What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Wizardman

First Grade
Jumped before he was pushed. That could be true. But as I said their is another 31 teams he could have looked at. If he really wanted to play in the NFL, which 18 months he said he really wanted to do then that is what he could have at least tried to do.

Back in 2014 I believe he become an inspiration to many for trying to live his dream, for wanting to move outside his comfort zone. I wonder what people will think now.

Way too harsh....he definitely did move out of his comfort zone by trying NFL in the first place. I give him all the credit in the world for trying but I think he saw that he wasn't going to crack things in a big way over there. I cannot blame him in any way.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/j...i/news-story/c2de2c36dbd9e3add0937946104ee944

Comments from the coach of Fiji...

Fiji sevens coach Ben Ryan welcomed the 28-year-old into his fold but warned there were no guarantees he would be selected for the London tournament or the Olympics.
Sevens-mad Fiji are one of the hot medal favourites for Rio and are stacked with natural athletes that rival Hayne for speed, skills and power.

Hayne has no top level rugby union or sevens experience.

“I’ve had a few conversations with Jarryd and followed his career in the NRL in Australia, in the Bati with Fiji, and more recently with the NFL as a running back for the 49ers,” Ryan said.
“He got a taste for sevens when he was with the boys in Sydney and that sowed a few seeds, and that has just got bigger.
He has had a chat with the 49ers and his agent, and I have with everybody else to make sure he is on our accreditation list and to ensure he ticks our boxes, he is a Fijian passport holder, all those sorts of things.
“I have no promises he is going to make the 12 (for London), but we will see how he goes.
“He will then come into Fijian camp for the Olympic period.
“It is a huge challenge for Jarryd but if he gets into the squad it is only going to be on form, because he is a blinding rugby player.
“If he doesn’t make it, is just shows how good this Fijian sevens side is.
“It is a no lose situation for me.
“It is no lose for Jarryd either, he gets himself into the possibility of being a part of this journey, and the boys are all going to learn off him as well.
“He comes in with an A* but it is up to him to hang onto that, it’s really exciting and really what the Olympics is all about.”

Danish

Referee
He will do one of those options next year and he still has many years ahead of him to make real money...

I'm dubious that Fiji 7s have just approached him out of the blue yesterday with one round of the World Series remaining to come and join their world champion and gold medal favourite side on the eve of the Olympics...

But lets see how he plays out... Apparently the coach has already said that he wont be walking onto the team

They've been talking for months, I'm sure. Hayne was in their camp for the Sydney tournament and in the sheds leading prayers etc.

Timbo

Staff member
Fiji were already a solid chance for gold. Be incredibly unfair to someone who has been playing for them to get them this far to be dumped because Hayne has another dream he feels like following.

blaza88z

Coach
This decision is laughable at best, NFL being a dream.. okay fair enough, playing Rugby f**king 7's?

That will do me

Knownothing

Juniors
Fiji were already a solid chance for gold. Be incredibly unfair to someone who has been playing for them to get them this far to be dumped because Hayne has another dream he feels like following.

Fiji has never won an Olympic medal of any kind.

If Hayne makes the squad if will be because Ben Ryan (the coach) believes that it will enhance their chances of success, and that implies that the playing group is able to embrace Hayne as a legitimate member.

There are probably dozens of potential Olympic Sevens players in Fiji. Most of them will miss out, but all of them will feel great national pride if their national team wins gold.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Just read he maybe ineligible because you have to be part of the WADA drug testing pool 6 months before competing and the NFL aren't apart of WADA

ed612313

Juniors
This decision is laughable at best, NFL being a dream.. okay fair enough, playing Rugby f**king 7's?

That will do me

Agree....
Rugby 7's??? S
Seriously.... Who gives a f.ck.
The standard is so average it is almost embarrassing for Hayne to be doing it.
Its just timing - Its a good stop gap for him. Nothing more. Nothing less.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Agree....
Rugby 7's??? S
Seriously.... Who gives a f.ck.
The standard is so average it is almost embarrassing for Hayne to be doing it.
Its just timing - Its a good stop gap for him. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's not about Sevens as much as being about the Olympics and a good chance of winning gold there. Most Athletes would give a fair bit for hat.

Glen

Bench

That will do me
It must be devastating to Hayne that his explanation didn't live up to your lofty expectations.

Good on him. Overachieved compared to what he should have in a league like the NFL with one off-season. Even if he was tapped on the shoulder by the 49ers the rugby 7s for Fiji is a good fit and winning a medal would be huge, and league and union clubs will be lining up to lock him down for next season

Danish

Referee
So where do people stand? Did Hayne succeed in the NFL or did he fail?

Pulling the pin before establishing himself is a failure in my books. He should have stayed at least another 2 seasons and gone for a first string position to count as a success IMO, as that is what he was capable of.

Just making the roster is not what his ability was limited to.

If he doesn't make the 7s squad for some reason his pay cheque for next year will take a massive hit now as well

Plumplechook

Juniors
New England Patriots granted one of their players Nate Ebner leave of absence to play for the US Sevens team at the Rio Olympics. So if the 49ers still wanted Hayne you would think they would do the same for him.

I think this lends more weight to the view that the 49ers management have had a quiet word to Hayne that he is likely to miss the cut. Face saving all round.

nick87

Coach
Pulling the pin before establishing himself is a failure in my books. He should have stayed at least another 2 seasons and gone for a first string position to count as a success IMO, as that is what he was capable of.

Just making the roster is not what his ability was limited to.

If he doesn't make the 7s squad for some reason his pay cheque for next year will take a massive hit now as well

Yeah im torn. Obviously he made it further than i thought he would. But i dont think making a roster and being a complete non factor was his goals. Feels like a failed attempt to me

Maroon4life

Juniors
LOL what a pea hearted merkin. What a myth.

The moment he has to work for something without the NSW media slobbing his c**k to grant him free passage he packs it in and runs off.

Latest posts