What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Because 9 of them are choking eachother...

Perth, CC, an Ipswich/Logan team and Wellington would have a much larger base of support, but two Sydney teams would have to either relocate or dissolve. Sharks and Tigers would be the most likely candidates IMO...

No offence, but you have sh*t for brains.

AuDragon

Juniors
No offence, but you have sh*t for brains.
That's ok, I think you're wearing a dick on your forehead, but mean no offence by that... :crazy:

I actually like the Tigers, mainly because I like their attractive style of play. But they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (Dogs and Eels), and have no growth in them.
Another option would be Souths or the chooks, although they're slightly better positioned than Wests.

Dragons, Dogs, Eels and Panthers are well established and have either support in numbers or the room to get them.

Manly can't go, as it would leave a gaping hole between the CC and the nearest Sydney team.

Apart from a few idiots who want to hang on to history or are too Sydney centric, everyone knows there are too many teams in the greater Sydney area, so who would you cull/relocate/merge?

Flapper

First Grade
That's ok, I think you're wearing a dick on your forehead, but mean no offence by that... :crazy:

I actually like the Tigers, mainly because I like their attractive style of play. But they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (Dogs and Eels), and have no growth in them.
Another option would be Souths or the chooks, although they're slightly better positioned than Wests.

Dragons, Dogs, Eels and Panthers are well established and have either support in numbers or the room to get them.

Manly can't go, as it would leave a gaping hole between the CC and the nearest Sydney team.

Apart from a few idiots who want to hang on to history or are too Sydney centric, everyone knows there are too many teams in the greater Sydney area, so who would you cull/relocate/merge?

We're one of the best supported teams in the league! The Tigers going anywhere could quite possibly cripple rugby league.

Red Bear

Referee
Because 9 of them are choking eachother...

Perth, CC, an Ipswich/Logan team and Wellington would have a much larger base of support, but two Sydney teams would have to either relocate or dissolve. Sharks and Tigers would be the most likely candidates IMO...
This shows you have no idea. Tigers? Regular high attendences and the entire campbelltown/camden/mccarthur etc region, huge area. Tigers along with Canterbury, Eels and Saints are the big clubs in Sydney support wise.

Tigers have already gone down the path of merging.. why would you further segregate their fans by moving them? Only teams that never experienced (merging or culling) should get ready to move. That is Sharks & Easts. The Wests/Balmain, St George/Illawarra, Manly/Norths/CC, Souths shouldn't have to pack up as they've been merged before or culled.. (Unless Manly want to relocate to Sunny Coast, QLD.. which could be foreseeable). Bulldogs/Panthers/Eels have strong support and monopolies in their area's.

Again that leave the Sharks and Easts.. two teams with below average crowds and memberships. They become the most logical options of relocating or culling.. even then Roosters hold a prestige title in being the only team to play every season and have been fairly successful. Whilst the Sharks are still broke, only signed graham and smith thanks to the early NRL club grants and are a bunch of shambles off the field.

Last edited:

AuDragon

Juniors
We're one of the best supported teams in the league! The Tigers going anywhere could quite possibly cripple rugby league.
Wow, that's an enormous call there!
I think you're letting your heart speak ahead of reason, which is why Sydney teams are choking eachother...

The Tigers haven't got the support numbers of Dragons, Eels or Dogs, nor the room Penrith and Manly have. They are on par with Roosters and Souths, but probably don't have the corporate support the Roosters do. So IMO, it's really between Souths and Wests.

AuDragon

Juniors
This shows you have no idea. Tigers? Regular high attendences and the entire campbelltown/camden/mccarthur etc region, huge area. Tigers along with Canterbury, Eels and Saints are the big clubs in Sydney support wise.
But they're stuck in that Wests corridor between the Dogs and the Eels, and those three teams are competing for support.

I have absolutely nothing against the Tigers, but I'm just trying to follow common sense, while not being unrealistic.

Ideally, Sharks should move while Easts and Souths should merge, as well as dogs and tigers (again), but that is not realistic. The rivalry won't let it happen and we would risk seeing a new North Sydney / Manly debacle happening.

simostorm

Bench
CC Bears have to be a shoe-in. If they are not admitted then the NRL has proven to be a political driven organisation.

Perth should be admitted as the second team.

Eight months out from a possible decision of expansion, Ribot decides Ipswich needs a team.

Northern Eagles was Manly. Going to their matches the "supporters' would yell out Manly and even the ground announcer did.

Norths Sydney was shafted and the Central Coast has been also.

Bring back a team combining the North Shore and a great developing area - the Central Coast.

Don't expand for the sake of having teams spread throughout Australia.

Most people outside QLD and NSW do not care about rugby league and never will.

CC Bears and Perth Reds 2013.

Another QLD team and PNG/NZ/QLD team 2017. (Inform these two clubs on the annoucement of the teams in 2011)

a team based around Ipswich area has been in the works for a long time.

The bid has only come up now.. cos its only needed to come up now.

adamkungl

Immortal

Haha you don't know Sydney at all.

Tigers are the least stuck, they have the massive Campbeltown/South West Sydney area.

Sharks are the only Sydney team with any real case against them due to their financial state. Sydney is fine.

The aim should be for a 20 team comp in the next 10 years.

The current 16 +
CC and Perth +
SEQLD and Wellington/Christchurch
with possible relocations if necessary to Adelaide or Sunshine Coast.

mightybears

Bench
I disagree queenslanders don't associate CC with the gosford region but more so the Rockhampton area The same with brisbanites, we would associate wests with the Ipswich, goodna springfield area. so I think it would work.

so you don't think that the name 'Ipswich' will deter those in say Warwick or T'ba, or say Woodridge from supporting them but 'South Queensland' [the name for the region as a whole much like North Queensland] would?

The Cows didn't call themselves Townsville Cowboys for precisely that reason [eg-few in Cairns would support a 'Townsville' team, but 'North Qld' gives everyone in the North ownership .

Timbo

Staff member
I wonder if Gallop is praying the Sharks collapse?

No Sharks means no problem.

But I think Perth is in and it'll be a coin-toss between Ipswich and CC.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
so you don't think that the name 'Ipswich' will deter those in say Warwick or T'ba, or say Woodridge from supporting them but 'South Queensland' [the name for the region as a whole much like North Queensland] would?

The Cows didn't call themselves Townsville Cowboys for precisely that reason [eg-few in Cairns would support a 'Townsville' team, but 'North Qld' gives everyone in the North ownership .

I think North QLD is a special case, mainly due to the Townsville-Cairns rivalry and the fact that there has always been an us vs them view with North Qld and the rest of Qld.

Marketed properly I don't think the Ipswich Jets would have trouble gaining fans from all over SEQ. I'd much prefer them to have a name anchored to a particular city instead of something like Western or South Queensland.

Goddo

Bench
If the NRL go to a 18 team comp in 2013, they are going to have some hard decisions to make..

Central Coast Bears should be a shoe in. Already have the stadium and the support, not to mention the juniors..

Central QLD and Ipswich have good reasons to be included not least because of the small amount of NRL teams in QLD for the massive fan base..

Perth simply for expansion and making the NRL TRULY National..

Adelaide and Wellington have less reason with PNG a lowly last..PNG would be better off professionalising their comp and trying to get NRL clubs interested in their players and having regular Tests..

I think the best way of moving forward to would be to drop the Sharks and introduce CC Bears, CQLD and Ipswich..

+1. Drop the dead weight from Cronulla and bring in Perth Central Coast and Ipswich. Finally a Qld bid that is worth serious concideration. Sorry Central Qld, your just too small to warrant a side, even with huge corporate backing.

I agree with others, Ipswich is great, we just need to get rid of any Ribot involvement. He likes to tie himself to new clubs and claim their success, and use it to wield some power. FK OFF MERKIN.

Goddo

Bench
Haha you don't know Sydney at all.

Tigers are the least stuck, they have the massive Campbeltown/South West Sydney area.

Sharks are the only Sydney team with any real case against them due to their financial state. Sydney is fine.

The aim should be for a 20 team comp in the next 10 years.

The current 16 +
CC and Perth +
SEQLD and Wellington/Christchurch
with possible relocations if necessary to Adelaide or Sunshine Coast.

I always seem to think the same sort of thing as you... probably because you are one of the few rational voices here.

Goddo

Bench
Concidering the Air Force is about to buy a heap of F35 A Lightning II Fighters from Lockheed Martin (and hopefully a few B's for the Navy), I recon a new logo with an F35 would look unbelievable.

The name "Jets" comes from Amberley RAAF Base nearby, so very apropriate. Also, an "est. 1986" on it would look great...

EDIT: if they could pinch Alfie (highly doubt it) he would make a good first coach...

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Kevin Walters is your first coach - local bloke and massively popular all over the South-East region. Hell, get all the Walters brothers involved.

Goddo is right, Cronulla need to go so all three bids can come in.

Latest posts