What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

adamkungl

Immortal
People in Sydney don't want to watch Canberra play, thus, advertisers don't want to advertise during Canberra games. Simple. You might not like it but it's the way the world works. Get over it.

I'd sure rather watch Canberra than Brisbane every bloody Friday. Dead set you are the biggest nuffie on here...I don't believe you tried to claim Bears fans should be loyal to the NRL :lol: If my team got booted the NRL could get farked, I'd go watch A grade for free.

applesauce

Bench
Not sure how its bad for the Bears- if its not a hoax or stalled bid, it will mean 2 Brisbane bids scrambling to cannibalise each other for corporate support in a region ravaged by floods in a State economy that will be raising taxes heavily to pay off its debts for many years to come.

Bit rich coming from a NSW government in record debt, much more than QLD. At least we have mining and LNG to fall back on... :roll:

QLD does have a bigger drop off in the ratings and I don't think that's neccessarily attributed to lack of QLD teams. At the start it might have been but now as the Titans, Cowboys establish themselves further from the Broncos so do the fan bases of each franchise. Whilst you will always get fans who support all 3 QLD teams, the same can be said for NSW people who support more than their own team.

Generally the 2nd (non-live) game on F2A has a bigger drop off in QLD then it does in NSW. Even when the 2nd game features for example another QLD based team, the ratings still plummet. I believe that's more to do with the late night factor than anything else. Alot of people (tradies & builders for example) still have to work Saturdays and kids in general still go to bed during that 2nd game regardless who plays.

If channel 9 for example were to show both games live (on 9 and GO) then change the games around in both states. I'd say regardless each team will get the numbers. Either way a new team will have a novelty factor for a few seasons so we won't really find out the truth until well and truly each new team is into their 4th maybe 5th seasons.

Another factor that needs to be considered is day and night games. For example Suncorp Stadium seems more packed out for Friday Night games then they do for Sunday Day games yet the Titans seem the opposite. Whilst the Cowboys rarely play Sunday Day games @ home. So we don't have a clear picture as to what these 3 teams will rate through the different time slots. But I'm assuming by the TV time slots that the Broncos rate best on Friday nights, the Cowboys Saturday nights & the Titans Sunday day. If that's the case then where do we fit another QLD time slot for a new team without a stadium? Knowing the Reds (RU) and Roar (ALEAGUE) still have to use Suncorp during the times when the Broncos don't play there?

Now ad's and timeslots aside, a new team still needs a fanbase that will actually turn the TV on and watch them. 2 bids have an established one with one of them already having fans and supporters interstate.

Docbrown knows the deal for sure but until we see the Cowboys, Titans and Broncos play on days they normally wouldn't (Cowboys sunday day, Titans friday night & Broncos saturdays) then the ratings jig saw puzzle isn't complete. I honestly believe the CCBEARS will rate as well as any new QLD team at the beginning. And just like any new QLD team they will have to work hard after the inititial honeymoon period is over to maintain those viewers.

eg. Titans already having viewing and crowd numbers drop is an indication what any new team will suffer this after a few seasons and the emphasis should be TV time slot and membership management to make sure the drop is minimal when it happens.

Does that make sense?

bobmar28

Bench
Would you watch the sport if you had no team to support?

What's the point? Rugby League is about passion, if you got no passion you don't survive.

That passion for bears fan is so great they are still around 12 years after they lost their team, the passion for bears fans is so great they get the highest and most vocal crowds at NSW cup level.

as a fan, if you have no team you are passionate about then you can not fully support some competition if there is nothing for you to put your passion on.

I bet if the Bulldogs were kicked out for just one year, you would be the first to say "i don't care about what happens this year, i can't wait to watch my team next year"

I do already. Liverpool has a population of about 200,000 yet we have no NRL team. I am a fan of the NRL (and watch every FTA game). I chose a team to support. One that was moving to Liverpool at the time but never did.

bobmar28

Bench
Your fundamental misunderstandings of Rugby League culture continue to amaze.

Of course i stopped watching, i'm a North Sydney fan, why on earth would i continue to watch a comp that helped kill the only team that voluntarily moved from Sydney off its own back?.

Its my damn team, what interest would i have in NRL level football, doesn't mean that when in Sydney i didn't see NSW Cup, or watch Qld Cup up here. I haven't turned on an NRL match or been to one obviously since the year of the great disaster and won't do so until a team in red and black called the Bears plays in the NRL

No, hence my inverted commas!

What do you watch when the footy is on?

bobmar28

Bench
So you are advocating that Brisbane/QLD receive a 50% share of all FTA games, 4 out of 18 teams receiving 50% FTA coverage. FMD you cannot be serious.

If we are fair dinkum about giving all clubs an equal opportunity to boost sponsorship etc, via FTA exposure the only equitable solution is the following;

18 teams, 26 rounds (based on current schedule) 24 games each with 4 (as proposed earlier 2 f Fri night & 2 Sunday) FTA timeslots = 5.3 FTA games each, essentially 5 FTA games per team per year.

A possible new schedule based on 9 games per weekend (excluding bye rounds)
2 x Friday night,
2 Saturday afternoon & 2 Saturday Night,
2 Sunday afternoon games,
1 Monday night

5 timelsots, 24 games = 4.8 in each timeslot. Each team receives a minimum of;
4 x Friday night games
4 x Saturday afternoon games, 4 x Saturday night games
4 Sunday afternoon games
4 x Monday night games.

4 floating games TBA.

This is the best way to ensure equity for every team, the system we have had for many years favours a handful of teams at the remaining teams expense.

But let me guess Brisbane/QLD teams & viewers deserve 50% of all FTA games, right ?

Wouldn't QLD teams be playing against a Sydney team? That's 2 out of the 8 teams featured on FTA. That would be 25%.

_Johnsy

Referee
Wouldn't QLD teams be playing against a Sydney team? That's 2 out of the 8 teams featured on FTA. That would be 25%.

No. There are other teams which are not included in the Sydney region (Gold Coast, NQ, Brisbane, 2nd Brisbane, NQ, Newcastle, NZ) They would not be playing a Sydney region side every time they play a FTA game.

I am coming from a FTA game perspective. If there is four free to air games and two of them involve one of the QLD teams (which under the quote I referenced demanded) that = 50%.

I take it you are not a fan of equity?

bobmar28

Bench
While it sounds good in principle my belief a system that treated each team fairly would be best for the fans. Each club gets just as much games on FTA as each other (or close enough to it). That way no fans can sook that the Panthers aren't on enough or the Dragons are on too much. Under your system we would still have people saying why do the Qld teams individually get more FTA teams then somebody's individual team.

So QLD will have 23% of teams if they have 4 in an 18 team comp and have 25% of FTA time. I don't think fair minded people would object to that if it means more money for the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
I do already. Liverpool has a population of about 200,000 yet we have no NRL team. I am a fan of the NRL (and watch every FTA game). I chose a team to support. One that was moving to Liverpool at the time but never did.

2 points - this is the same Liverpool that nieghbours Bankstown, and is 15 minutes drive from Campbeltown, right? Don't be ridiculous. You live in Bulldogs local area. And are very close to tigers.

Second point - when he said 'no team to support' he meant 'the team i support got booted' not 'my suburb doesn't have a team'.

bobmar28

Bench
QLD does have a bigger drop off in the ratings and I don't think that's neccessarily attributed to lack of QLD teams. At the start it might have been but now as the Titans, Cowboys establish themselves further from the Broncos so do the fan bases of each franchise. Whilst you will always get fans who support all 3 QLD teams, the same can be said for NSW people who support more than their own team.

Generally the 2nd (non-live) game on F2A has a bigger drop off in QLD then it does in NSW. Even when the 2nd game features for example another QLD based team, the ratings still plummet. I believe that's more to do with the late night factor than anything else. Alot of people (tradies & builders for example) still have to work Saturdays and kids in general still go to bed during that 2nd game regardless who plays.

If channel 9 for example were to show both games live (on 9 and GO) then change the games around in both states. I'd say regardless each team will get the numbers. Either way a new team will have a novelty factor for a few seasons so we won't really find out the truth until well and truly each new team is into their 4th maybe 5th seasons.

Another factor that needs to be considered is day and night games. For example Suncorp Stadium seems more packed out for Friday Night games then they do for Sunday Day games yet the Titans seem the opposite. Whilst the Cowboys rarely play Sunday Day games @ home. So we don't have a clear picture as to what these 3 teams will rate through the different time slots. But I'm assuming by the TV time slots that the Broncos rate best on Friday nights, the Cowboys Saturday nights & the Titans Sunday day. If that's the case then where do we fit another QLD time slot for a new team without a stadium? Knowing the Reds (RU) and Roar (ALEAGUE) still have to use Suncorp during the times when the Broncos don't play there?

Now ad's and timeslots aside, a new team still needs a fanbase that will actually turn the TV on and watch them. 2 bids have an established one with one of them already having fans and supporters interstate.

Docbrown knows the deal for sure but until we see the Cowboys, Titans and Broncos play on days they normally wouldn't (Cowboys sunday day, Titans friday night & Broncos saturdays) then the ratings jig saw puzzle isn't complete. I honestly believe the CCBEARS will rate as well as any new QLD team at the beginning. And just like any new QLD team they will have to work hard after the inititial honeymoon period is over to maintain those viewers.

eg. Titans already having viewing and crowd numbers drop is an indication what any new team will suffer this after a few seasons and the emphasis should be TV time slot and membership management to make sure the drop is minimal when it happens.

Does that make sense?

Not really. Why not just leave it up to the TV networks? See what they would be willing to pay for the extra NSW or QLD game.

bobmar28

Bench
No. There are other teams which are not included in the Sydney region (Gold Coast, NQ, Brisbane, 2nd Brisbane, NQ, Newcastle, NZ) They would not be playing a Sydney region side every time they play a FTA game.

I am coming from a FTA game perspective. If there is four free to air games and two of them involve one of the QLD teams (which under the quote I referenced demanded) that = 50%.

I take it you are not a fan of equity?

That adds up to 2 of the 8 teams featured. That is 25%.

_Johnsy

Referee
Docbrown,

You can look at this scenario 2 ways and each have different ooutcomes.

FTA timeslots, or teams represented in the timeslots.

I agree that you make some very good points, I do also believe that all teams must receive a minimum number of FTA games (using your model or mine).

If we are to be serious we must ensure all clubs have somewhat of an equal footing to increase revenue via sponsorship. Teams in NSW are already vying for $$ in a crowded market (compared to QLD based sides) why disadvantage them even further?

A minimum amount of games per timeslot, and a minimum number of games on FTA.

Johnsy's 2013 schedule based on 9 games per weekend (excluding bye rounds) FTA in red.
2 x Friday night,
2 Saturday afternoon & 2 Saturday Night,
2 Sunday afternoon games,
1 Monday night

5 timelsots, 24 games = 4.8 in each timeslot. Each team receives a minimum of;
4 x Friday night games
4 x Saturday afternoon games, 4 x Saturday night games
4 Sunday afternoon games
4 x Monday night games.

4 floating games TBA (using Docbrowns method the last part of the season, the higher teams will be allocated an equal amount of remaining FTA games). ie, top 8 teams with 6 weeks left to play, 24 FTA games = 3 each.

Not really. Why not just leave it up to the TV networks? See what they would be willing to pay for the extra NSW or QLD game.

So TV networks should decide the future of our game instead of communities and the people who follow/live the game? What happens when like everything else the demographics change for the TV networks? Kill the teams off and replace them with new ones? Leave them to die? Prop them indefinitely?

_Johnsy

Referee
I still don't see how this is relevant to Gosford. Why do you keep bringing up Sydney? Country NSW only has 1 team.

He often flops between Sydney City and the Sydney region :roll:

Gosford to Sydney CBD - 80km
Campbelltown to Sydney CBD - 64km
Illawarra to Sydney CBD - 123km
Penrith to Sydney CBD - 72km
Gold Coast to Brisbane - 77km

It appears that Brisbane city does already have a 2nd team.

Last edited: