What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

bobmar28

Bench
It would be unfair to deny QLD a fourth NRL team simply because they have been devastated by a flood. The flood....and the clean up will be long forgotten by the time 2013 rolls around.

smithie

Juniors
It would be unfair to deny QLD a fourth NRL team simply because they have been devastated by a flood. The flood....and the clean up will be long forgotten by the time 2013 rolls around.

As long as it's a second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp. I don't see the QLD Government paying for any new stadiums for some time now. It can't be justified.

Perth Red

Post Whore
SQ Spartans sounds good, could keep the Ipswich Jets colouras a s the link

images

racist_mascot.jpg

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
weird name, weird logo. What has crushers and trains got to do with each other?

Because if you leave things on a train track, they get crushed???

haha

wasnt there a kids song about peanuts on a train track, a train coming, then crushhh ...peanut butter? ahahah

i dont think the logo was that bad

Beowulf

Juniors

Like it was unfair for the Central Coast Bears when construction of their stadium was halted due to once in 30 year rain at Gosford, and the NSW Govt requisitioned the constructors (Abi Group) to work on Olympic projects iso the stadium?

Fairness has nothing to do with life or business.

You need to get at the back of the queue in the 'fairness stakes' behind the Bears and Reds.

BDGS

Bench

Other teams have been hit unfairly by the weather in the past, even the sharks can say their low crowd figures over the past few years was due to poor weather.

Facts are this is business and if something can not be ready by 2013, which it was struggling to do before the floods, and another organisation can have the exact same thing ready by that time frame then you go with that other organisation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have heard on the grapevine that a decision on calling for submissions will not be made until later in the year with a decision unlikely before season end. Wonder if that will push back start up dates by a year?

I am not surprised as the NRL has always said that they will not decide on expansion until they have a clear picture of what the next TV deal will be. That is unlikely to happen for at least another 6-9 months.

Von

Juniors
As long as it's a second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp. I don't see the QLD Government paying for any new stadiums for some time now. It can't be justified.
Agree, we need a second BRISBANE team playing out of Suncorp. I don't think the population of Ipswich alone can support a team, and certainly the Qld govt has more to deal with over the next few years than building another sports stadium.

Forgotten by 2013?!! The clean up will take many months but more importantly the rebuilding will go on for many years and cost billions of $$$.

I have heard on the grapevine that a decision on calling for submissions will not be made until later in the year with a decision unlikely before season end. Wonder if that will push back start up dates by a year?

I am not surprised as the NRL has always said that they will not decide on expansion until they have a clear picture of what the next TV deal will be. That is unlikely to happen for at least another 6-9 months.

Good point. We are all talking (and hoping) on here that we will expand in 2013. There is certainly no guarentee of that.

dgsfan

Juniors
Expansion being pushed back is GREAT news for the QLD bids and terrible news for the Bears bid.

BDGS

Bench
Expansion being pushed back is GREAT news for the QLD bids and terrible news for the Bears bid.

where is your source?

This is not news, the talk of expansion being pushed back is coming from one poster. Just because it helps out your stupid opinion does not make it news.

Quidgybo

Bench
It doesn't take Einstein to work out that the longer it takes the Commission to be put in place the less progress will be made on the television deal that would fund expansion. And it also doesn't take Einstein to work out that until the probable size of the next deal starts to solidify as a result of those negotiations, and until the wishes of the likely broadcast partners for the size of comp and location of any new teams for which they are willing to pay the most money becomes clear, no firm decision on expansion or bids will be made. The longer it takes to get the Commission in place (given it's arguably 6 to 12 months behind at this point) the later the decision on expansion and the less likely it'll be able to be done for 2013.

Leigh.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
Um I don't need a source, mate. My opinion. If it's true that expansion does get pushed back it will only benefit the QLD bids and will be awful news for the Bears bid. End of story, matey.

BDGS

Bench
Um I don't need a source, mate. My opinion. If it's true that expansion does get pushed back it will only benefit the QLD bids and will be awful news for the Bears bid. End of story, matey.

I'm assuming that you are talking to me, of course this is only a guess because of your lack of being able to hit the quote button to show who you are replying too.

The Central Coast NRL bid will be put forward to the NRL this year and the Bears are all but a done deal pushing the expansion year (which again is just pure speculation that came from one poster on this site) at this point will not hurt the Bears at all. No matter what happens the best bids will be selected and the Bears is one of the two best bid. Case closed.

Depends who you talk to when talking about the TV deal i have heard from people inside the NRL that have said the negotiating has already started even with the IC been put together. Now while this is probably wrong i could claim this as news according to they way you called that other thing 'GREAT news".

Also worth a note, this is the ipswich bid thread yet there is no talk about the ipswich bid. There is an obvious reason for that and that has nothing to with floods.
And most of the talk in this thread is about the Central Coast NRL bid, there is an obvious reason for that also.

However Good luck over the next few months and years rebuilding Ipswich.

Once again i am not your mate.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Depends who you talk to when talking about the TV deal i have heard from people inside the NRL that have said the negotiating has already started even with the IC been put together.
Of course it's started. Gallop has said that himself. But no matter how early it starts, the negotiations can only proceed so far until the Commission is in in place because ultimately the Commission will decide what the game is willing to accept or not accept. When they come in they could take one look at what Gallop's been working on and say, nope we want four FTA matches instead of the status quo of three that negotiations have proceeded on to date. Gallop can gauge what's out there, what the networks want, and what they will pay for, but until the Commission is in place to provide guidance on what they want no firm deal can really start to be developed.

Leigh.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
It doesn't take Einstein to work out that the longer it takes the Commission to be put in place the less progress will be made on the television deal that would fund expansion. And it also doesn't take Einstein to work out that until the probable size of the next deal starts to solidify as a result of those negotiations, and until the wishes of the likely broadcast partners for the size of comp and location of any new teams for which they are willing to pay the most money becomes clear, no firm decision on expansion or bids will be made. The longer it takes to get the Commission in place (given it's arguably 6 to 12 months behind at this point) the later the decision on expansion and the less likely it'll be able to be done for 2013.

Leigh.

Very smart post.

BDGS

Bench
Of course it's started. Gallop has said that himself. But no matter how early it starts, the negotiations can only proceed so far until the Commission is in in place because ultimately the Commission will decide what the game is willing to accept or not accept. When they come in they could take one look at what Gallop's been working on to date and say, nope we want four FTA matches instead of the status quo of three that negotiations have proceed on to date. Gallop can gauge what's out there, what the networks want and what they will pay for but until the Commission is in place to provide direction no firm deal can really start to be developed.

Leigh.

What i have heard is that is far past the starting point, i.e. the deal total figures almost settled out already. Policies that the networks will have to follow etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if the TV deal is finalized not long after the IC is put in charge, it'll also make it look like the IC is making big decision well and quickly for the betterment of the game.