What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
Live isn't always good. Live is only good for getting a larger audience, but a live game at 9:30pm will not have as many ads as a delayed game, and because its a late time slot, most people will go to bed, so the loss of ad time is not going to be made up for by the extra viewers of a live audience.

Its not the fact that the game at 9:30 is a replay that puts people off, its the sheer lateness of the starting time. Same situation for Sunday afternoons. Less ad time if its live, and if it were to go to extra time, I cant see any network willing to sacrifice its news broadcast for it.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I love my league but after the extraordinary number of ads at the 9.30pm game, i forget where they left off and what stage the game is in. If it were live i think people would always know where the game is and how it is progressing, the ads get in the way of a free flowing games for mine. And when people have to start thinking at 10.30-11pm they give up and go to bed.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I love my league but after the extraordinary number of ads at the 9.30pm game, i forget where they left off and what stage the game is in. If it were live i think people would always know where the game is and how it is progressing, the ads get in the way of a free flowing games for mine. And when people have to start thinking at 10.30-11pm they give up and go to bed.

What ever the reason for it, fact is there are more ads for delayed games, which is where money for TV networks are made and where we need to convince them that a Perth timeslot is going to help them with that.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Titans have significant support from fans in the Bayside/south Brisbane areas. Go to the schools there and there’s as much Titans gear as Broncos gear.

An Ipswich side would do the same for Western Brisbane/Toowoomba you’d have to think.

It’s the best way to go imo. Have the Broncos in the heart and then satellite clubs surrounding them to the south (Titans) west (Jets) and north (eventual Sunshine Coast team). It gives the fans in each area a choice but doesn’t oversaturate/strangle the market.

ie:
picture.php

South Brisbane really seems the obvious choice...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Speaking of money. Its fair to say that the Reds are going to need some help for a few years to set themselves up. Not in the Melbourne proportions but help none the less.

The reasoning behind having another Qld teams is networks will have more options (particularly FTA networks) to show games games live into Queensland.

Perth will provide a new timeslot to show live games at a later hour for FTA but mainly PayTV. (Eg, 9:30 eastern will be a live 7:30 in Perth. etc etc)

CC is lacking in this area. However they will have a good following on TV as history has shown.

My question is, do you or anyone else in the WA bid team think that the prop up required for the Reds by the NRL, will be offset by the money that they will/should provide with the live timeslot option?

Because unless Fox (I dont think FTA will benefit too much from the live Perth timeslot) see good value in the timeslot, and the extra money the Reds will require is greater then is made from the timeslot, the NRL may feel that the Bears will be the safer option as they wont require any extra support.

My fear for the Reds is that because they are a risky area, we may invest money into the licence and if they were to fall into a heap requiring a bail out from the NRL, which at the moment can only provide an advance in the club grant because there is no money saved, which wouldnt help much.

Not saying that the Bears or Jets cant/wont fall into the same situation, but it is more likely to happen to the Reds. Im just saying that it is a possiblity that the IC may choose to leave out Perth and just admit the Bears and the Jets (which would seal up the eastern seaboard which in the past was the goal of the NRL)

I think, like Melbourne, it is a long term investment for the future of the game. To keep pace with AFL the simple fact is NRL has to expand beyond its two states. WA timezone gives some very enticing options for TV coverage in the Eastern states not to mention a brand new viewing market, something no other bid is offering.

A stipulation I would like to see for any extra grant money the Reds get is that it has to be spent on marketing and junior development. I wouldn't want to be like Melbourne where after an extra $50mill+ we still didn't have any WA players in the team.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
South Brisbane really seems the obvious choice...

Going by that map the team should be "South Brisbane" and not "West Brisbane" or words to that affect.

Either that or incorporate Lockyer valley and then call it west whatevers.

I shouldn’t have posted that map. ;-) Calling Ipswich 'South Brisbane' is like calling St George 'East Sydney’. Comparison might not be the best but you should get what I mean.

Remember Gallop has been going on about Brisbane’s magical western corridor for the last few years now, saying that the NRL needs a team there long before this bid was twinkle in anyone’s eye. Calling the team South Brisbane is just going to alienate the people in the nation’s fastest growing region.
If it’s going to be 'something-Brisbane' I’d much prefer West Brisbane Jets but that’s just imo.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think, like Melbourne, it is a long term investment for the future of the game. To keep pace with AFL the simple fact is NRL has to expand beyond its two states. WA timezone gives some very enticing options for TV coverage in the Eastern states not to mention a brand new viewing market, something no other bid is offering.

A stipulation I would like to see for any extra grant money the Reds get is that it has to be spent on marketing and junior development. I wouldn't want to be like Melbourne where after an extra $50mill+ we still didn't have any WA players in the team.

An investment that could backfire, and with no war chest to fall back on, the game might not be willing to take the risk. Not yet at least.

The timezones could be taken advantage of, but it is very dependant on local audience.

Look at the 3 bids and the possible match ups of the three and a current team. Lets throw in St George Illawarra.

Ipswich vs Central Coast - Like any normal match, the key will be the live audience that will interest viewers from NSW and Queensland.

Perth vs Dragons - This would be like a game against the Storm. The larger audience will be in NSW due to interest. It could be broadcast live as the 9:30 game here. My fear with this is that the game will be live and therefore not have the ad space as a delayed game and it could see a drop in numbers because of the late start. For these issues to be countered, the audience in WA would have to be large enough to make up for the loss in revenue from less ads and the possible loss of audience in NSW. That's for FTA anyway. On PayTV, that wont be an issue at all because the ad time will be the same regardless, the live audience should dramatically improve the audience for SuperSaturday and potentially a Sunday 4pm local 6pm eastern broadcast.

What it all comes down to, is the risk worth it? For all of us to sit here and say yes it is is easy. But for those on the IC who's first responsibility is to look after the clubs first it wont be as easy, especially with no money to fall on.

Im just not convinced that Perth are a shoe in. I think they should be in and would be if I had my say, but im not under any pressure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have yet to find any investment worth making that has no risk attached to it. NRL needs to get the $'s it needs to grow the game, that is the IC's job, if they fail then RL treads water for another decade. NO increased TV deal, no expansion of any sort, ltd TV increase no expansion, decent TV deal expansion will happen. Its down to the IC to get the extra $'s the game needs to expand at the top and bottom. If they bring in a Q'land and NSW team and ignore expansion of the game then that to me will be a much much greater long term risk for the game.

BuffaloRules

Coach
An investment that could backfire, and with no war chest to fall back on, the game might not be willing to take the risk. Not yet at least.

The timezones could be taken advantage of, but it is very dependant on local audience.

Look at the 3 bids and the possible match ups of the three and a current team. Lets throw in St George Illawarra.

Ipswich vs Central Coast - Like any normal match, the key will be the live audience that will interest viewers from NSW and Queensland.

Perth vs Dragons - This would be like a game against the Storm. The larger audience will be in NSW due to interest. It could be broadcast live as the 9:30 game here. My fear with this is that the game will be live and therefore not have the ad space as a delayed game and it could see a drop in numbers because of the late start. For these issues to be countered, the audience in WA would have to be large enough to make up for the loss in revenue from less ads and the possible loss of audience in NSW. That's for FTA anyway. On PayTV, that wont be an issue at all because the ad time will be the same regardless, the live audience should dramatically improve the audience for SuperSaturday and potentially a Sunday 4pm local 6pm eastern broadcast.

What it all comes down to, is the risk worth it? For all of us to sit here and say yes it is is easy. But for those on the IC who's first responsibility is to look after the clubs first it wont be as easy, especially with no money to fall on.

Im just not convinced that Perth are a shoe in. I think they should be in and would be if I had my say, but im not under any pressure.

You do make some valid points in respect of the Friday FTA game that would be shown live into Eastern States at 9.30pm...

Lets be honest though, its going to be rare that Perth plays at home on a Friday night.

The Friday night games will continue to have a popular NSW team ( typically Dragons, Tigers, Bulldogs or Eels) live into NSW as the 7.30 game whilst the other Friday night game will typically involve one of the SEQ teams ( hopefully by then the comp will also include a Second Brisbane team) to be shown live into QLD.

Perth will almost always play at home on Saturdays night at 9.30pm Eastern ( to be shown live on Foxtel) or more often, I can see that with the extra game a week a new slot will be found for them to play on Sundays at 4pm Perth time or 6pm Eastern time to be shown Live on Foxtel after the Channel 9 Sun arvo FTA game is finished...

Goddo

Bench
Talking about money, the ARL has about $20m squireled away from their cut of NRL profits and origin over the years. Where does that money go now the ARL is goneski?

bobmar28

Bench
Going by that map the team should be "South Brisbane" and not "West Brisbane" or words to that affect.

Either that or incorporate Lockyer valley and then call it west whatevers.

And Penrith should be called North Sydney. And I suppose Liverpool would be South Sydney. WTF?

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Talking about money, the ARL has about $20m squireled away from their cut of NRL profits and origin over the years. Where does that money go now the ARL is goneski?

I’d guess that some of it would go towards paying off the loan that the NRL took out to build Rugby League Central in Sydney.

bobmar28

Bench
I really hope they keep the name Jets. Don’t care if it’s the Ipswich Jets, Brisbane Jets, West Brisbane Jets, South QLD Jets, etc but with the arrival of the new RAAF fighters and massive expansion of Amberley airbase all timed for the next few years it would be a great tie-in for the team.

Do you really think the WA Reds and CC Bears should be the next teams in, as stated in your sig?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Do you really think the WA Reds and CC Bears should be the next teams in, as stated in your sig?

Yep. Things might change when the Jets release more info to the public early next year though.

Whether it’s the Reds & Bears or Reds & Jets I won’t be disappointed, they’ll both join the comp eventually. I’m honestly more passionate about the Reds getting back into the comp.

BDGS

Bench
I shouldn’t have posted that map. ;-) Calling Ipswich 'South Brisbane' is like calling St George 'East Sydney’. Comparison might not be the best but you should get what I mean.

Remember Gallop has been going on about Brisbane’s magical western corridor for the last few years now, saying that the NRL needs a team there long before this bid was twinkle in anyone’s eye. Calling the team South Brisbane is just going to alienate the people in the nation’s fastest growing region.
If it’s going to be 'something-Brisbane' I’d much prefer West Brisbane Jets but that’s just imo.

What about South Queensland as the name instead of South Brisbane?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What about South Queensland as the name instead of South Brisbane?

I used to think it’d be a bad idea to have such a loose identifier when they specifically want to focus on western SEQ but it has really been growing on me lately. I’d have no problem with it but they’ll probably stay away from using it simply because of comparisons to the Crushers. Unless of course it polls highly in the fan vote I guess.

BDGS

Bench
I used to think it’d be a bad idea to have such a loose identifier when they specifically want to focus on western SEQ but it has really been growing on me lately. I’d have no problem with it but they’ll probably stay away from using it simply because of comparisons to the Crushers. Unless of course it polls highly in the fan vote I guess.

What is your preference for NRL expansion btw?

i see you a regular poster on this bid but your signature has the Reds and Bears there.

bobmar28

Bench

If any part of SEQ could be given the tag 'western', it would be Ipswich.

Latest posts