What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Quidgybo

Bench
I bow to the better knowledge of your source. But equally I put as much faith in it as I do Perth Red's source. Time will tell. In the meantime I sit back and look at the logic of the situation which simply states that the later the Commission is in place, the later the TV deal is finalised, the latter expansion is decided, and the less likely it'll happen for 2013. None of that is rocket science nor indeed a particularly controversial assessment of the situation, no?

Leigh

BDGS

Bench
I bow to the better knowledge of your source. But equally I put as much faith in it as I do Perth Red's source. Time will tell. In the meantime I sit back and look at the logic of the situation which simply states that the later the Commission is in place, the later the TV deal is finalised, the latter expansion is decided, and the less likely it'll happen for 2013. None of that is rocket science nor indeed a particularly controversial assessment of the situation, no?

Leigh

It makes sense, time will tell. we have to look at everything with open minds and take everything on its merits and not try to get certain people's ideals or emotions get in the way of what is the best way forward for Rugby League.

5100+ financial members
2 stadiums
major sponsors
local business sponsors
merchandise
community initiatives
land for center of excellence

in the mean time I've been out cleaning my folks home near Ipswich. No one gives sh*t about this bid. Question, where is the bid team during these hard times? No one is helping out Ipswich except the Titans. If there was ever a better time to engage and help their community, it'd be now. Instead the bid team hides.

Perth Red

Post Whore
5100+ financial members
2 stadiums
major sponsors
local business sponsors
merchandise
community initiatives
land for center of excellence

in the mean time I've been out cleaning my folks home near Ipswich. No one gives sh*t about this bid. Question, where is the bid team during these hard times? No one is helping out Ipswich except the Titans. If there was ever a better time to engage and help their community, it'd be now. Instead the bid team hides.

Also where are the fans getting behind the bid? Bears have 5k+ members, Reds have members plus a supporters group starting up, where are the fans in Q'land championing a new team? That for me is the worrying part, there doesn't seem to be a ground swell of fans that are jumping on the exciting idea of having an NRL team to follow.

BDGS

Bench
Also where are the fans getting behind the bid? Bears have 5k+ members, Reds have members plus a supporters group starting up, where are the fans in Q'land championing a new team? That for me is the worrying part, there doesn't seem to be a ground swell of fans that are jumping on the exciting idea of having an NRL team to follow.

Especially on the back of the NRL supporting new teams/club that support their own community and are active within those communities.

Perth Red

Post Whore
where is your source?

This is not news, the talk of expansion being pushed back is coming from one poster. Just because it helps out your stupid opinion does not make it news.

This is a direct quote from the WA Reds Newsletter:

"It is expected that the announcement and request for a national team in the expanded NRL competition will be forthcoming in the next few months with the announcement in the third quarter of the year."

BDGS

Bench

"It is expected that the announcement and request for a national team in the expanded NRL competition will be forthcoming in the next few months with the announcement in the third quarter of the year."

Yep saw that newsletter, going by that its been pushed back a few months and not a year or so. Announcing the two new teams at the end of this year will give them ample time to be ready for 2013.

Let them get the bid together first and for the dickhead that mentioned no support as he is cleaning up his parents house get a f**king life. Dont you think people have better things to worry about at the moment in a couple of months time im sure their focus may have shifted.

Or red and black are you that scared that you need to talk down a potentional bid in a time of crisis for the city of ipswich.

You just proved how much of a wanker you truely are.

Beowulf

Juniors
Um I don't need a source, mate. My opinion. If it's true that expansion does get pushed back it will only benefit the QLD bids and will be awful news for the Bears bid. End of story, matey.

And how is 2014 better for QLD - neither bid area would be ready to field a team by 2014. All delaying a decision for 6 months and entry by 1 year will mean is that the only two bidders selling memberships, ie Bears and Reds, can increase their membership totals. By say Nov, the Bears will be heading towards 10,000 and the Reds towards 5,000. Given some NRL teams don't even have 5,000 members, it would be nigh on impossible for the NRL to reject those bids. Or is a free petition with 30,000 signatures including Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse going to win over the hard-nosed finance dept at the NRL! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Beowulf

Juniors

The Bears team are under the impression a decision will be made end of August if a 2013 start gets the green light, in order for contract negotiations to commence immediately with players in teams that don't make the semi's. The winning bid will probably get a few weeks prior notice in order to prepare staff/press releases etc etc when the announcement is made. Any time after the GF and it will have to be 2014.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Maybe they've got better things to do right now then attract 'members'. Or maybe they've decided to muck in in the clean up work without feeling the need to blow their own trumpet about the merits of their bid at every opportunity.

Do you realise that the reason you engage with the community is because you care about the community, not because it is a means to get what you want?

I've often admired your fanatical passion for the bears but this a ridiculous opportunistic post.

Beowulf

Juniors
Let them get the bid together first and for the dickhead that mentioned no support as he is cleaning up his parents house get a f**king life. Dont you think people have better things to worry about at the moment in a couple of months time im sure their focus may have shifted.

Or red and black are you that scared that you need to talk down a potentional bid in a time of crisis for the city of ipswich.

Take a walk in this mans shoes for a day before insulting him. At present, football comes second.

BDGS

Bench
Maybe they've got better things to do right now then attract 'members'. Or maybe they've decided to muck in in the clean up work without feeling the need to blow their own trumpet about the merits of their bid at every opportunity.

Do you realise that the reason you engage with the community is because you care about the community, not because it is a means to get what you want?

I've often admired your fanatical passion for the bears but this a ridiculous opportunistic post.

There are a lot of maybe's here and no facts, again.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There are a lot of maybe's here and no facts, again.
Exactly. Because like your mate's post it was pure speculation. Ever heard of using a patronising tone to illustrate a point?

And of all people to talk about facts you should be the last to step up. All you've got is heresay from people purportedly 'inside' the CC bid or the NRL. People, that conveniently, you can't name. Laughable.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Latest Odds for the next team to enter the NRL-
WA Reds- $1.25
Central Coast Bears - $1.35
Ipswich Jets - $2.00
Central Queensland- $2.00
PNG - $1000.00

jim_57

Staff member
And how is 2014 better for QLD - neither bid area would be ready to field a team by 2014. All delaying a decision for 6 months and entry by 1 year will mean is that the only two bidders selling memberships, ie Bears and Reds, can increase their membership totals. By say Nov, the Bears will be heading towards 10,000 and the Reds towards 5,000. Given some NRL teams don't even have 5,000 members, it would be nigh on impossible for the NRL to reject those bids. Or is a free petition with 30,000 signatures including Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse going to win over the hard-nosed finance dept at the NRL! Thanks for the laugh!!!

What evidence do you have that a second QLD side couldn't be ready by 2013 (let alone '14)? Pre-bid membership is but one aspect of the bids. One of the things I hope the NRL doesn't do is make a short sighted decision where they admit a team that is better at the current time but could be surpassed within a couple years by another. Not saying this will be the case, from an outsider's point of view though (I'm a supporter of the Red's bid but undecided on the others) it looks as though some CCB bid supporters are taking a stance of "put us in, before they get better than us".

Since the floods have hit I think this bid should definatley shift it's attentions to being more of a "second Brisbane" club, or if the Jets are unwilling to compromise being a through and through Ipswich team then another bid to be based in South Brisbane and play out of Suncorp for the foreseable future.

I was strongly of the opinion they should be calling themselves South Brisbane and targetting anti-Broncos RL supporters in Brisbane anyway. They could be based in Springfield and target most of their community work and juniors from Logan to Ipswich and play out of Suncorp Stadium. This will have to be the way it goes now if they want to get in in 2013 IMO, a new stadium in Ipswich would be fairly low on the agenda for some time now, and they have a World class stadium down the road. When the population boom is 5-10 years down the track they could look at getting a new stadium built and moving most games to the western corridor, it certainly isn't necessary though IMO.

If the Jets bid team doesn't want a bar of this then it might just be a lost cause for 2013, if so bring on the South Brisbane/Brisbane Brothers or Diehards in 2017 :D.

dgsfan

Juniors
Exactly. Because like your mate's post it was pure speculation. Ever heard of using a patronising tone to illustrate a point?

And of all people to talk about facts you should be the last to step up. All you've got is heresay from people purportedly 'inside' the CC bid or the NRL. People, that conveniently, you can't name. Laughable.

Haha! Classic.

You're an idiot. Firstly I've been around Ipswich for a long time and my folks have lived near ippy since 89. Secondly, if a bid team wants to engage a community then help the community out when it needs it and I guarantee you that the community will repay them.

Thirdly I've been working my arse off since Thursday cleaning up Brisbane and Ipswich, along side locals and along side people whom like myself and family lost almost everything in this flood. Fourthly, I've been a member of the jets qrl team since 2003 and have no qualms with them. Fifthly, people came
up to me and decided to talk footy not the other way around.

Sixly, you aren't a local and you obviously don't know sh*t. You sit on your chair on the net claiming to know the go but you don't. Seventhly, I made the effort to ask about the jets bid. Have you?

8thly, give yourself an uppercut and hope you never go through what I, my family and friends an communities have gone through last week.

Talking down? No. I saw titans, broncos, lions, roar all helping out. I even saw qrl players helping out. No one from the jets bid lives in Ipswich. No one from their bid helped. I guarantee you had this happened on the cc, florimo would be the first person helping out their community.