What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You called this a perfect post despite the fact that it doesn't flow? The first comma should be a full stop.

A good read. The baseless, constant Bears cheerleading was getting well over the top, especially for an Ipswich bid thread.

Now that makes sense, its wrong information but makes sense now.

You truly are an idiot on all levels dgsfan.

Btw Jim, this is not an attack on grammar on an internet forum. We all gets lazy with forums, just an attack on the idiot calling something perfect that clearly isn't. Nothing in the world is perfect anyway, but thats another story.

There is nothing wrong with this grammar. A comma to give a pause before accentuating his point is perfectly legitimate. A full stop at that juncture would have decreased the flow of the response causing the main thrust of his statement to be ambiguous. Keep trying though BDGS, you'll grasp English soon enough .,.,.,.,.

and the dribble continues.................. Thank god bdgs, beowulf will have no say in the future of the nrl.

Up the jets.

Did you miss the 5000 memberships sold? Did you miss the sponsorships from prime, win, mortage house, fortunity? Did you miss the huge leg up that couriermail/dt/hs gave to the ccbears today? Did you miss the fact we have equity?

Get off the cones sunshine. Your arguements keep getting crushed by facts. For every notion of dislike you have, the ccbears keep gaining support and fans. Real support too.. From the communities to the corporate sectors to financial.. Not made up support from 4 ninja turtle superfriends on a forum.

Goddo

Bench
I don't know what everyone fatuation is with actual bids... :crazy:

Do you honestly think that if 10 were to say "We will give you an extra $30million/year if you have a team in X" and that location is not where a bid is the NRL and suitable people could not make it happen in 2years?

The AFL did it with the GC and GWS, if you have the money it is possible (their choice of location on the other hand...).

BTW Ipswich isn't on the regional stations they get 9 so they get prime time capital city advertising... Not WIN "cheaper" regional ads.

There would also be a larger interest from Brisbane with the use of Suncorp each week (so it would not be missing out on front of mind with a larger market) but the Jets bid would be stupid to use Ipswich unless it was with Logan, but they will probably settle with a "western" kind of name and engage western Brisbane so you point is moot.

You have touched on one of the things Bears fans seem to just ignore if you bring up. Namely, it doesn't matter how good the bid is, the PRIMARY concern in regards to expansion is LOCATION and its impact on TV RIGHTS. Of course there is a cost vs benefit concideration in this, but essentially its that simple.

Yes, the Bears have a fairly established bid, but in a poor location for TV rights when compared to every other bid or location promoted as having expansion potential.

So long as the Brisbane/Ipswich bid has its basic structure and financial set up sorted, and a plan for stadium use, it will be ready with a 2 year lead in if given the nod. They are working through the structual and legal issues right now at the Jets, and Central Queensland are already sorted, as are Perth.

Bears fans like to point out the flaws of other bids, but don't seem to grasp how inconsequential most of their argument about other bids being deficient because "the details aren't filled in" is. Club colours and logos are fairly easy to sort with two years lead in, the Bears will have the same concerns signing players as every other bid, sponsors will be found once a licence is awarded. The Bears have already done these things, but comparitively, they are the easy bits. Just ask the GC Suns or GWS Giants.

The core deficiency in the CC as a location remains.

And for all the guff and chest beating comming from the Bears camp, I am still yet to see a logical arguement against the location TV rights money case that every other bid makes.

applesauce

Bench
The NRL won't make the mistake of just placing teams down in new areas that don't want them like the AFL while ignoring other areas that want them unless the TV deal will be somehting like $2 billion.

You are drawing a very long bow comparing what RL is to Christchurch & Outer Brisbane and what AFL is to WS & the GC. :roll:

An extra 20-30mill/year means 1.1-1.66mill in the salary cap each year for 18clubs. I wouldn't sneeze at that. Hypothetically if an offer like that is on the table for the NRL they would be stupid not to take it.

EDIT: I will also point out how important the bragging rights of the TV deals will be, AFL V NRL, and the TV networks approval of expansion locations (via extra $$) could be the difference to having one up on the AFL or being their whipping boys for the next 5years.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
There is nothing wrong with this grammar. A comma to give a pause before accentuating his point is perfectly legitimate. A full stop at that juncture would have decreased the flow of the response causing the main thrust of his statement to be ambiguous. Keep trying though BDGS, you'll grasp English soon enough .,.,.,.,.

Haha. BDGS gets owned again! Priceless.

Did you miss the 5000 memberships sold? Did you miss the sponsorships from prime, win, mortage house, fortunity? Did you miss the huge leg up that couriermail/dt/hs gave to the ccbears today? Did you miss the fact we have equity?

Get off the cones sunshine. Your arguements keep getting crushed by facts. For every notion of dislike you have, the ccbears keep gaining support and fans. Real support too.. From the communities to the corporate sectors to financial.. Not made up support from 4 ninja turtle superfriends on a forum.

guess you missed the part where you dont have a team

bdgs, red@black bear, beowulf who is the fourth. wow the courier mail. mate you should put down the cones since that is your response to anyone that has a different opinion to you. Like i have said before admire your passion but if the nrl brings back the bears it would be the worst business decision they have made since the last tv right. The people you are putting your faith in arent very good business men, yes men not business men. And who is splinter????? How much money have those companies put in or have they just pledged sponsorship to get some free advertising, will they actually turn up if you get in?

Should the cc have a team sure, but not before wa, another seq, nz2 or adelaide. If a nsw side falls over, fine bring in the bears. But the people you are talking to will have very little say in what happens when the bids are actually called for.

so put down the crack pipe big fella its doing you no good

BDGS

Bench

Lol i work with the English language for my pay.

A comma can be used to join two sentences of similar subject together or to add something to that existing sentence. However, having three or more commas in one particular sentence (while grammar not sound but good enough) does not read well or look good in print.

If i wrote that sentence in for one of the businesses i work for in that style i would probably get fired on the spot.

Too many comma per sentence is juvenile.

Unfortunately you have failed to realise the topic at hand (like so much other stuff you fail to realise, and that my friend is the sentence in question is not 'perfect', not by a long shot.

BDGS

Bench
You are drawing a very long bow comparing what RL is to Christchurch & Outer Brisbane and what AFL is to WS & the GC. :roll:

An extra 20-30mill/year means 1.1-1.66mill in the salary cap each year for 18clubs. I wouldn't sneeze at that. Hypothetically if an offer like that is on the table for the NRL they would be stupid not to take it.

EDIT: I will also point out how important the bragging rights of the TV deals will be, AFL V NRL, and the TV networks approval of expansion locations (via extra $$) could be the difference to having one up on the AFL or being their whipping boys for the next 5years.

ahh refreshing, a poster that doesn't agree with me and uses logic to get his point across.

Imo it would take a lot more then $20-30 million to just place teams where ever TV networks want them.

The NRL has a few things up on the AFL as is, i'm not getting tied into who is going to get a bigger TV deal.

The AFL will beat the NRL TV deal slightly in this round while the next TV deal should swing around and put the NRL higher fairly easily, as long as the sporting market doesn't change to drastically.

However you do raise some good points, i'm sure those points will be covered during the TV signing process as well as expansion decisions.

BDGS

Bench
[/B]

guess you missed the part where you dont have a team

bdgs, red@black bear, beowulf who is the fourth. wow the courier mail. mate you should put down the cones since that is your response to anyone that has a different opinion to you. Like i have said before admire your passion but if the nrl brings back the bears it would be the worst business decision they have made since the last tv right. The people you are putting your faith in arent very good business men, yes men not business men. And who is splinter????? How much money have those companies put in or have they just pledged sponsorship to get some free advertising, will they actually turn up if you get in?

Should the cc have a team sure, but not before wa, another seq, nz2 or adelaide. If a nsw side falls over, fine bring in the bears. But the people you are talking to will have very little say in what happens when the bids are actually called for.

so put down the crack pipe big fella its doing you no good

haha alrighty, think about about it this way for a second.

News limited are writing quite a few article on Expansion, most of which imply or come to the result that the WA Reds and the Central Coast will be the next lot of teams into the NRL.

New limited and ARL are leaving the running of the game up to the IC, last time News Limited had to make a decision this big was when the Super League ended and the two competitions at the time merged.

Throughout that process of drastic changes one of News limited's conditions of change was the Melbourne Storm coming into the League. While they won't have control over the new teams that come into the NRL, News being the biggest media outlet in the world, wouldn't surprise me if they turn around and say the condition for getting a higher TV deal then the AFL is having the Bears back with the Reds.

While this is way out there, it is not as far out there that you have gone kiddo.

BDGS

Bench
Oh golly BDGS has taken quite a hammering today, more than usual.

Geez, those straws are getting shorter.

I can't wait until the two new teams are announced and the Central Coast and WA get back their teams so i can laugh in your face just like i laughed in the face of those against the GC Titans and before that bring Souths back.

jim_57

Staff member
Lol i work with the English language for my pay.

A comma can be used to join two sentences of similar subject together or to add something to that existing sentence. However, having three or more commas in one particular sentence (while grammar not sound but good enough) does not read well or look good in print.

If i wrote that sentence in for one of the businesses i work for in that style i would probably get fired on the spot.

Unfortunately you have failed to realise the topic at hand (like so much other stuff you fail to realise, and that my friend is the sentence in question is not 'perfect', not by a long shot.

1. I'm not getting paid to post on a forum.
2. It was a quick iPhone job
3. I'm sure he was basing his "perfect" assesment on the content, not the grammar.

Beowulf

Juniors
Christchurch aren't even bidding.

North Sydney plus Central Coast TV market would be about the same size as the possible Ipswich market. imo.

Plus the Bears were the 2nd most watched team in the 1990's on FTA TV, with broad interest in NSW, QLD & NZ. For many following the NSWRL comp, the Bears were a second team because:
a - they generally weren't a threat in the 70's and 80's!
b - they hated Manly and everyone supported anyone that hated Manly
c - strong Kiwi following through Fred Ah Koi, Olsen Filipana, Mark Graham and Darryl Halligan
d - strong QLD following through any number of QLD greats of the 80's and 90's.
e - reputation as a traditional, honourable community club

Despite that, I wouldn't say the Bears would have more TV pull than a second Brisbane side would have, but I think slightly more than an Ipswich Jets side would.

dgsfan

Juniors
3. I'm sure he was basing his "perfect" assesment on the content, not the grammar.

Exactly. I'm not a f**king primary school teacher. I'm not here to comment on anyone's grammar like other sad people on this forum.

Up the Jets!

dgsfan

Juniors
Plus the Bears were the 2nd most watched team in the 1990's on FTA TV, with broad interest in NSW, QLD & NZ. For many following the NSWRL comp, the Bears were a second team because:
a - they generally weren't a threat in the 70's and 80's!
b - they hated Manly and everyone supported anyone that hated Manly
c - strong Kiwi following through Fred Ah Koi, Olsen Filipana, Mark Graham and Darryl Halligan
d - strong QLD following through any number of QLD greats of the 80's and 90's.
e - reputation as a traditional, honourable community club

Despite that, I wouldn't say the Bears would have more TV pull than a second Brisbane side would have, but I think slightly more than an Ipswich Jets side would.

Source?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lol i work with the English language for my pay...
Then the country is in trouble.

A comma can be used to join two sentences of similar subject together or to add something to that existing sentence. However, having three or more commas in one particular sentence (while grammar not sound but good enough) does not read well or look good in print..
Atrocious grammar. If you're going to be a pendant at least live up to the expectations that you thrust upon others.
If i wrote that sentence in for one of the businesses i work for in that style i would probably get fired on the spot..
Out of a cannon? We can only hope.
Lol. Are you sure you get paid for your work in English? Or butchering it?
Unfortunately you have failed to realise the topic at hand (like so much other stuff you fail to realise, and that my friend is the sentence in question is not 'perfect', not by a long shot
He said nothing about a perfect sentence, he said it was a perfect post. As there is no definition of a perfect post he has every right to offer his opinion on what he believes is a perfect post.

I don't like pulling apart other's posts for grammar but if you're going to be a grammar Nazi yourself then I will.

BDGS

Bench

1. My original post on this highlighted the fact that I wasn't having a go at your grammar on a forum site.

2. Good, because so is this post.

3. Ahhh you see there lies the problem, if something is perfect it has to be without fault, you can't just say 'apart from that it's perfect' because by very definition you just admitted it wasn't in fact perfect.

BDGS

Bench
Then the country is in trouble.

Atrocious grammar. If you're going to be a pendant at least live up to the expectations that you thrust upon others.

Out of a cannon? We can only hope.

Lol. Are you sure you get paid for your work in English? Or butchering it?
He said nothing about a perfect sentence, he said it was a perfect post. As there is no definition of a perfect post he has every right to offer his opinion on what he believes is a perfect post.

I don't like pulling apart other's posts for grammar but if you're going to be a grammar Nazi yourself then I will.

Three things, I never claimed I was posting perfect posts, unlike the guy that dubbed something as perfect.

And yes out of a cannon, and by very definition a perfect post would have perfect grammar. I wasn't calling the guy who made the post up on his grammar I was calling the idiot that called something a perfect post when it clearly wasn't.

None of my post are perfect either!