What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
Are you referring to the Philadelphia Eagles?

No, just the way it sounds. Say it "West coast" itself sounds very american in terms of sport and "Eagles" well how more american can you get? "West Coast Eagles" sounds very yankie doodle if you ask me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
that's because we really want to become part of California ! :) I guess given the whole of the West Coast is WA then it is quite a good descriptor of the area the team belongs to.

re Wests etc yes it isn;t a good descriptor of your club in a NATIONAL competition. But as both comps grew out of State comps they are historical and not likely to change. Doesn;t mean any new team coming into a NATIONAL comp should even consider it unless they actually are from that Geographical point of the country.

BDGS

Bench
that's because we really want to become part of California ! :) I guess given the whole of the West Coast is WA then it is quite a good descriptor of the area the team belongs to.

re Wests etc yes it isn;t a good descriptor of your club in a NATIONAL competition. But as both comps grew out of State comps they are historical and not likely to change. Doesn;t mean any new team coming into a NATIONAL comp should even consider it unless they actually are from that Geographical point of the country.

I would say even then, e.g Western Reds was not a good name, while it is correct in terms of the compass in the middle of the country i don't think it represents the area well. Unlike the WA Reds. There is no getting that team wrong, you can not get confused as to where they are from.

I showed one of the girl i know the logo and Jersey of the Western Force, she does not know much about Union so i thought she was innocent enough to give an adequate and unbiased view upon that team. When i asked 'where do you think this team comes from?' she said Western Sydney because of the blue which equals NSW and the name 'western'. So to others that don't follow our sport the name 'western reds' could bring the same/similar problems. But when the WA reds win their first premiership everybody will know exactly where they come from and the area they represent.

adamkungl

Immortal
I never liked the name Wests Tigers. 'Wests' was always a colloquial term for Western Suburbs, having it as the official name for the merger always seemed odd. Sort of lacks professionalism or something.

BDGS

Bench
I never liked the name Wests Tigers. 'Wests' was always a colloquial term for Western Suburbs, having it as the official name for the merger always seemed odd. Sort of lacks professionalism or something.

What would you prefer?

Western Sydney Tigers?
Western Suburbs Tigers?
Western Tigers?

smithie

Juniors
How do you know that? Have you asked them?

And I guess you have?

Having lived in Brisbane for over a decade there are two things I know. There are more people that hate the Broncos than support them in Brisbane and nobody likes or wants to go to Ipswich unless they live there. But I guess someone that lives in Western Sydney would know better.

I find it funny that you use the New York Jets logo as your avatar. The New York model used for the NFL is exactly what the NRL should do with Brisbane. Two teams (NY Jets & NY Giants) that represent one large populated area and play out of the same magnificent stadium.

Von

Juniors
And I guess you have?

Having lived in Brisbane for over a decade there are two things I know. There are more people that hate the Broncos than support them in Brisbane and nobody likes or wants to go to Ipswich unless they live there. But I guess someone that lives in Western Sydney would know better.

I find it funny that you use the New York Jets logo as your avatar. The New York model used for the NFL is exactly what the NRL should do with Brisbane. Two teams (NY Jets & NY Giants) that represent one large populated area and play out of the same magnificent stadium.

Totally agree Smithie with Brisbane II, not Ipswich. Brisbane needs another team. The number of Bronco haters in Brisbane would get right behind them. Suncorp is the best rugby league ground in the country and should be used once a week.

Also agree on the NY Jets/Giants example. Other examples have been Chicago Cubs/White Sox, LA Rams/LA Raiders, LA Lakers/Clippers, Melbourne Victory/Heart.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe the compromise is to be called the Brisbane Jets, play out of suncorp but with a very strong presence/ link to that Ipswich corridor ie base the clubs admin and training grounds out there, links to the QRL clubs out there etc?

Loudstrat

Coach
What's this sudden crap about training in an area to represent them and then playing somewhere else? Are people as shallow as AFL thinks?

If that works, put the Leagues club in Shanghai and they'd have 1 billion supporters :crazy:

applesauce

Bench
Maybe the compromise is to be called the Brisbane Jets, play out of suncorp but with a very strong presence/ link to that Ipswich corridor ie base the clubs admin and training grounds out there, links to the QRL clubs out there etc?

Would be a perfect compromise to everyones arguments of for and against.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Agree.

only negative is there are so many western Sydney teams.
There are even more Sydney teams...didn't stop you blokes from calling yourself "Sydney".

As for the Tigers. "West Sydney Tigers" sounds a lot better, a lot more professional. They could still call themselves "Wests" as a nickname but that shouldn't be the official name. Like us and South Sydney/Souths.

Loudstrat

Coach
There are even more Sydney teams...didn't stop you blokes from calling yourself "Sydney".

As for the Tigers. "West Sydney Tigers" sounds a lot better, a lot more professional. They could still call themselves "Wests" as a nickname but that shouldn't be the official name. Like us and South Sydney/Souths.

Rubbish. Works ok for Wagga Kangaroos

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's this sudden crap about training in an area to represent them and then playing somewhere else? Are people as shallow as AFL thinks?

If that works, put the Leagues club in Shanghai and they'd have 1 billion supporters :crazy:

frick if they would get 1 billion supporters I'd put the whole NRL there!:crazy:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
^^
Western Suburbs Tigers?

Cutting the Bronco's ill-gotten market share is one of the core reasons to introduce another Brisbane club.

Not suggesting committed Broncos will jump ship, but any fair minded person would hope that a lot of the "nominal" fans would get behind the new team.

South Brisbane Giants - just to piss off the AFL.

We can't rewrite history, what's done is done, etc. We have to use the Broncos position as an advantage, like we try to do with the over-saturation of clubs in Sydney.

Adding another team to directly compete with the Broncos without necessarily opening up a new area might not be the best thing for the game or competition.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I think that's the plan for them until they get their own stadium built out in Ipswich.

Who knows, if they get enough member/fan feedback they might put off the move and continue playing out of Lang Park for longer than they originally intended.

Quidgybo

Bench
A lot depends on where the NRL is heading in ten years time and how many teams are seen as optimal for the comp.
Ten years is way too short a timescale to be considering. We need to be thinking about where the comp and the markets are going to be in thirty or fifty years. Sure the Sunshine Coast might be borderline on whether it could support a team today, the same way the Gold Coast was fifteen years ago. But where will it be in thirty years and what sort of market support will our teams need to flourish in thirty years? As you point out the Gold Coast is now big enough to support a team regardless of whether it is 100km or 1000km from Brisbane. The same will one day be true of the Sunshine Coast and we should be factoring that now into our long term planning.

What we don't want to do is repeat the historical mistakes of the development of the club distribution in Sydney. For example a team based in Cronulla looked like a great idea in 1967 to further tap into the large market in southern Sydney and bring St George back to the pack. But thirty years later in an era where clubs need to turnover $15m to $20m to compete and need to suck substantial corporate backing and paying supporters from a radius of 100 to 200 km, basing another team in southern Sydney no longer looks like such a great long term move.

Even with the regional hub plan, there'll of course be natural overlap of corporate and fan bases. But at least each club will have a market in its own right capable of guaranteeing its long term corporate and fan support (again regardless of whether the separation is 100km or 1000km). What we don't want is to end up like we are in so many parts of Sydney where the rapidly rising cost of competeing in the big league is starting to outstrip the market's ability to support multiple teams on each other's doorstep. This has led and will lead to much pain as clubs are forced to merge, relocate, die or be ejected.

Rather than place another team right on an existing team's doorstep in Brisbane city and then find in fifty years (when it takes $100m annual turnover to support a club) that one of these teams needs to merge, relocate, die or be ejected, I think the much better strategy is to ensure each new team has its own market that will be able to support it long term as both grow. The only place that the difference between the 100km and 1000km proximity comes into it is the bonus that while we're ensuring these teams have their own market to support them long term, we're also able to leverage their proximity to Brisbane to provide some more top quality blockbuster games at the fantastic lake... ummm stadium that is Suncorp.

Leigh

Last edited: