What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You've summed it up nicely there.

The situation I would not like to see, and one that Quidgybo has alluded to is having two clubs representing the west and north of SEQ, having to compete with the Broncos. How could they? Brisbane have such a huge market presence that it would make it extremely difficult for them to compete.

My suggestion is for a bid that could have as large a market presence as the Broncos currently do, rather than two smaller clubs covering those areas. Ideally this would result in a situation where you have two clubs of equal size and strength playing out of Suncorp Stadium on alternating weeks. Rugby League in the region would never look back. Again, we can go back to the example of Manchester for inspiration.

If by chance,a Sydney club decides to move to Sunshine Coast then that would be great. But that is another discussion altogether.

Basically boils down to being the best way to add more teams without cutting into the Broncos market share.
The satellite teams cover more area and don't directly eat away at the Broncos support. It'd add to the competition's support base, whereas a 2nd Brisbane cbd team would be directly competing for fans with the Broncos without necessarily opening up their own market.

The satellite teams would never be as strong as the Broncos but in saying that, it's very unlikely that a 2nd Brisbane cbd team would ever over-take the Broncos in the popularity stakes. This is not necessarily a bad thing though, the Broncos are market leaders and it'd be silly to cut into their success.

The idea of using Lang Park every weekend is something that appeals to a lot of people, including myself, but Gallop has said he specifically wants a team representing the Western SEQ corridor and the only team bidding for a license in SEQ if from Ipswich...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im very against having anything related to religion associated with our sport. Religion polarises people and only bad things can happen from that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Broncos, Cowboys and Titans all exist in the NFL. If we were placing bets I'd be looking at the other 29 team names in the NFL and narrowing it down... ie: Jets, Chargers, Colts, etc.

Can't imagine a new team using a name like Brothers which has a religious affiliation, it'd be marketing suicide.

Yep for exactly same reason, in a National comp you should only use a compass point if you are actually at that point in the country or you have the city as well as the georgraphic area eg South Sydney

Excuse my ignorance but what has Brothers and leprechorns got to do with each other? Is Brothers some sort of irish link and if so why would it mean anything to someone in Sth-West Q'land?

South-western Queensland is a very different place to western SEQ, where the Jets plan to draw support from.

birdsvilletown.jpg

darlingdownsfiveplex.jpg

smithie

Juniors
The Broncos, Cowboys and Titans all exist in the NFL. If we were placing bets I'd be looking at the other 29 team names in the NFL and narrowing it down... ie: Jets, Chargers, Colts, etc.

I like Brisbane Chargers.

Jets is associated with Ipswich which people outside of Ipswich won't support. The name shouldn't be linked with a current or former QRL/BRL team. Must be a new identity that any non-Broncos fans can support. It's like saying "Why were the Titans created, just promote the Burleigh Bears"

Colts is too close to Broncos, don't really want to see another "Buck" running around Suncorp.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Jets is associated with Ipswich which people outside of Ipswich won't support. The name shouldn't be linked with a current or former QRL/BRL team. Must be a new identity that any non-Broncos fans can support. It's like saying "Why were the Titans created, just promote the Burleigh Bears"

Colts is too close to Broncos, don't really want to see another "Buck" running around Suncorp.

I wonder if the old Captain Charger suit is still around in a warehouse somewhere?

I'm really keen on Jets tbh. The timing with the expansion of Amberley into the RAAF's superbase and the arrival of the new F35's couldn't be better planned imo.

applesauce

Bench
Brothers might of previously had a religious undertone but now not so much. I wouldn't think it would be the bane of the club.

macavity

Referee
Basically boils down to being the best way to add more teams without cutting into the Broncos market share.

Cutting the Bronco's ill-gotten market share is one of the core reasons to introduce another Brisbane club.

Not suggesting committed Broncos will jump ship, but any fair minded person would hope that a lot of the "nominal" fans would get behind the new team.

South Brisbane Giants - just to piss off the AFL.

bobmar28

Bench
They talked about it in 2009 but nothing came from it. I'd prefer Eastern Suburbs (or the more nationally relevant version: East Sydney) but "Bondi" is still a thousand times better than "Sydney".

Any nickname would be better than Roosters.

bobmar28

Bench
for a WESTERN australia team?
Western doesn't describe what part of the country the team is from, unless of course you are from WA! Fine when it was a one city suburban comp but as an evolving national comp Brisbane or Queensland has to be in title imo.

Wests Tigers doesn't describe what part of the country that team is from.
And what about the western bulldogs in Melbourne?

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
the mroe I think about it the more the Fremantle- Eagles scenario is exactly the same as the Ipswich- Brisbane one. Fremantle has a pop of less than 250K, play in Perth not Fremantle, faced the challenge of moving in on a powerhouse existing club, chose an area name not a generic Perth or WA. They have managed to do it ina city of smaller size so why wouldn't Ipswich be able to?

I'm sure they would.

bobmar28

Bench
I agree but disagree at the same time. I think in a national competition you should just throw away the compass altogether. Every name of every club should state exactly where they are from with few exceptions. I think mergers would be my only exception.

But it does cause some problems, West Coast Eagles (west coast of?) there are plenty of other examples. Btw does anybody else think the name "West Coast Eagles" sounds american?

Are you referring to the Philadelphia Eagles?

bobmar28

Bench

How do you know that? Have you asked them?