What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

applesauce

Bench
Hear me out...

What if we had a team in brisbane like say Parramatta to Sydney, one of the largest suburbs by far is Sunnybank. It encompasses the centre of the southside and is surrounded by all the major southside suburbs. The government could finally do something with the old ANZ stadium as well (which is 2mins away).

Sunnybank Brothers. It keeps Brisbane out of the name so the Broncos are happy, it will be a true derby North v South and cover a huge market that is Brisbanes southside. The population is far greater than Ipswich, and will probably have a lot of Ipswich fans anyway.

Hear me out...

What if we had a team in brisbane like say Parramatta to Sydney, one of the largest suburbs by far is Sunnybank. It encompasses the centre of the southside and is surrounded by all the major southside suburbs. The government could finally do something with the old ANZ stadium as well (which is 2mins away).

Sunnybank Brothers. It keeps Brisbane out of the name so the Broncos are happy, it will be a true derby North v South and cover a huge market that is Brisbanes southside. The population is far greater than Ipswich, and will probably have a lot of Ipswich fans anyway.

No way wouldn't work. Sunnybank gets congested as it is because of sh*tty Kessels Rd and the not to flash Mains Rd. Realistically there should be a tunnel from the M1 exit that cuts under Kessels Rd.

I remember how bad it was to get to QEII back in the 90's. The public transport has improved but it's not effective if that congestion is there. The demographs also come into play, Sunnybank is very multi cultural. That could work in the favour for a bid though.

The best place is probably Drewvale. http://www.whereis.com/qld/drewvale/illaweena-st#session=MTA=

Next to the Gateway Motoray & Logan Motorway which links Ipswich Motorway & Pacific Motorway.

Logan, South Brisbane, West Brisbane & Ipswich are all in close proximity. Regular Bus services 130, 131, 140, 141, 150, 151 all pass near by. It's a growing area which has Sunnybank, Browns Plains, Algester, Calamvale all beside it.

They'll never do it though...

RedVee

First Grade
One of the best (imo) true-blue nicknames was the Diehards.
Are Valleys still around at all? I know the merge with Brothers didn't work out, but I've not heard of either of them since.

Bro Bear

Juniors
It would be great if a new NRL entity was named Diehards or Brothers. Others Jets or Diggers. Don't like these American names in our Aust sport - Storm, Power, Pride etc

simostorm

Bench
It would be great if a new NRL entity was named Diehards or Brothers. Others Jets or Diggers. Don't like these American names in our Aust sport - Storm, Power, Pride etc

According to what an article i read about 3 weeks ago.. the Storm is the most regonized Australian sporting name and logo.. even moreso then the Magpies (Collingwood)..

dont have the link.. and i cant be bothered searching for it.. if i do come across it again.. ill post it up..

RedVee

First Grade
Valleys are dead, all that remains is the junior club.

Maybe they should aim at using some of these names then; Diehards, Brethren (or Brothers), Crushers.
I am not au fait enough with Brisbane/ SE Queensland RL history to think of any more.

bobmar28

Bench
Within the local community (Ipswich and SW Brisbane) the Ipswich Jets have a reputation for being a financial basketcase who continually struggle to pay their debts.
Even in the past few seasons the club has been existing on the bones of it's arse and has struggled to make ends meet.
Those of us who have had the misfortune to deal with the club over the past 20 years find it more than a little amusing that the Fokkers have the audacity to be speaking about an NRL Bid as anything other than pie in the sky as it has little credibility within the local community with anyone other than those seeking publicity and an extra line for their own CV's..

Is the other side of the door in QLD somewhere?

bobmar28

Bench
No way wouldn't work. Sunnybank gets congested as it is because of sh*tty Kessels Rd and the not to flash Mains Rd. Realistically there should be a tunnel from the M1 exit that cuts under Kessels Rd.

I remember how bad it was to get to QEII back in the 90's. The public transport has improved but it's not effective if that congestion is there. The demographs also come into play, Sunnybank is very multi cultural. That could work in the favour for a bid though.

The best place is probably Drewvale. http://www.whereis.com/qld/drewvale/illaweena-st#session=MTA=

Next to the Gateway Motoray & Logan Motorway which links Ipswich Motorway & Pacific Motorway.

Logan, South Brisbane, West Brisbane & Ipswich are all in close proximity. Regular Bus services 130, 131, 140, 141, 150, 151 all pass near by. It's a growing area which has Sunnybank, Browns Plains, Algester, Calamvale all beside it.

They'll never do it though...
Where ever it goes there has to be a team in QLD, and soon.

bobmar28

Bench
Hear me out...

So, if Ipswich do get a franchise they could draw on support from Sunnybank?

bobmar28

Bench

Storm is American? I thought it was a severe weather event.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
So, if Ipswich do get a franchise they could draw on support from Sunnybank?

I think in some ways it is a one way street.

Ipswich is associated with low socioeconomic status and crime (for the most part about the money is true).

Where as for the most part Sunnybank and Brisbanes inner south is a richer area that would probably consider it a step down to support and Ipswich team (when given a choice between the Broncos or Jets).

Ipswich is the butt of Brisbane's jokes and like you see plenty of Broncos supporters in Ipswich I think you would see that with a South Brisbane team as it is closer and more relatable than the typically Broncos "northern" status.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Applesauce is right. Ipswich is not seen in a very positive light by most Brisbanites and would gather little support from outside the region with that name. In my short time up here I have learned that you have to live in the place to love it and unfortunantly not that many people live out there, well at least not enough to justify basing a national team there.

Smiley

Bench
I think in some ways it is a one way street.

Ipswich is associated with low socioeconomic status and crime (for the most part about the money is true).

Where as for the most part Sunnybank and Brisbanes inner south is a richer area that would probably consider it a step down to support and Ipswich team (when given a choice between the Broncos or Jets).

Ipswich is the butt of Brisbane's jokes and like you see plenty of Broncos supporters in Ipswich I think you would see that with a South Brisbane team as it is closer and more relatable than the typically Broncos "northern" status.

Do you know the Demographics of Sunnybank? Asian central.

It won't be long till English Street signs are replaced by asian characters.

If QEII was transformed into a table tennis stadium it would sell out every week.

Springwood is the go for me.

Next to the motorway, the south-east busway is in the process of extending and according to the SEQ Regional Plan its been designated as Logan's CBD.

Mt. Gravatt would be good also.

applesauce

Bench
Do you know the Demographics of Sunnybank? Asian central.

It won't be long till English Street signs are replaced by asian characters.

If QEII was transformed into a table tennis stadium it would sell out every week.

Springwood is the go for me.

Next to the motorway, the south-east busway is in the process of extending and according to the SEQ Regional Plan its been designated as Logan's CBD.

Mt. Gravatt would be good also.

Sunnybank encompasses that area. Sunnybank is THE southside suburb, yes it has a huge asian influence (in parts) but bankstown has a huge middle eastern demographic I don't know what you are trying to prove. Sunnybank also has a huge RL and RU presence. Sunnybank High has RL as a subject and the Sunnybank Dragons is a very successful RU club in the area. There is a market for a Rugby code on the southside to dominate. Personally I think Sunnybank is far enough away from the Broncos but close enough to Loga, ipswich and all major suburbs to be embraced by.

Sunnybank is next to QEII, is surrounded by 8 Miles Plains, Rocklea, Mt. Gravatt, Sunnybank Hills, Calamvale, Mcgregor, Coopers Plains etc.

Springwood is too LOGAN...:sarcasm:

Last edited:

DINGb@T

Juniors
Yeah but noone here identifies with Sunnybank. It's not like I go around claiming I'm from Sunnybank. It's not a regional name with an identity, just another suburb you live in. Mt Gravatt is also a lot larger so if any suburb of Brisbane's south was going to claim the team as their own it would be it.

And as for Springwood- that falls under the regional category of 'Logan'. Fine if you want a Logan team (would be well supported I reckon but a bit feral) but I doubt they want a team smack bang half way between the Gold Coast and Brisbane so soon after the Titans have set up.