What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

flippikat

Bench
Would there be a possibility of a club that play is based in Christchurch but also plays 4 regular season games out of Wellington? It sounds and looks good from an outsiders point if view, any NZ based posters that could comment on the viablility of such a team?

I think it's probably the most workable solution.

Assuming the team is based at AMI Stadium (formerly Lancaster Park), there's a lot less scheduling difficulty then with the Wellington Stadium.

Sure, both venues host about the same amount of Rugby & Cricket, but Wellington's stadium also has the Phoenix, rock concerts, the Sevens, and a fair number of trade shows.

Admittedly, a lot of these extra events are over the summer.. but there's some overlap when you look at feb-april..

The Phoenix seem to do pretty well when they take the odd game on the road to Christchurch, so there's no reason why a Christchurch NRL team couldn't play in Wellington (or Hamilton, or the new covered stadium in Dunedin..) now and then.

KiamaSaint

Coach
He means relocate the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks to Brisbane.

Yep, that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion Pig Champion, and the "South Queensland Tiger-Sharks", I love it Doc, we could have an extra NZ side in as well.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Oh, one more thing... as a long time NRL fan I would love to see the Bears come back into the comp. It seems to me that they were trying to do the right thing by relocating when so many other teams were burying their heads in the sand and they were punished simply because bad weather delay their Stadium on the Coast being completed.

BDGS

Bench
Oh, one more thing... as a long time NRL fan I would love to see the Bears come back into the comp. It seems to me that they were trying to do the right thing by relocating when so many other teams were burying their heads in the sand and they were punished simply because bad weather delay their Stadium on the Coast being completed.

Agreed.

Goddo

Bench

I agree with the sentiment, and the Bears tried to do the right thing in the past, but they are still not the right choice for now. There has been too many teams in NSW since the early 80's, and the NSWRL/ARL/Super League/NRL organisations have all been acutely aware of the issue.

Bringing back one of the clubs that has been culled in this process for sentimental reasons is a very bad business decision for the ARLC to make concidering the huge potential markets available inter-state, namely Regional Queensland, Brisbane, Perth, Wellington and Christchurch; Adelaide in longer term.

This is particularily poinient concidering the competition for market share, TV deals, and sponsorships with rival sporting codes and events. The Bears bid should only be concidered seriously in the event that some form of rationalisation or redistribution of licences in NSW occurs.

The right thing to do for the good of the game in the medium term (over the next 15 years) is to

* introduce teams in Perth, Brisbane, New Zealand (Christchurch or Wellington) and regional Queensland opening up and securing huge new markets and those that have very high value in terms of TV rights negotiations,

* relocate the weakest current Sydney club based on criteria of crowds, growth prospects, history, memberships, assets and liabilities (this would be Cronulla) to Adelaide, or replace this club with the Bears (imo the only reasonable circumstance that NSW gets a new club)

* develop a long term growth stratergy around getting greater market penetration into New Zealand, SA, Vic, Tas & WA while maintaining current % market share NSW & Qld.

If you just glance at the issue of expansion, emotively most people support the Bears initially. As soon as you start to think a little deeper about the implications of such a decision you will see it is a very poor medium to long term decision to bring them back.

BDGS

Bench
I agree with the sentiment, and the Bears tried to do the right thing in the past, but they are still not the right choice for now. There has been too many teams in NSW since the early 80's, and the NSWRL/ARL/Super League/NRL organisations have all been acutely aware of the issue.

Bringing back one of the clubs that has been culled in this process for sentimental reasons is a very bad business decision for the ARLC to make concidering the huge potential markets available inter-state, namely Regional Queensland, Brisbane, Perth, Wellington and Christchurch; Adelaide in longer term.

This is particularily poinient concidering the competition for market share, TV deals, and sponsorships with rival sporting codes and events. The Bears bid should only be concidered seriously in the event that some form of rationalisation or redistribution of licences in NSW occurs.

The right thing to do for the good of the game in the medium term (over the next 15 years) is to

* introduce teams in Perth, Brisbane, New Zealand (Christchurch or Wellington) and regional Queensland opening up and securing huge new markets and those that have very high value in terms of TV rights negotiations,

* relocate the weakest current Sydney club based on criteria of crowds, growth prospects, history, memberships, assets and liabilities (this would be Cronulla) to Adelaide, or replace this club with the Bears (imo the only reasonable circumstance that NSW gets a new club)

* develop a long term growth stratergy around getting greater market penetration into New Zealand, SA, Vic, Tas & WA while maintaining current % market share NSW & Qld.

If you just glance at the issue of expansion, emotively most people support the Bears initially. As soon as you start to think a little deeper about the implications of such a decision you will see it is a very poor medium to long term decision to bring them back.

I was the opposite, when i first heard about the bears bid 2 years ago, i said straight away "won't happen, there is too many NSW teams, overall it won't do anything but let us enjoy some 'good feel' story in the initial years." The NRL started to change its tone on Expansion and the NRL kept mentioning the Bears, i looked further into it and saw the light so to say, the Bears will be one of the strongest NRL clubs in NSW.

smithie

Juniors

:clap: standing ovation :clap:

If only there were more people that care about the game as a whole and not their own self interests.

Beowulf

Juniors
:clap: standing ovation :clap:

If only there were more people that care about the game as a whole and not their own self interests.

There are - the NRL. They are the only ones who know all the facts. Hence the endorsement of the Bears bid is quite telling.

jim_57

Staff member

A good read, the baseless, constant Bears cheerleading was getting well over the top, especially for an Ipswich bid thread.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
A good read, the baseless, constant Bears cheerleading was getting well over the top, especially for an Ipswich bid thread.

I agree, a good read if it was written two years ago. Unfortunately for you lot things have changed and the NRL's attitude has changed also, doesn't take Einstein to work that out.

Beowulf

Juniors

And there's no Ipswich baiting of the Bears on the Bears thread, is there! All that wasted energy that could have been spent doing what the Bears, CQLD and WA Reds have been doing.....working hard on a bid. But its just so much easier to critise and try (unsuccesfully) to tear others down than to do any real work like the Bears volunteers have been doing every week for over a year now, unpaid.

The Gen Y handout mentality doesn't cut it in the real world. Ipswich won't get a team just because it would be 'nice' if Brisbane had more teams.

BDGS

Bench

Perfect post! Agree completely.

You called this a perfect post despite the fact that it doesn't flow? The first comma should be a full stop.

A good read. The baseless, constant Bears cheerleading was getting well over the top, especially for an Ipswich bid thread.

Now that makes sense, its wrong information but makes sense now.

You truly are an idiot on all levels dgsfan.

Btw Jim, this is not an attack on grammar on an internet forum. We all gets lazy with forums, just an attack on the idiot calling something perfect that clearly isn't. Nothing in the world is perfect anyway, but thats another story.

applesauce

Bench
I have a question for any Bears bid supporters. I try to stay neutral in most bid topics and point out positives/negatives to any bid so I am not having a go but...

If the TV networks have a say or at least some influence by saying how big X TV deal will be compared to Y, do you think that the regional CC TV market is worth more or less than a capital city of Brisbane or Christchurch (Perth should be in in any scenario)?

BDGS

Bench
I have a question for any Bears bid supporters. I try to stay neutral in most bid topics and point out positives/negatives to any bid so I am not having a go but...

If the TV networks have a say or at least some influence by saying how big X TV deal will be compared to Y, do you think that the regional CC TV market is worth more or less than a capital city of Brisbane or Christchurch (Perth should be in in any scenario)?

Christchurch aren't even bidding.

North Sydney plus Central Coast TV market would be about the same size as the possible Ipswich market. imo.

applesauce

Bench
Christchurch aren't even bidding.

North Sydney plus Central Coast TV market would be about the same size as the possible Ipswich market. imo.

I don't know what everyone fatuation is with actual bids... :crazy:

Do you honestly think that if 10 were to say "We will give you an extra $30million/year if you have a team in X" and that location is not where a bid is the NRL and suitable people could not make it happen in 2years?

The AFL did it with the GC and GWS, if you have the money it is possible (their choice of location on the other hand...).

BTW Ipswich isn't on the regional stations they get 9 so they get prime time capital city advertising... Not WIN "cheaper" regional ads.

There would also be a larger interest from Brisbane with the use of Suncorp each week (so it would not be missing out on front of mind with a larger market) but the Jets bid would be stupid to use Ipswich unless it was with Logan, but they will probably settle with a "western" kind of name and engage western Brisbane so you point is moot.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I don't know what everyone fatuation is with actual bids... :crazy:

Do you honestly think that if 10 were to say "We will give you an extra $30million/year if you have a team in X" and that location is not where a bid is the NRL and suitable people could not make it happen in 2years?

The AFL did it with the GC and GWS, if you have the money it is possible (their choice of location on the other hand...).

BTW Ipswich isn't on the regional stations they get 9 so they get prime time capital city advertising... Not WIN "cheaper" regional ads.

There would also be a larger interest from Brisbane with the use of Suncorp each week (so it would not be missing out on front of mind with a larger market) but the Jets bid would be stupid to use Ipswich unless it was with Logan, but they will probably settle with a "western" kind of name and engage western Brisbane so you point is moot.

The NRL won't make the mistake of just placing teams down in new areas that don't want them like the AFL while ignoring other areas that want them unless the TV deal will be somehting like $2 billion.