What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

mongoose

Coach
The NRL is going to expand to wherever is strategically best in terms of business, exposure and corporate support (hence why the melbourne storm just popped up out of nowhere), in that respects the Central QLD and PNG bids have no chance. Perth and another Brisbane team is going to be the best in terms of revenue, sponsorship and getting the best TV deal. CC may have to wait longer or for a sydney team to fold as they are already in a saturated market.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Would it work if the Independent Commision asked the Sharks to step back out of the competition until 2017 in return for a debt right off? With the extra money from the tv deal it could be arranged and then they can come back in with another expansion team.

Flapper

First Grade
I think if Cronulla were about to go under, they would tearfully beg the NRL to let them move somewhere else before they'd fold.

applesauce

Bench
Don't forget Manly are strapped for cash (having to take a game to CC to make 300k and looking at again in 2011 with a trip to Suncorp currently penciled in as well).

Unfortunately they are in a niche market with a council unwilling to help with a Brooky redevelopment. It could force their hand in a few years (depends on how much money the owners are willing to throw at the club).

Not that I want this to happen to either club, but the removal of Manly (Sunshine Coast) and the Sharks (Adelaide) could happen without any help from the NRL but make the game stronger in the long term.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I dont mean fold I mean step back to NSW Cup for 4 seasons and then return (as the Cronulla Sharks) in 2017 with another expansion club. That way we get the three new teams without having to kill off anyone, just bench them for a little while.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Having a team in Perth may be great for expansion but who will meet the costs of travelling there. Taking your NRL and U20's squad plus support staff will cost a bit of coin.

CC Bears have to be in the competition come 2013. They have the local support, juniors on the coast and the north shore (Adelaide what 6 clubs and WA 10 clubs?), membership already, sponorship, a NRL standard stadium and the traditional link to the Bears. They have already applied once only for the Gold Coast to be given an extra years grace to have thier bid ready.

Perth well maybe good for the game but it is AFL territory and always will be. Should have a current NRL club that is struggling for support have a defacto relationship with them.

Ipswich - can they be ready in 8 months when the bids maybe announced. If they are preferred to the Central Coast and even WA then we know where the NRL's hidden agenda's stand. (Look after our mate - Ribot. ). But Brisbane has a strangle-hold and Ispwich also has many juniors. It is a strong League territory like the CC/North Shore.

CQLD - population is spread out and it does not even have a stadium.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Haha you don't know Sydney at all.

Tigers are the least stuck, they have the massive Campbeltown/South West Sydney area.

Sharks are the only Sydney team with any real case against them due to their financial state. Sydney is fine.

The aim should be for a 20 team comp in the next 10 years.

The current 16 +
CC and Perth +
SEQLD and Wellington/Christchurch
with possible relocations if necessary to Adelaide or Sunshine Coast.

I won't call my Roosters mates "dumb" anymore. At this Rooster has sense.

The current 16 +
CC and Perth +
SEQLD and Wellington/Christchurch
with possible relocations if necessary to (Adelaide or CQLD/or PNG/NT combined); or Sunshine Coast. This is what should happen

jim_57

Staff member
Kevin Walters is your first coach - local bloke and massively popular all over the South-East region. Hell, get all the Walters brothers involved.

Goddo is right, Cronulla need to go so all three bids can come in.

Terrible coach though, just awful.

simostorm

Bench
What if Sharks were moved to Perth. Perth get there club, SHarks stay in the comp and CC and Ipswich can come in.

adamkungl

Immortal
What if Sharks were moved to Perth. Perth get there club, SHarks stay in the comp and CC and Ipswich can come in.

Why would Perth want a basket case of a club from Sydney when they have a pretty convincing home grown bid in the works?

That's ok, I think you're wearing a dick on your forehead, but mean no offence by that... :crazy:

It doesn't offend me because I do.

I actually like the Tigers, mainly because I like their attractive style of play. But they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (Dogs and Eels), and have no growth in them.

I don't actually care if you like us, it's irrelevant.

As for "they're stuck between a rock and a hard place", are you mentally helped in any way on a daily basis?

Do you know where Campbelltown is and do you know how huge a growth area it is?

Moving the Tigers risks handing over Campbelltown to Picton to AFL lock, stock and barrell for a start. Secondly, we've averaged bigger crowds than Parramatta for all of the past 6 years and 5 of the last 6 for the Bulldogs.

It would quite possibly be the stupidest move in Rugby League since someone looked at John Ribot and said "Yeah, let's give that bloke a job".

Another option would be Souths or the chooks, although they're slightly better positioned than Wests.

Neither of them are.

You're a barking imbecile.

Dragons, Dogs, Eels and Panthers are well established and have either support in numbers or the room to get them.

Dragons, Eels and Panthers have all averaged less than the Wests Tigers for the past 6 years (including this year).

Think about that statement.

How many times in the past 6 years has your team made the semis?

Manly can't go, as it would leave a gaping hole between the CC and the nearest Sydney team.

But you'd be happy to give the South West to AFL?

In the immortal words of John Cleese : "You're a loony".

Apart from a few idiots who want to hang on to history or are too Sydney centric, everyone knows there are too many teams in the greater Sydney area, so who would you cull/relocate/merge?

Well, if you're anything to judge Saints fans by, Saints should be the first to go. But you aren't obviousy, you're a can short of a six pack.

You have no idea what you're talking about. None.

But they're stuck in that Wests corridor between the Dogs and the Eels, and those three teams are competing for support.

I have absolutely nothing against the Tigers, but I'm just trying to follow common sense, while not being unrealistic.

Ideally, Sharks should move while Easts and Souths should merge, as well as dogs and tigers (again), but that is not realistic. The rivalry won't let it happen and we would risk seeing a new North Sydney / Manly debacle happening.

WTF?

I didn't think you could get stupider than your last post, but you did.

Congrats, you win an ice cream. Get your carer to feed it to you.

AuDragon

Juniors
Well, if you're anything to judge Saints fans by, Saints should be the first to go. But you aren't obviousy, you're a can short of a six pack.

Yeah, because you do. Calling me a saints fan and all... :crazy:
My team has always made the semis in the past oh... 19 years. And btw, we've won the premiership 6 times in that time.
If you need more hints, look at my avatar and my banner and you might get there, although judging by your dribble, it's doubtfull... :sarcasm:

Please crawl back in your sewer and stay there, there's a pestilence in the air when you show up. :arrow:

adamkungl

Immortal
It doesn't offend me because I do.

I don't actually care if you like us, it's irrelevant.

As for "they're stuck between a rock and a hard place", are you mentally helped in any way on a daily basis?

Do you know where Campbelltown is and do you know how huge a growth area it is?

Moving the Tigers risks handing over Campbelltown to Picton to AFL lock, stock and barrell for a start. Secondly, we've averaged bigger crowds than Parramatta for all of the past 6 years and 5 of the last 6 for the Bulldogs.

It would quite possibly be the stupidest move in Rugby League since someone looked at John Ribot and said "Yeah, let's give that bloke a job".

Neither of them are.

You're a barking imbecile.

Dragons, Eels and Panthers have all averaged less than the Wests Tigers for the past 6 years (including this year).

Think about that statement.

How many times in the past 6 years has your team made the semis?

But you'd be happy to give the South West to AFL?

Methinks hes a Donkeys fan, not a saints fan, despite the username

Goddo

Bench

I hate to nit pick, but that was Greyham Chapman (the dead one) who said that as King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (funniest movie ever made).

AuDragon

Juniors
Methinks hes a Donkeys fan, not a saints fan, despite the username
You're spot on, and I'm not Big Dell either! :lol:

My username is related to the soccer team I've supported since my childhood in Europe. Which is why I make my allegiance clear in this forum with my avatar and banner!