What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

mightybears

Bench
So you stopped watching NRL? What a fan.

Your fundamental misunderstandings of Rugby League culture continue to amaze.

Of course i stopped watching, i'm a North Sydney fan, why on earth would i continue to watch a comp that helped kill the only team that voluntarily moved from Sydney off its own back?.

Its my damn team, what interest would i have in NRL level football, doesn't mean that when in Sydney i didn't see NSW Cup, or watch Qld Cup up here. I haven't turned on an NRL match or been to one obviously since the year of the great disaster and won't do so until a team in red and black called the Bears plays in the NRL

Do you have an oztam box?

No, hence my inverted commas!

mightybears

Bench
So then be content with the Bears NSW Cup side.

why should i, why shouldn't i want my team back in the top flight?

It shows Bears fans to be fickle. What happens when they don't make the finals or win a premiership for decades and decades? Will they shaft the league like they have previously done?

FFS, see previous posts re 'culture'.

What happens when we don't make the finals or win a premiership? We continue to turn up and wait for the day, we have been continuing to do so since 1923.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
It shows Bears fans to be fickle. What happens when they don't make the finals or win a premiership for decades and decades? Will they shaft the league like they have previously done?

And ultimately we are the least fickle fans precisely becuase we have decades of 'sucking'. The last person to see the top flight grand final winning North Sydney Bears is dead, the last player died when Mr dodgy handshake Herman Peters kicked it [i think].

We are loyal, real rugby league fans, our deal with the 'comp' was that we were in the comp, we certainly hadn't won it any time recently. Us out destroyed the nexus, no connection existed with the so called NRL. It seriously broke hearts, it made lots of people very angry, very sad, betrayed.

You fail to understand that after the Judas's were removed, the truths came out as to vested interests-our goal forever and a day will be our re-entry to were we should never have left from.

That some here go over the top is not a big deal to me because it demonstrates the NSDRLFC passion. That passion is backed by a damn good bid, a wonderful history of pain and misery with occasional glorious highs, a stadium ready to roll, membership over 5000 plus for a team that does not play as yet. Money, sponsorship and a real culture that always did, and soon will again enrich the top flight.

BDGS

Bench
Who cares PR, i don't think there has been any Ipswich news since the opening few pages of this thread.

_Johnsy

Referee
But - by introducing a 4th QLD team and by featuring 2 QLD teams in 2 out of the 4 games they would have 22% of the NRL teams, 50% representation and 50% out of the total F2A airtime.

So you are advocating that Brisbane/QLD receive a 50% share of all FTA games, 4 out of 18 teams receiving 50% FTA coverage. FMD you cannot be serious.

If we are fair dinkum about giving all clubs an equal opportunity to boost sponsorship etc, via FTA exposure the only equitable solution is the following;

18 teams, 26 rounds (based on current schedule) 24 games each with 4 (as proposed earlier 2 f Fri night & 2 Sunday) FTA timeslots = 5.3 FTA games each, essentially 5 FTA games per team per year.

A possible new schedule based on 9 games per weekend (excluding bye rounds)
2 x Friday night,
2 Saturday afternoon & 2 Saturday Night,
2 Sunday afternoon games,
1 Monday night

5 timelsots, 24 games = 4.8 in each timeslot. Each team receives a minimum of;
4 x Friday night games
4 x Saturday afternoon games, 4 x Saturday night games
4 Sunday afternoon games
4 x Monday night games.

4 floating games TBA.

This is the best way to ensure equity for every team, the system we have had for many years favours a handful of teams at the remaining teams expense.

But let me guess Brisbane/QLD teams & viewers deserve 50% of all FTA games, right ?

mightybears

Bench
Mate I can see the benefits of the Bears back (I signed up for a membership myself), how amazing their bid is right now and how much passion the fans have for a team that isn't around yet but...

I am sick of the Bears fans here:
a) thinking they are a shoe-in/deserve the spot more than others (despite the injustices, life is full of them) it doesn't equal a ticket back, it is about what is best for the code.
b) Bears fans either magically re-appearing if the the bid is successful or threatening their support for the code (which for most is currently 0, so the NRL effective lose/gain nothing without the Bears).
c) Bears fans comparing memberships averaging around $80 to current NRL memberships worth hundreds.

And frankly as someone who originally loved the idea I am becoming less supportive each day.

The advertising revenue that the TV networks make from sport in general come from capital cities. This is partly why the AFL can justify it's TV deal.

Have a look at the outlay of the spending in advertising and you will see why a 4th metro QLD team is worth sooooo much more!

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

Its a forum for voicing ideas/opinions/rants, our bid is the best currently out there and the code needs our culture, 'franchise' mentality needs to regularily kicked hard in the balls.

A large minority of Norths fans walked away from the NRL completely, some became casual watches, some resurfaced and supported other teams [and nearly all of them will come back i'd think too, hello Barry O'Farrell!]

No one here seriously thinks we should get back purely because we are 'owed'/the events of the great disaster. We'll get back because we are the best all up bid and thats the only reason we should.

Membership is membership, i understand your point but if you haven't got games to go to, its not a great surprise that the average cost per membership is lower than most. Membership drives for us now is about demonstrating numbers, we designed the packages for that reason. We looked at what was on offer at other NRL, Super 15 and AFL clubs in the cheaper category of 'fan' but not match attendant for the obvious reason.

The T shirt, the stickers, the wrist band, the members emails type packages are priced on par with those of other clubs. The really expensive [i'm a rich old Norths fan/corporate leader and want us back] membership packages have been taken up by those in that demography/category, no surprise that they aren't the majority.

mightybears

Bench
Isn't this an Ipswich thread?

It is Perth Red, but it continues to be where certainly people bag off the 'other' bid and/or make seriously stupid points about Bears fan/the bid and therefore needs to be responded to where it is said.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Mightybears

The quote you used of Applesauces. The same could be said of those pushing the Ipswich/2nd Brissy team barrow.

We are in QLD/Brisbane so we should get another side, what's good for the goose, is good for the........well it just makes some of them look like hypocrites.

mightybears

Bench
Mightybears

The quote you used of Applesauces. The same could be said of those pushing the Ipswich/2nd Brissy team barrow.

We are in QLD/Brisbane so we should get another side, what's good for the goose, is good for the........well it just makes some of them look like hypocrites.

true Johnsy, a few here have an axe to grind and are blinkered idiots, a few well know that nearly anything that can be applied to bid A applies to bid B and will ignore what they choose, and some are too dumb to realise!

Beowulf

Juniors
Wow talk about coincidence. Funny you say that because I just come across something very interesting!

Was on FB looking to see if the Jets had a page up yet like the Bears and Reds. I typed in "NRL Bid" to see what came up and.......

The FB page was started 10days ago, but in the info it says the actual consortium started up in September 2010. I imagine with the whole NEWS negotiations over the IC they would have to keep low profile otherwise risk NEWS wanting another veto on a Brisbane team like in SL to protect the Broncos.

This could put a spanner in the works for the Jets and Bears.

http://bnenrlbid.com.au/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane-NRL-Expansion-Bid/171001092942602?v=info

Loving the marketing already though "Battle for Brisbane". Would be a great local derby.

Not sure how its bad for the Bears- if its not a hoax or stalled bid, it will mean 2 Brisbane bids scrambling to cannibalise each other for corporate support in a region ravaged by floods in a State economy that will be raising taxes heavily to pay off its debts for many years to come. NRL bids from recent history take 2-3 years to form. If indeed they've been going since Sept, they won't be ready till 2012 or so to put a formal bid. To-ing and fro-ing with the NRL takes time until they are satisfied.

Perhaps this is a long term play, designed to scupper Ipswich in the short term so the SEQ field is clear for a 2018 bid? Will be interesting to see it unfold. If they are a genuine Brisbane alternative to the Broncos and develop community support, they'll have support from all across the RL community.

It's certainly curtains for Ipswich's bid if true, but thats about all anyone can say until we see what materialises....

docbrown

Coach
So you are advocating that Brisbane/QLD receive a 50% share of all FTA games, 4 out of 18 teams receiving 50% FTA coverage. FMD you cannot be serious.

I am serious and don't call me FMD. :cool:

I am serious about that 50%. By going from the current 1 team in 3 games (33% airtime) to 2 teams in 4 games (50% airtime) you boost the overall numbers by a massive amount.

Keep in mind that we would be doing increasing QLD's profile by adding a brand new slot - not by taking a NSW slot away - so NSW's % airtime is guaranteed to remain at least exactly the same (around 95%). The only games that wouldn't feature NSW teams would be on the rare QLD derby games (which automatically fills the 2 QLD spots for the week anyway) and the rare televised games between Raiders/Warriors/Storm which happen once in a blue moon.

But further to this - because it's a Sunday double header back to back, because you have 2 extra spots for teams, there is still 1 more non-QLD spot to be filled!

This obviously mean that spot is open to NSW teams or those interstate teams!

For example:
Friday 7:30pm Broncos vs Tigers (live QLD on 9, live NSW on Go)
Friday 7:30pm Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs (live NSW on 9, live QLD on Go)
both repeated at 9:30pm alternately

(Note: so Friday's audience would be guaranteed to be the same as current - but if the NRL can force the F2A provider to show both games live at 7:30pm (one main, one digital) then repeat, the overall ratings for Friday would increase massively because more people are willing to tune in at 7:30pm and consequently there would be a large follow on audience for the 9:30pm games.)

Sunday 2:00pm Titans (QLD team) vs Eels (nonQLD team) (live on 9)
Sunday 4:00pm Knights vs Sea Eagles (live on 9) same as current

As now 2 additional sets of fans are tuning in for TWO GAMES and by featuring a queensland team, the ratings increase just like Fridays.

This is the best way to ensure equity for every team, the system we have had for many years favours a handful of teams at the remaining teams expense. But let me guess Brisbane/QLD teams & viewers deserve 50% of all FTA games, right ?

I don't get what you're on about. I think you have individual club representation confused with overall airtime.

Keep in mind - with 4 QLD teams, they would be 4 out of the 18 teams of the competition = 22% of the NRL would be QLD based.

If they feature as 2 out of the 8 weekly F2A teams, that means they feature get at most 25% F2A representation.

That's pretty damn fair.
At the moment the competition is 19% QLD based and they only get 17% representation.

Keep in mind that 25% will come down slightly when you take bye rounds into account.

Given that QLD is our second biggest market, I do think that them having a 3% over representation is pretty reasonable when at the moment New South Wales has has 62.5% of the NRL teams and get approximately 75% F2A teams (so NSW currently has 12.5% over representation). Under my proposal they would have about 6% maximum, most likely less when byes are taken into account as well.

So just to make it clear to everybody about why having a 4th QLD team, a 4th F2A game back to back on a Sunday and why showing 2 games simultaneously live on a Friday IS A GOOD IDEA:

1. You're guaranteed at bare minimum to keep 100% of your current audience

2. You increase your overall Friday 7:30pm audience and subsequently your 9:30pm follow on audience

3. You increase your overall Sunday audience with 2 extra sets of fans watching

4. You increase your overall Sunday audience across an additional game

5. You increase your overall Sunday audience in QLD by featuring a QLD team like on Fridays

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
To clarify even further under this system.

There'd be approximately 100 games a year on F2A = 200 opportunities for teams to feature on F2A.

On average this means each team would get 11.1 F2A games - obviously this can't happen, so some will get 1 more than the others but each could be guaranteed a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 12.

QLD would have 48 out of the 200 spots (about 24%) - i.e. so feature in about 45 out of the 100 F2A games - so each QLD team would get about 11-12 F2A games each, which is quite fair and quite close to their real representation.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
I've seen your work in the fight club. You know your ratings. For anyone to dismiss that just shows their ignorance. Well done.