What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

dgsfan

Juniors
Why wouldn't we need to boost out metros? Just because we are number 1 overall, our lagging in the metros is affecting our ad revenue, as metros ad rates are higher than regionals.

BDGS

Bench
Why wouldn't we need to boost out metros? Just because we are number 1 overall, our lagging in the metros is affecting our ad revenue, as metros ad rates are higher than regionals.

Well we are at number one overall so there isn't a NEED for it to get us to one, a want to make things better? or a want to be come number 1 in metros?

That comes into play, not a need.

docbrown

Coach
Based only on the criteria of television ratings and their effect on the game only - and assuming 4 F2A games (2 on Friday, 2 on Sunday):

Brisbane Side - boosts QLD numbers by a good 50-100% whilst guaranteed to at least maintain current NSW figures.

Central Qld Side - would do the same as a Brisbane side but obviously the Brisbane metro numbers wouldn't be as big

New Zealand - a second New Zealand team can see one home game played there everyweek and increase New Zealand interest and ratings by 75-100%, comparable basically to playing 2 Warriors games a week. Plus of course the earlier live time slot.

Perth - probably very close to New Zealand's attraction. Perth should help open up the broadcast markets outside NSW & QLD, firstly with WA, but could help have a follow on consequence in VIC, SA & TAS. I can definitely see Perth pulling in a respectable number of brand new viewers that were unable or didn't watch the game previously. Plus they also offer a later live time slot.

Central Coast - would definitely boost regional numbers and also boost numbers in North Sydney. I suspect it would also help regain a proportion of the remaining demographic that was lost after Super League and has returned yet.

One that's hard to rank:
Papua New Guinea - obviously they would have massive ratings up in PNG, bigger that QLD even. I suspect they could become people's 2nd team down here due to their underdog status. However focusing on the current Australian & New Zealand markets its very hard to judge what impact they would have but to me, I don't think that's the core strength of their bid, which instead focuses on building a cultural unity, spreading professionalism to a 3rd country and create pathways for our biggest potential talent pool.

Keep in mind that there are many other criteria to judge bids on and some that have high marks on this one I think would have low marks on others. I think I've admitted before that I'm a supporter of all the bids as they each bring something to the game. The main issue is their readiness and timing but we should be working towards a programmed timeline in order to make this competition the best that it can be.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
The Bears are not going to increase capital city ratings. Ratings in Sydney will be on par. Maybe slightly up at first but after any novelty factor wears off things will be back to normal. Ratings might increase on WIN, but we already dominate regional tv markets. Where the ratings will increase is Brisbane. By having an extra QLD to schedule means higher national metro ratings. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that.

My bold, but i'll guarantee 'ratings' increase by at least one, as i'll watch the NRL again. I'm not alone, as Bear fans are fundies.

jim_57

Staff member
So you stopped watching NRL? What a fan.

Nice 'subtle' dig, you can be a RL fan and not watch NRL, who are you to judge him for it? Look at England for example, there's a hell of alot of people that watch their local club (usually semi-pro clubs) every weekend but don't pay much attention to SL.

dgsfan

Juniors
With all this talk of doing it for the good of the NRL, I find it hypocritical of him to now come forward and say he hasn't even been supporting the comp.

applesauce

Bench
My bold, but i'll guarantee 'ratings' increase by at least one, as i'll watch the NRL again. I'm not alone, as Bear fans are fundies.

Mate I can see the benefits of the Bears back (I signed up for a membership myself), how amazing their bid is right now and how much passion the fans have for a team that isn't around yet but...

I am sick of the Bears fans here:
a) thinking they are a shoe-in/deserve the spot more than others (despite the injustices, life is full of them) it doesn't equal a ticket back, it is about what is best for the code.
b) Bears fans either magically re-appearing if the the bid is successful or threatening their support for the code (which for most is currently 0, so the NRL effective lose/gain nothing without the Bears).
c) Bears fans comparing memberships averaging around $80 to current NRL memberships worth hundreds.

And frankly as someone who originally loved the idea I am becoming less supportive each day.

Well we are at number one overall so there isn't a NEED for it to get us to one, a want to make things better? or a want to be come number 1 in metros?

That comes into play, not a need.

The advertising revenue that the TV networks make from sport in general come from capital cities. This is partly why the AFL can justify it's TV deal.

Have a look at the outlay of the spending in advertising and you will see why a 4th metro QLD team is worth sooooo much more!

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
The reason 9 puts on Broncos/Cowboys/Titans games regularly is because they do boost the overall capital city numbers. There is a very real drop off in Queensland viewers when only NSW teams feature, which is why at least one out of the 4 Friday teams features a QLD side. Compare this to Brisbane ratings when 2 NSW teams feature on a Sunday.

The advantage the NRL has over AFL is that it can potentially have two double header sessions on FTA that fans sit through both games - a Friday 7:30pm to 11:30pm F2A slot and from what I've advocated (and what Gallop is now pursuing and we'll likely get) a Sunday 2:00pm to 6:00pm slot.

By featuring a QLD team every Friday & Sunday (2 out of the 8 teams featured), the follow through audience (especially on the earlier Sunday afternoon slot where fatigure isn't a factor) is boosted over both games.

Currently QLD has 19% of the NRL teams and feature regularly as one of the six weekly F2A teams (about 17% representation) in one of 3 games (about 33% out of total F2A airtime).

Conversely NSW (exluding ACT) currently has 62.5% of the NRL teams and get approximately 75% F2A representation (about 4.5 out of 6 club slots) in almost all games (over 95% of total F2A airtime). As you can see NSW is well represented.

But - by introducing a 4th QLD team and by featuring 2 QLD teams in 2 out of the 4 games they would have 22% of the NRL teams, 50% representation and 50% out of the total F2A airtime. At the same time NSW would likely have about 5.5 out of 8 slots (so about a 7% dip to 69% represenation but still well above their actual make up of the competition) - BUT - at the same time they would still feature in almost all the NRL games (still over 95% of F2A airtime). Given to this that most likely there will be 3 NSW teams featured on Sunday, the overall Sydney audience will be larger than what we get with the current 2. So both QLD & NSW are boosted by a Sunday double header.

So as you can see, by introducing a 4th QLD team and 4th game, you can clearly boost their airtime without sacrificing NSW airtime and in turn boost both Brisbane metro numbers and regional QLD numbers across not only one but TWO games.

Outstanding. This illustrates why a second Brisbane team is essential in the short/medium term.

I'm an advocate of a second Brisbane side and Perth this expansion round but only if it's done right. Ipswich are yet to prove that too me, personally I think they should market themselves as a "second Brisbane" team as opposed to an Ipswich club. They should call themselves South Brisbane Jets and play out of Suncorp, base their players and majority of community work in Logan and Ipswich.

If a decent bid can be put together from the Jets then I definatley think it should be Jets & Reds this time around, if not then Bears & Reds. It would be hard luck for the Bears and their fans but it would be the better business decion as far as I'm concerned.

One thing is for sure, the NRL are blessed with options.

BDGS

Bench
With all this talk of doing it for the good of the NRL, I find it hypocritical of him to now come forward and say he hasn't even been supporting the comp.

Daniel son, there is more to Rugby League in Australia then just the NRL.

applesauce

Bench
Daniel son, there is more to Rugby League in Australia then just the NRL.

Not trying to be a smart ass but why is it as important as you say it is for the Bears to be back then???

You can't give with one hand and take with the other. Your arguments can be a little misleading.

BDGS

Bench
Outstanding. This illustrates why a second Brisbane team is essential in the short/medium term.

I'm an advocate of a second Brisbane side and Perth this expansion round but only if it's done right. Ipswich are yet to prove that too me, personally I think they should market themselves as a "second Brisbane" team as opposed to an Ipswich club. They should call themselves South Brisbane Jets and play out of Suncorp, base their players and majority of community work in Logan and Ipswich.

If a decent bid can be put together from the Jets then I definatley think it should be Jets & Reds this time around, if not then Bears & Reds. It would be hard luck for the Bears and their fans but it would be the better business decion as far as I'm concerned.

One thing is for sure, the NRL are blessed with options.

Agree with this.

BDGS

Bench
The advertising revenue that the TV networks make from sport in general come from capital cities. This is partly why the AFL can justify it's TV deal.

Have a look at the outlay of the spending in advertising and you will see why a 4th metro QLD team is worth sooooo much more!

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Med...ercial_television_networks_-_Jan-Jun_2010.pdf

I agree and when there is a serious bid from SEQ they should get in, unfortunately due to a number of circumstance there is not a serious bid from SEQ. Another Brisbane team is vital but Ipswich are not, as it stands WA and the Central Coast should be the two next teams in the NRL unless something major happens and happens quickly.

I have said it before and i will say it again, I only made my decision on expansion a few months ago when i seriously look into each bid and started asking around about each bid. Before that i didn't want another NSW team, i wanted teams in either new areas or teams in areas that will pull up a lot of money on the TV deal. But sport teams need to be done right, otherwise we'll experience what the A-league are now. How to gauge if sport teams are doing it right before they have a team? in a NRL sense look at their bids.

applesauce

Bench
I agree and when there is a serious bid from SEQ they should get in, unfortunately due to a number of circumstance there is not a serious bid from SEQ. Another Brisbane team is vital but Ipswich are not, as it stands WA and the Central Coast should be the two next teams in the NRL unless something major happens and happens quickly.

Wow talk about coincidence. Funny you say that because I just come across something very interesting!

Was on FB looking to see if the Jets had a page up yet like the Bears and Reds. I typed in "NRL Bid" to see what came up and.......

The FB page was started 10days ago, but in the info it says the actual consortium started up in September 2010. I imagine with the whole NEWS negotiations over the IC they would have to keep low profile otherwise risk NEWS wanting another veto on a Brisbane team like in SL to protect the Broncos.

This could put a spanner in the works for the Jets and Bears.

http://bnenrlbid.com.au/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane-NRL-Expansion-Bid/171001092942602?v=info

Loving the marketing already though "Battle for Brisbane". Would be a great local derby.

dgsfan

Juniors
Wow talk about coincidence. Funny you say that because I just come across something very interesting!

Was on FB looking to see if the Jets had a page up yet like the Bears and Reds. I typed in "NRL Bid" to see what came up and.......

The FB page was started 10days ago, but in the info it says the actual consortium started up in September 2010. I imagine with the whole NEWS negotiations over the IC they would have to keep low profile otherwise risk NEWS wanting another veto on a Brisbane team like in SL to protect the Broncos.

Loving the marketing already though "Battle for Brisbane". Would be a great local derby.

Good stuff! Looks like it's going to a really professional setup.

BDGS

Bench

Interesting, although leaving things very late.

So then be content with the Bears NSW Cup side.

Here you go again with twisting things. There is more to Rugby League then the NRL so it is possible that someone can be a League fan and not watch the NRL. That doesn't mean there is nothing the bears can bring to the NRL.

dgsfan

Juniors
It shows Bears fans to be fickle. What happens when they don't make the finals or win a premiership for decades and decades? Will they shaft the league like they have previously done?