What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
I'm all for a 2nd NZ team. Think it would be a great shot in the arm for NZ rugby league.

And what does that have to do with this thread?

I can't be critical of how well the Bears bid is coming along members wise but I am getting sick of Bears fans comparing their figures to NRL clubs. The majority of NRL club memberships cost hundreds of dollars. The majority of the Bears memberships cost between $20-$50.

From what i hear the majority are being sold around the $80 mark but i get your point.

Also wasn't that a Daily telegraph comparison not a Bears fan comparison?

applesauce

Bench
From what i hear the majority are being sold around the $80 mark but i get your point.

This is just 1 example but there have been plenty over the last 6 months, I am not going to go looking for them:

siv said:
Lets put those numbers into perpective

Souths 15,500+ memberships and 9988 ticketed

CC Bears 5180+ memberships

Beowulf

Juniors
I can't be critical of how well the Bears bid is coming along members wise but I am getting sick of Bears fans comparing their figures to NRL clubs. The majority of NRL club memberships cost hundreds of dollars. The majority of the Bears memberships cost between $20-$50.

The Bears have to set target benchmarks to push themselves and members to join up. We don't have a team so we have to keep striving. It's not a contest against anyone and not belittling anyone but the Bears must present a bid with the highest number of members possible or face extinction, so the stakes are high. As you know, the NRL have stressed the importance of member numbers. All NRL clubs have intro memberships and thats all we can offer. In fact its much less, as they have a Club, we are jsut a dream at present. Most fans are waiting back till the bid is approved and they can buy game memberships as you say.

The projections, which have been seen by the NRL and have passed muster, are that the membership total will roughly double in the year after approval with the exotic types we can offer. So if we have say 7000 or 8000 by August, we should have 15000 or so by mid-late 2012.

For example, a 3 game membership at Bluetongue, a Bluetongue only membership, a Bluetongue + nth Sydney membership, a 3 game Bluetongue + Nth Sydney, a Nth Sydney plus select away games in Sydney membership etc etc. Something for all the fans rather than just a donation. 65 of the 5180 are foundation memberships at $5500 however, which is incredible.

Beowulf

Juniors
This is just 1 example but there have been plenty over the last 6 months, I am not going to go looking for them:

Sorry, someone asked a question and I had what I thought was the answer he/she wanted. I wasn't rubbing numbers in anyones face if thats what you mean.........but now you mention it, that Bears figure is damn impressive!

I think he wants a breakdown of where the memberships are sold or where the members live.

sorry, maybe i should have clarified

earlier red and black bear said the majority of the memberships were $80.00 and not the $10-$20 memberships, when i asked whether the people who are paying the $10-$20 memberships now are going to be willing to pay,possibly a couple of hundred dollars for ticketed memberships, wich is where a clubs bread and butter come from

i wanted to know where he got his info from

adamkungl

Immortal
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

In New Zealand sport, IT DOESN'T GET BIGGER THAN AUCKLAND V CANTERBURY
(The province that Christchurch is part of)

If we had the Warriors revert to being named Auckland wearing Blue, Black & white... and a Christchurch side in their traditional Red & Black (maybe with white to distinguish from the Bears) you'd have a classic NZ derby right there.

Methinks it sounds more appealing than Wellington. Mind you, both in the long term.

He means relocate the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks to Brisbane.

Yes, he's a twit.

jim_57

Staff member
Firstly the Broncos are not the only team in QLD and Brisbane is not the only place in QLD, therefore every Queensland club comes into the equation. The cowboys crowds have been poor due to poor performance you say? well in that case the Sharks crowds have been fantastic considering their poor form. The Bulldogs in season 2010 were very poor compared to where they were expected to finish and still after the home and away season averaged the most fans to home games then any other Sydney club and were 2nd overall. Performance has little to do with it.

You can't be serious?

1. Do you expect many of the casuals and fans from afar (Mackay, Cairns etc) to travel 3hours+ to watch a wooden spoon team.
2. The Sharks reference is ridiculous, they perfromed better than the cowboys yet got worse crowds in a larger catchment area.
3. Bulldogs are boosted by big local rivalries early in the season and the DH at suncorp. Still a good effort regardless, but you're kidding if you don't think they would have been quite alot higher had the bulldgos run higher on the ladder.

Just a quick comparison:

(Finish position) Year - Crowd average:

Cowboys
(5) 2005 - 20,590
(9) 2006 - 19,681
(3) 2007 - 19,747
(15) 2008 - 18,102
(12) 2009 - 17,339
(15) 2010 - 14,340

Sharks
(7) 2005 - 16,281? (Source may be wrong on this one)
(13) 2006 - 12,488
(11) 2007 - 11,471
(3) 2008 - 12,965
(15) 2009 - 11,364
(14) 2010 - 10,551

Bulldogs
(12) 2005 - 18,286
(2) 2006 - 18,041
(6) 2007 - 16,488
(16) 2008 - 15,352
(2) 2009 - 22,608
(13) 2010 - 20,670

Alot of variables but still pretty plain to see IMO.

Yes but they are only team in Brisbane, the area where the Ipswich Jets bid is based around, the fact they easily top the crowd count in a city half filled with people that hate them must say something.

And what does that have to do with this thread??

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
They may be cheaper on average, but they still mean money people are willing to spend on a team that isn't even in the NRL. Yes other clubs memberships are more expensive, but they have the minor detail of an actual NRL club to market. So I think it balances out in the end and makes for a decent comparison.

jim_57

Staff member
Methinks it sounds more appealing than Wellington. Mind you, both in the long term.

Yes, he's a twit.

Would there be a possibility of a club that play is based in Christchurch but also plays 4 regular season games out of Wellington? It sounds and looks good from an outsiders point if view, any NZ based posters that could comment on the viablility of such a team?

Bro Bear

Juniors
Says you.

No the comments came from a NRL employee

Regarding the Independent Commission, the ongoing policy direction and the day-to-day management of the game will be the responsibility of the eight commissioners and the NRL management team, not the NRL clubs. The clubs will not be able to overturn a decision.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Would there be a possibility of a club that play is based in Christchurch but also plays 4 regular season games out of Wellington? It sounds and looks good from an outsiders point if view, any NZ based posters that could comment on the viablility of such a team?
Although I'm not a Kiwi, they are on different islands and more than 400kms away from each other. So it's not like St George and Illawarra.

BDGS

Bench
Yes, with the Rabbitohs having a strong first grade squad and extra reserves contracted to them, that should help the Bears case in the NSW Cup, plus the South Sydney players from the NYC coming up into reserve grade AND the Norths should experience less injuries this year then last. So all signs looking up for them for 2011 NSW Cup.