What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Titanic

First Grade
AK you're right but there has to be an amalgamation of the Sydney clubs for all those to be involved or a promotion relegation system.

adamkungl

Immortal
AK you're right but there has to be an amalgamation of the Sydney clubs for all those to be involved or a promotion relegation system.

Pshhh nah....one big massive competition :D or some kind of conference system, everyone loves discussing converences right? :sarcasm:

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/01/10/jets-membership-drive-nrl-bid-ipswich/

Members drive to bolster NRL bid

THE Ipswich Jets’ NRL bid team will soon be calling on your support.

A membership drive will be the next step for the bid team to prove they have the support required to launch a successful NRL club.

And Jets’ bid mastermind Steve Johnson said garnering thousands of members should be relatively easy for the new venture.

Like the Gold Coast Titans and the Gold Coast Suns before them, the Jets will put a call out to the public for a formal show of support by becoming a member of the fledgling club.

It will be different to a normal club membership, which requires payment and entitles the owner to a selection of games to attend as well as merchandise.

Rather this will simply be a free sign-on to declare support.

“We will begin a membership drive after January so we have yet another piece of evidence to support our claim,” Johnson said.

“To be honest, we probably don’t have to do it like the Titans and the Suns did.

“They were required to prove they have the numbers but we have the facts which show our area has a lot more juniors than the other regions and more potential supporters.

“But a membership drive does connect you with the community and that’s very important to us as a community-based club.

“It will allow us to go to (David) Gallop (NRL chief executive officer) with more evidence as to why we should be given the nod for the next licence.”

The membership drive will be predominantly internet-based.

The Central Queensland NRL bid team, headed by millionaire Geoff Murphy, already has a membership drive underway.

It has secured 25,000 signatures.

The Jets business plan and feasibility study, compiled by veteran league administrator Brian Canavan, will be completed within a month.

_Johnsy

Referee
It will be interesting to see how many financial members they can get, and where those members are from.

adamkungl

Immortal
It will be interesting to see how many financial members they can get, and where those members are from.

Zero apparently.

It will be different to a normal club membership, which requires payment and entitles the owner to a selection of games to attend as well as merchandise.

Rather this will simply be a free sign-on to declare support.

Beowulf

Juniors
If they don't have the balls to go for financial memberships, this bid is dead in the water. What are they afraid of, that only Ipswich Jets supporters will join if they have to pay like CC and Perth are doing?

bobmar28

Bench
We could theoretically have up to a 24 team comp at some stage in the future, considering all the hopefuls:
current 16 + CC, WA, SEQLD, CQLD, Wellington, PNG. I'm also gonna throw Adelaide and Christchurch in there as potentials, even though there are no current workings to get teams in those places, they are definitely markets we should consider for the 2020s. :edit: just read that NT are looking to enter the NSW Cup. Even Darwin is a possibility! All depends on the continued growth of Rugby League I guess. Realistically for this to ever happen the player pool needs to expand. PNG, WA, and Vic need to be regularly producing NRL quality players.

I can dream...

That's good. The AFL think they own NT.

bobmar28

Bench
"The corridor around Ipswich is the fastest growing region in Australia and we need to be a part of it". David Gallop 2010.

_Johnsy

Referee
"The corridor around Ipswich is the fastest growing region in Australia and we need to be a part of it". David Gallop 2010.

Wrong according to the sources below;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/01/2941709.htm
"New figures show the far north Queensland city of Cairns is the fastest growing region in Australia"

http://blog.rpdata.com/?p=267
Ipswich ranked No.8 2008-2009.

In SE QLD they are not even in the top 2 regions according to;
http://investmentmentor.com.au/news-commentary/in-the-news/australias-fastest-growing-region/

Apparently Melbourne's western edge is the biggest;
http://www.kpmg.com/AU/en/IssuesAnd...lease-melbournes-western-edge-7-Sep-2010.aspx

7 September 2010 - It’s official. The fastest growing region in Australia is no longer the Gold Coast but the Western edge of Melbourne, finds KPMG research.
The analysis by KPMG demographer, Bernard Salt, shows that the municipalities of Wyndham and Melton added 18,000 new residents over the 12 months to June 2009, as compared with 17,000 added to the Gold Coast.

Who would have thought that some posters are relying on selective quotes to try and bolster the strength of Ipswich's bid. Facts indicate otherwise. Ipswich is one of the faster growing regions, but certainly not the fastest according to the sources above.

The person in charge of the bid isn't even asking for financial members. The reality is $$$ will dictate the successfull bids.

Not having a single financial member would not be filling me with confidence.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Leigh

I somewhat agree,

If the franchise is not financially secure, it wont help their bid, if the franchise is financially secure it will go along way to helping their bid. Why would the NRL admit a franchise that is any chance to be a financial headcase.

TV $$ is not the ole indicator IMO.

applesauce

Bench
Leigh

I somewhat agree,

If the franchise is not financially secure, it wont help their bid, if the franchise is financially secure it will go along way to helping their bid. Why would the NRL admit a franchise that is any chance to be a financial headcase.

TV $$ is not the ole indicator IMO.

It's about a long-long term additon to the competition. It is = extra millions over 5years then the NRL have more money to help the bids out off the field or if they are secure and give us the extra TV $$ then that is a bonus. SEQLD is RL heartland I don't think they will be in too much trouble just the CC will be fine if they are admitted.

The AFL have plenty of TV money and are going to be giving it the GWS (which will be a black hole). But it will "help" their long term TV deals and eventually the game. There is no reason the NRL cannot do something similar if need be (off the field).

If any bid out of the 4 is "finically insecure" it is Perth due to the new market entry (and the only one without millionaire backing). But that doesn't affect it's importance on the NRL (as IMO it needs to be the first bid in).

christopher

Juniors
If they don't have the balls to go for financial memberships, this bid is dead in the water. What are they afraid of, that only Ipswich Jets supporters will join if they have to pay like CC and Perth are doing?

Just to clarify...

the CQ bid is doing the exact same. Internet based memberships. They have 25,000. They are free. Titans and Suns did the same. Of course once they are given a licence they will ask for financial memberships.

Who would pay to be a member fo a club which has no merchandise, or games to attend?

They will start this initiative in the next two months.

adamkungl

Immortal
Bears have merchandise...thousands paying to get behind a club that doesn't even exist yet is impressive, imagine when they actually do have games to attend.

christopher

Juniors
exactly... the Bears have merchandise to sell.

I am sure when the Jets get a name for the club, they will create merchandise and probably offer it in bundles as part of a pseudo membership pack.

To be fair, the central coast bid has far greater ingrained support. It has an established fan base, the Jets only have a potential fan base but one that is larger than the Bears.

If you're Gallop its a tough choice. Certainly the Jets bid, as Steve Johnson has admitted is not nearly as advanced as the CQ and Central Coast. But looking at the market, its similar to the AFL's position on GWS. You simply have to forge a presense in the areas where the most families are moving to and in SEQ that is the western corridor.

Beowulf

Juniors
And in NSW, most families are moving to the Central Coast. Lots of similarities between western brisbane and Central Coast (demographically) - I think both areas deserve a team, but Central Coast is so far ahead they should come in first and western brisbane when they get up to Central Coast's level.

Talons

Juniors
And in NSW, most families are moving to the Central Coast. Lots of similarities between western brisbane and Central Coast (demographically) - I think both areas deserve a team, but Central Coast is so far ahead they should come in first and western brisbane when they get up to Central Coast's level.

Just wondering where you managed to attain the stats for N.S.W growth because i thought the Richmond-Tweed region was leading the way outside of (SD) Sydney Districts.

Beowulf

Juniors
Just wondering where you managed to attain the stats for N.S.W growth because i thought the Richmond-Tweed region was leading the way outside of (SD) Sydney Districts.

Just googled the topic and I admit its hard to clarify where is the fastest - depends if you're looking at over past year, 5 years, 10 years etc!

Looks like the following have claims as fast/fastest growth in NSW!
Camden
Albury
Blacktown
Hunter
Central Coast
Richmond-Tweed

So I'll make a claim that the central Coast is ONE of the fastest growing regions in NSW!

Latest posts