What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

RedVee

First Grade
SQ Diehards.

I like it.

Thank you, me too. :)

When GC Tits came in wasn't one of the reasons used by Redcliffe in opposing the proposal for GC Dolphins that Redcliffe had NRL ambitions of their own????? No movement on that front?

Canard

Immortal
No modern sport franchise would give themselves a nickname as limiting as "suburb X" or "suburb y".

mightybears

Bench
Thank you, me too. :)

When GC Tits came in wasn't one of the reasons used by Redcliffe in opposing the proposal for GC Dolphins that Redcliffe had NRL ambitions of their own????? No movement on that front?

To be honest, i think it would work/don't mind the South Queensland Diehards, playing at Suncorp obviously and based at Ipswich. but waering the old Valley's strip, Wally would no doubt be patron

Valleys were obviously the big deal back in the day and i'm sure there are a number of execs of Qld companies in the 50's who were/are Diehard fan who'd put their money down. [for an NRL team].

I know some here will say, why did Valley's die then. Becuase they were demographically/geopgraphically locked out of growth. Ipswich is an area that doesn't have that problem.

And the Valley's hatred/jealousy would have disappeared except from some brothers fans!

bobmar28

Bench
To be honest, i think it would work/don't mind the South Queensland Diehards, playing at Suncorp obviously and based at Ipswich. but waering the old Valley's strip, Wally would no doubt be patron

Valleys were obviously the big deal back in the day and i'm sure there are a number of execs of Qld companies in the 50's who were/are Diehard fan who'd put their money down. [for an NRL team].

I know some here will say, why did Valley's die then. Becuase they were demographically/geopgraphically locked out of growth. Ipswich is an area that doesn't have that problem.

And the Valley's hatred/jealousy would have disappeared except from some brothers fans!
So you think an Ipswich team is a good idea?

You make me laugh Bobmar. Never have I seen someone who is not from Ipswich push for Ipswich so hard. The locals themselves arent even sure if they want their own team but everyone else apparently knows what's best for the city of Ipswich.

You will dillute Titans and Broncos support by putting a team in South Qld at the moment. Ipswich doesn't have the population at the moment and to make a team from both areas is basically kamikaze. They are both 10 years away from being ready to step up. Not to say they don't deserve a team but it's very premature at this moment.

Even Central Qld which has a population dispersed hours away from where they wanna be based is too premature. With a targeted 2013 entry I believe any team brought in that's not the ccbears or wareds is going to be severely under done. If the expansion time frame was for 2017-2020 however then i'd believe both south qld, central qld and Ipswich would all be worthy of not only a team but a new stadium.

However Central Qld might never get the stadium. Anna Bligh has promised one but she will not win the next elections and the Liberals don't want a bar of it. That will leave South Qld and Ipswich, both will fight eachother out of contention and the most likely new qld team by that time will probably be the non mentioned sunshine coast/widebay/caboolture/redcliffe region.

Brutus

Referee
If the next team from Brisbane was names The Diehards I have no doubt this would attract the majority, if not all, of the old Brisbane Rugby League supporters, plus a whole new generation of fans.

Those old BRL rivalries involving the teams that are no longer in the comp like Valleys, Brothers and Wests are pretty much gone. People who may have hated those clubs in the past now remember them, and the BRL comp as a whole, with great affection.

bobmar28

Bench
You make me laugh Bobmar. Never have I seen someone who is not from Ipswich push for Ipswich so hard. The locals themselves arent even sure if they want their own team but everyone else apparently knows what's best for the city of Ipswich.

You will dillute Titans and Broncos support by putting a team in South Qld at the moment. Ipswich doesn't have the population at the moment and to make a team from both areas is basically kamikaze. They are both 10 years away from being ready to step up. Not to say they don't deserve a team but it's very premature at this moment.

Even Central Qld which has a population dispersed hours away from where they wanna be based is too premature. With a targeted 2013 entry I believe any team brought in that's not the ccbears or wareds is going to be severely under done. If the expansion time frame was for 2017-2020 however then i'd believe both south qld, central qld and Ipswich would all be worthy of not only a team but a new stadium.

However Central Qld might never get the stadium. Anna Bligh has promised one but she will not win the next elections and the Liberals don't want a bar of it. That will leave South Qld and Ipswich, both will fight eachother out of contention and the most likely new qld team by that time will probably be the non mentioned sunshine coast/widebay/caboolture/redcliffe region.

I'm not from QLD either but it's obvious to me that QLD needs another team as soon as possible to counter the AFL invasion of that state.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
I totally agree with you bobmar, next two teams need to be Ipswich and WA Reds in 2012 and another NZ team and a central Queensland team in 2014.

dgsfan

Juniors
I don't necessarily think the next QLD team needs to be from Ipswich, it just has to be from the metro area.

mightybears

Bench
So you think an Ipswich team is a good idea?

I'll assume you are not being smart, so:Tragically i've been on this forum long enough to say, go back years and you'll find me supportive of expansion where it be a sustained.

That has always meant a Central Coast, Perth, Wellington, Gold Coast and 2nd Brisbane area team, it doesn't imo mean Adelaide or even Central Queensland.

In the past i always thought the best mix/more likely scenario in SEQ was a GC team, a Broncos focused on Brisbane and to the south/west and a 2nd Brisbane team played at Suncorp but with a Brisbane North/Sunny Coast focus focus based at Redcliffe for training BUT the later hasn't materialised so yes a 2nd Brisbane area team based at Ipswich but called South Qld somethings would work equally as well. The numbers in SEQ obviously exist for another team, never doubted it.

Trouble is the bid Redcliffe or Ippy bid/campaign hasn't really stepped up in the way a CCB and Perth bid has.

mightybears

Bench
If the next team from Brisbane was names The Diehards I have no doubt this would attract the majority, if not all, of the old Brisbane Rugby League supporters, plus a whole new generation of fans.

Those old BRL rivalries involving the teams that are no longer in the comp like Valleys, Brothers and Wests are pretty much gone. People who may have hated those clubs in the past now remember them, and the BRL comp as a whole, with great affection.

Agreed

Desert Qlder

First Grade

You're from Sydney but you have sold me on that one, not an easy task. Brisbane Diehards would be fantastic for the very reasons you described!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
One-eyed Newtown fans must think they’re being singled out. The official 2nd Brisbane bid is called the Jets while we’re talking about another bid which I’d assume would play in a royal blue and white jersey...

jim_57

Staff member
One-eyed Newtown fans must think they’re being singled out. The official 2nd Brisbane bid is called the Jets while we’re talking about another bid which I’d assume would play in a royal blue and white jersey...

:-k

Edit: Assume these were Diehard's colours?

Really like the idea of the Diehards revival the more I here of it.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
:-k

Edit: Assume these were Diehard's colours?

Really like the idea of the Diehards revival the more I here of it.

yep, Royal Blue from memory. They were a bit like Brisbanes version of Newtown. Royal Blue, inner city, small junior base.