What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BuffaloRules

Coach
The 16 NRL clubs will only have any sort of power if they vote in numbers, two teams against the Central Coast NRL bid will not do anything to harm that bid. Especially seeming that it may be only one team against the Central Coast bid shortly.

I dont think you have anonymous sources in every team, so you have no idea what the other clubs will do.

Quidgybo

Bench
The Commission will be eight people who once in place will choose their own replacements going forward. The only formal power the clubs will have is the power to remove a commissioner if 14 out of 16 clubs back the move. And the only real power the QLD and NSWRL will have is the power to block changes to the constitution that enshrines that relationship. Day to day management will remain with the NRL executive led by the CEO, but all major decisions and strategic directives will be made by the Commission without recourse to the clubs or NSWRL and QRL. That includes television contracts and expansion.

Leigh

Smiley

Bench
Thats good for you and good work there, but to be honest an NRL club can not survive with all their members being loyal and higher members of another NRL club.

I could be wrong but isn't that the Ipswich Jets QLD Cup team, not the Ipswich NRL bid team?

Nope, just going off history.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/14/ipswich-jets-in-nrl-bid-jets-plan-nrl-bid/

THE battle has officially begun. The Ipswich Jets football club has formed a bid team which is creating a business plan to pitch the city as the region most deserving of an NRL club.

Jets board chairman and the owner of a large law firm, Steven Johnson, will helm the bid team after he met with NRL boss David Gallop earlier this month.
You'd think with all your inside sources you would have known this.

Quidgybo

Bench
The clubs havent even decided that they want expansion yet...
The clubs can "decide" whatever they like. It is nothing more than a recommendation because ultimately it isn't their decision to make, it's the Commission's. And as I just pointed out in my last post the only real power the clubs have is to remove a Commissioner if 14 out of 16 back such a move. They have no power to decide the question of expansion.

Leigh

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...eclaration-of-independence-20100117-meew.html

HOW THE PROPOSED MODEL FOR AN INDEPENDENT COMMISSION WORKS

News Ltd and the ARL to give up their 50 per cent stakes in the NRL.

Eight independent commissioners elected by the clubs to run the game.

Each commissioner requires 75 per cent support to be appointed.

Commissioners could not hold positions with clubs or any other body within the game.

The NSWRL and QRL will continue to manage State of Origin teams and competitions in their states.

The ARL to be disbanded but may live on as the name of the new body overseeing the premiership.

An NRL-style management team to run the elite competition, with David Gallop mooted as CEO.

The commission to be responsible for distributing funding to all areas of the game.

It seems to me that the clubs are going to have a lot of say in how the IC will be run....

BDGS

Bench
The Commission will be eight people who once in place will choose their own replacements going forward. The only formal power the clubs will have is the power to remove a commissioner if 14 out of 16 clubs back the move. And the only real power the QLD and NSWRL will have is the power to block changes to the constitution that enshrines that relationship. Day to day management will remain with the NRL executive led by the CEO, but all major decisions and strategic directives will be made by the Commission without recourse to the clubs or NSWRL and QRL. That includes television contracts and expansion.

Leigh

There you have it guys, thanks for that post Leigh.

'

The clubs havent even decided that they want expansion yet...

At the last meeting Expansion was put forward to the NRL clubs. The clubs said the best time for expansion would be 2015.

When the options were put forward to them there were two clubs against Ipswich, two against the Bears and one against the WA Reds.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/14/ipswich-jets-in-nrl-bid-jets-plan-nrl-bid/

You'd think with all your inside sources you would have known this.

Is that some kind of crack?

Now i don't know about you but i would of thought that things would have changed since way back in August of last year. There should be two groups of people (even if they are linked) one lot running the QLD cup and one lot running the Bid. If there is not a separate group running the bid then they are further behind then i thought.

The Central Coast Bears and the North Sydney Bears are two different organisations, as are the CCDRL another organisation.

get the drift?

KiamaSaint

Coach
Is there is any reason why the Western Reds, Central Coast Bears and the South Queensland Sharks can't all be included in a expanded 2013 competition?

Beowulf

Juniors
Is there is any reason why the Western Reds, Central Coast Bears and the South Queensland Sharks can't all be included in a expanded 2013 competition?

No reason at all other than David Gallop has said he's not in favour of relocations, particularly to heartland areas. The theory being its hard for a new area to bond with a grafted team with no local history (e.g it took the Swans 20+ years to be accepted and there not even a heartland), and the damage done to the original area from the loss of a team. I think the only way relocation would go ahead is if a team volunteered to do it for financial inducements, but they'd need to be in dire financial distress to even consider it.

I doubt it, but the IC may have a totally different view.

BDGS

Bench
So you think these things will be mutually exclusive??

Please...

depends on what you mean by that, but i have every faith and no reason to question that after the positions are filled the clubs will have no say apart from what Leigh has previously stated.

Quidgybo

Bench
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...eclaration-of-independence-20100117-meew.html

It seems to me that the clubs are going to have a lot of say in how the IC will be run....

You're about eight months behind quoting that proposal.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...itch-grab-for-vote-rights-20100806-11oju.html

Sydney Morning Herald said:
● News Ltd and ARL to hand over to Independent Commission on November 1

● New body comprises eight commissioners, with no ties to clubs, leagues or News Ltd for 3 years.

● Inaugaral commissioners appointed by News Ltd and ARL.

● Commissioners then to choose replacements after term expires.

● Clubs and NSWRL/QRL cannot appoint commissioners, only remove them.

● 14 of 26 votes (one each for 16 clubs, NSWRL, QRL and 8 commissioners) to sack a commissioner.

● NSWRL and QRL can block any constitutional change by voting together.

I recommend reading the full article as it more clearly explains the reasoning behind the structure. I am not aware of any contradictory or more detailed summary of the working or final proposals that has been published in the media since.

Leigh

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
OK, thanks for clearing that up...

It appears that this is still to be sorted out officially though...

Is it proposed that Gallop in his role of CEO be one of the 8 comissioners?

Quidgybo

Bench
OK, thanks for clearing that up...

It appears that this is still to be sorted out officially though...
The deal is done. The NSWRL and QRL have officially passed a final constitution thru the ARL, and the ARL have officially agreed the final constitution with News. The only thing left is to choose the first eight Commissioners and do the formal handover.

As I said, nothing that has been published since contradicts the details of the proposal laid out in that article. And every indication has been that the proposal as it stood at that time is largely what persisted through to the final agreement.

Is it proposed that Gallop in his role of CEO be one of the 8 comissioners?
Never at any stage has that been suggested by any official or media publication. In fact in the original white paper presented by News to the ARL on the 7th of December 2009, it was explicitly stated the CEO would not have a vote on the Commission.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2009/12/08/1225808/419135-dt-file-nrl-restructure-outline.pdf

Leigh

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for...

The Courier Mail did run a poll mid-1010 with the question "Would you support another side in Brisbane'. 58% said yes. Note this was a SEQ only poll.

News Ltd publications have done a few polls in the past 2 years asking 'Do you support a Central Coast Bears entry'. This went across the East Coast but mainly NSW and QLD responses (more NSW obviously but I dont have exact %). 82% said yes. Previous one was 80% or 81%.

If you asked SEQ if they wanted the Jets model iso a broader appeal 2nd side, that % would drop. If NSW people, even a small % were to vote, it would drop again.

I would be confident if you polled the RL viewing TV audience across Australia, say 55% NSW, 35% QLD, 10% rest of Australia, you would find support for the Central Coast significantly higher than that for a Jets bid. That's not to belittle a 2nd QLD bid, just pointing out that outside the Ipswich bubble, a Jets bid has limited appeal.

i think you will find, that the polls asked would you support a central coast team.......big difference there buddy.....if i am wrong dish up the humble pie, but i dont think i am

Latest posts