What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

nrlnrl

First Grade
Let's see if he makes the 7s team first- they are the world champs and he has never played the game...

Great point, so many people will think he can just walk into their team. He needs to make the 12-man squad for Rio. From what I've read, the last tournament of the 2016 Rugby 7's World Series is in London next weekend. Then there's a camp for them to finalise their 12-man squad.

nick87

Coach
Good on him for having a real crack
if he had of gone over there earlier in his career things in the NFL might have turned out differently.

Will be interesting to see what happens after the rugby thing

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I think his major issue he will face is that he has built his body up over the last 18 months for explosive short bursts of power, not endurance.

7s is fast and although they are only short games it's go to woah the whole time, players are usually out on their feet the last couple of minutes.

Hayne has what like 4 months to get his fitness/endurance back up? During that time he also has to actually make the team, (massive external pressure will be on the coach to pick him regardless).

Sure this will lead to his NRL return in 2017, would love it to be for Parra but after the last few weeks I can't see that happening.

Nerd

Bench
Have to have a laugh at the Fiji 7's coach questioning if Hayne is good enough to make the side. Having played in the NRL makes Hayne a walk up starter for just about any Union team.

Danish

Referee
Great point, so many people will think he can just walk into their team. He needs to make the 12-man squad for Rio. From what I've read, the last tournament of the 2016 Rugby 7's World Series is in London next weekend. Then there's a camp for them to finalise their 12-man squad.

It's a f**king amateur sport. He will dominate it. A rugby 7s side made up of NRL players with 1 month prep would win the gold, guaranteed

4 months is plenty of time to build aerobic fitness. All he would have to do is stop lifting heavy and up his running and sprints sessions. Much easier than going the other way.

Usain Bolt

Bench
It's a f**king amateur sport. He will dominate it. A rugby 7s side made up of NRL players with 1 month prep would win the gold, guaranteed

4 months is plenty of time to build aerobic fitness. All he would have to do is stop lifting heavy and up his running and sprints sessions. Much easier than going the other way.

Not really, SBW has been playing it for 5 months and is probably the worst NZ player and only being picked on reputation

DC_fan

Coach
I am stunned by this move. Their appears to be no suggestion that the 49ers were about to cut him. So his leaving is entirely his own decision.

Does he really know what he wants to do or what his dream really is? Eighteen months ago it was all about playing in the NFL. Now the dream is playing in the Olympics. In six months time what will his dream be then? I applauded him when he made his move to the NFL. It was a gutsy move. To give up on after a short period of time disappoints me. If he was unhappy in San Francisco or thought he was about to be cut by the team there is another 31 teams he may have made it with.

I wish him the best for the future, where ever that may be. But gee he really has lost me with this move.

Danish

Referee
Not really, SBW has been playing it for 5 months and is probably the worst NZ player and only being picked on reputation

Sonny is not an NRL player and hasn't been for years, nor was he ever the type of player you'd want to pick for a 7s tournament.

A team made up entirely of fullbacks, centres, and wingers would be all that is required

Wizardman

First Grade
I am stunned by this move. Their appears to be no suggestion that the 49ers were about to cut him. So his leaving is entirely his own decision.

Does he really know what he wants to do or what his dream really is? Eighteen months ago it was all about playing in the NFL. Now the dream is playing in the Olympics. In six months time what will his dream be then? I applauded him when he made his move to the NFL. It was a gutsy move. To give up on after a short period of time disappoints me. If he was unhappy in San Francisco or thought he was about to be cut by the team there is another 31 teams he may have made it with.

I wish him the best for the future, where ever that may be. But gee he really has lost me with this move.

I'd say SF management was going to give him a tap on the shoulder. I doubt he'd have left if he was in the team for another season.

For Parra to get Hayne back, they'd have to sack the backline and have standing ovations for the first 7 minutes.

BuffaloRules

Coach

He has got less than 3 months...

You are kidding yourself if you think he is going to walk into this team...

He should have tried the Australian team.. would have been much easier...

Lemon Squash

First Grade

This... SBW is making a fist of it but isn't naturally suited to the sport like he is in League and 15 man Union. If he was anyone else he would have been axed a while ago.

Hayne's talents as a player will definately be more suited to it than SBW and I defiantly think he has the ability, he was an absolute freak for us week in week out.

I just think it's going to be a lot harder for him to come in though learn the game plus get his fitness where it needs to be within such a short space of time.

Also we all forget he isn't switching straight from League to 7s he has been playing an entirely different sport the last 18 months, you never lose the skills but surely he will be a bit rusty, players are usually always a bit rusty coming back from a layoff.

If they are serious about picking him for the Olympics there's a good chance that they will want to have a look at him this weekends tournament in London.

He's already proven though that he can make it in a complete other sport so once again will follow with interest.

Danish

Referee
He has got less than 3 months...

You are kidding yourself if you think he is going to walk into this team...

He should have tried the Australian team.. would have been much easier...

The Australian team? Their coach is way too full of himself and his loser sport to ever let s league player into the side. He outright rejected any wallabies players from the team, let alone allowing a filthy blue collar league man in there.

Fiji have approach Hayne about this as well. I doubt he'd have left the NFL and moved to rugby 7s without assurances he will be playing

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Australian team? Their coach is way too full of himself and his loser sport to ever let s league player into the side. He outright rejected any wallabies players from the team, let alone allowing a filthy blue collar league man in there.

Fiji have approach Hayne about this as well. I doubt he'd have left the NFL and moved to rugby 7s without assurances he will be playing

Or he was given the word from 49er coaches that he was unlikely to make the team and this gives him a face saving out...

DC_fan

Coach
I'd say SF management was going to give him a tap on the shoulder.

Jumped before he was pushed. That could be true. But as I said their is another 31 teams he could have looked at. If he really wanted to play in the NFL, which 18 months he said he really wanted to do then that is what he could have at least tried to do.

Back in 2014 I believe he become an inspiration to many for trying to live his dream, for wanting to move outside his comfort zone. I wonder what people will think now.

Danish

Referee
Or he was given the word from 49er coaches that he was unlikely to make the team and this gives him a face saving out...

If he were just leaving, he'd go somewhere that actually pays money. He'd make $1 million a year in the NRL and probably $1.5 million or more in euro rugby.

No reason for him to lie when saying that Fijian rugby 7s approached him about joining the squad, as it would be found out in a matter of hours if he was full of shit

BuffaloRules

Coach
If he were just leaving, he'd go somewhere that actually pays money. He'd make $1 million a year in the NRL and probably $1.5 million or more in euro rugby.

No reason for him to lie when saying that Fijian rugby 7s approached him about joining the squad, as it would be found out in a matter of hours if he was full of shit

He will do one of those options next year and he still has many years ahead of him to make real money...

I'm dubious that Fiji 7s have just approached him out of the blue yesterday with one round of the World Series remaining to come and join their world champion and gold medal favourite side on the eve of the Olympics...

But lets see how he plays out... Apparently the coach has already said that he wont be walking onto the team

Latest posts