supporters by the using Western.

A new team in the SEQ should be called either Brisbane "whos its" or Greater Brisbane "whos its".

docbrown

Coach
Good point.

That's valid - perhaps they could play 4 or 5 in Ipswich and 7 or 8 at Lang Park.

However the points about the name is right. It shouldn't be "Ipswich" or "Western" etc - it should be "Brisbane" or "South Queensland" or some variation thereof.

bobmar28

Bench
An Ipswich team should be based in Ipswich but what I'm saying is Brisbane people won't support the club because of that.

Even if its called the Western Jets you have already alienated sections of potential supporters by the using Western.

A new team in the SEQ should be called either Brisbane "whos its" or Greater Brisbane "whos its".

Two teams named Brisbane?

adamkungl

Immortal
Could you call it South Brisbane to represent South of the river? Ipswich is a bit off to the West but is still technically South...

From what little I know about Brisbane, there seems to be a North-South divide, why not take advantage of that rather than some vague 'Western' name, or a tiny place like Ipswich?

Brutus

Referee
That's valid - perhaps they could play 4 or 5 in Ipswich and 7 or 8 at Lang Park.

However the points about the name is right. It shouldn't be "Ipswich" or "Western" etc - it should be "Brisbane" or "South Queensland" or some variation thereof.

Yeah fully agree.

The SQ Jets sounds fine to me.