What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

bobmar28

Bench
I used to think it’d be a bad idea to have such a loose identifier when they specifically want to focus on western SEQ but it has really been growing on me lately. I’d have no problem with it but they’ll probably stay away from using it simply because of comparisons to the Crushers. Unless of course it polls highly in the fan vote I guess.

Ipswich is bidding for a franchise. Their nickname is the Jets. Ipswich Jets should be the name. Although Western would fit nicely.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
An investment that could backfire, and with no war chest to fall back on, the game might not be willing to take the risk. Not yet at least.

The timezones could be taken advantage of, but it is very dependant on local audience.

Look at the 3 bids and the possible match ups of the three and a current team. Lets throw in St George Illawarra.

Ipswich vs Central Coast - Like any normal match, the key will be the live audience that will interest viewers from NSW and Queensland.

Perth vs Dragons - This would be like a game against the Storm. The larger audience will be in NSW due to interest. It could be broadcast live as the 9:30 game here. My fear with this is that the game will be live and therefore not have the ad space as a delayed game and it could see a drop in numbers because of the late start. For these issues to be countered, the audience in WA would have to be large enough to make up for the loss in revenue from less ads and the possible loss of audience in NSW. That's for FTA anyway. On PayTV, that wont be an issue at all because the ad time will be the same regardless, the live audience should dramatically improve the audience for SuperSaturday and potentially a Sunday 4pm local 6pm eastern broadcast.

What it all comes down to, is the risk worth it? For all of us to sit here and say yes it is is easy. But for those on the IC who's first responsibility is to look after the clubs first it wont be as easy, especially with no money to fall on.

Im just not convinced that Perth are a shoe in. I think they should be in and would be if I had my say, but im not under any pressure.

Based on todays news it looks like they are.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It appears not, still in its infancy with them just employing someone to start putting together a report. It is interesting that all the bids are going about it in a very different way. We shall see which one wins over the IC.

dgsfan

Juniors
So are QLD. Both bids are behind the Bears bid. Given time both will be superior.

Reds & QLD 2013!

andrew057

First Grade
So are QLD. Both bids are behind the Bears bid. Given time both will be superior.

Reds & QLD 2013!

Possibly true.

So at the moment they have one person emploed for a report and thats it? Probably best for QLD to aim for admittance in the next round of expansion though.

Arent the licenses set to be handed out in March? If so, you'd be crazy to think this bid will have a legitimate chance over the more established Bears and Reds bids.

dgsfan

Juniors
Bids will be called for in March. The decision won't be made until after that. Who know, really?

Highway1

Juniors
Combined Ipswich-Logan won't work? It would. Its a name taking in two areas for a team that will represent both. Whats the big deal?

Western Jets as the mayor of Ipswich keeps spruiking won't work simply because Springfield is almost due south of Brisbane. West of what? the beach? Gold Coast? Vanuatu? "Western" is a stupid ambiguous name. We already have the Wests Tigers and possibly WA Reds (who should be Perth Reds).

The other alternative is "Ipswich Jets", which I don't have a problem with, just it doesn't take in the whole area it wants to represent.

Finally, just because thats the way it has been with juniors doesn't mean thats the way it has to be - it wouldn't be that hard to restructure the area around the Jets. in fact it would be quite easy.

No and Ipswich-Logan team won't work. it's a bit like the relationship between the Sutherland Shire and Cambelltown city in Sydney, they maybe next to each other, but the relationship is non-existent.

The big deal is that Ipswich and Logan have historically got nothing to do with each other and if they had, Ipswich and Logan would've shared a QLD Cup team by now, or have a combined junior football district among Ipswich-Logan.

The Ipswich mayor maybe spruiking about the Ipswich Jets nrl team, but he never said he wanted the the proposed franchise to join forces with Logan, did he?

I agree the western name is stupid, as historically Ipswich has never been a western suburbs/region of Brisbane, just known as the City of Ipswich like the City of Townsville, or "West Moreton" as they are known as by government departments.

Having Ipswich as part of the name is no problem at all, it is just as inclusive as Brisbane or Gold Coast, when you think about the number of towns and cities that are reliant on Ipswich for services.

I mention the junior's district situation because its good indication of what the relationship between Ipswich and Logan is? which the answer is non-existent rugby league wise.

BDGS

Bench
No and Ipswich-Logan team won't work. it's a bit like the relationship between the Sutherland Shire and Cambelltown city in Sydney, they maybe next to each other, but the relationship is non-existent.

The big deal is that Ipswich and Logan have historically got nothing to do with each other and if they had, Ipswich and Logan would've shared a QLD Cup team by now, or have a combined junior football district among Ipswich-Logan.

The Ipswich mayor maybe spruiking about the Ipswich Jets nrl team, but he never said he wanted the the proposed franchise to join forces with Logan, did he?

I agree the western name is stupid, as historically Ipswich has never been a western suburbs/region of Brisbane, just known as the City of Ipswich like the City of Townsville, or "West Moreton" as they are known as by government departments.

Having Ipswich as part of the name is no problem at all, it is just as inclusive as Brisbane or Gold Coast, when you think about the number of towns and cities that are reliant on Ipswich for services.

I mention the junior's district situation because its good indication of what the relationship between Ipswich and Logan is? which the answer is non-existent rugby league wise.

That is a logically well constructed statement.

I'm sure it'll be dismissed by some idiot for no REAL reason at all other then it is not the ideal view for Qld Expansion.

dgsfan

Juniors
lol at your patronising appraisals of posts. You'd make a great father of an ugly baby.

andrew057

First Grade
Hey dgsfan, have you thought about volunteering your time to the Ipswich bid? Ive read Bears have a heap of volunteers working every week to help. We all know how strong their bid is now.

dgsfan

Juniors
I don't think the Bears bid is that strong. Sure they have member (how much is a bears membership anyway? $20!?), they have a stadium (capped at 20,000... a realistic average for the big teams these days. Dogs are over it and Bunnies and Tigers really close). There's one glaring downside, too many NSW teams and no backing from current CEOs. I think that'll go against the bid greatly. We'll see in time anyway.

Reds & QLD 2013!