What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
If this pommy ranga coach of Fiji is fair dinkum Hayne won't get within cooee of this side. These Fijians are all 6.5 and are all lightning, give them half a gap and they are scoring.

Hayne in his current state looks a fish out of water, looks lost, slow and bulky.

He would be better off trying out for the Aussie side, he would at least give them some size.

Hayne looks as out of place next to them as he did next to the NFL players when he joined. There is no way an NRL Australian team could hold a candle to them. You need raw pace, size and skill. Our most skilful players are either too small or slow.

aqua_duck

Coach
People who think league players would just turn up and dominate rugby 7s are delusional. Take the NRL 9s as an example, it's rarely been the big names who've dominated, rather the players more suited to the game. SBW is one of the most gifted duel internationals to ever strap on a pair of boots and even with a wealth of rugby union experience, its still taking him quite a while to adapt to 7's.

El Diablo

Post Whore
People who think league players would just turn up and dominate rugby 7s are delusional. Take the NRL 9s as an example, it's rarely been the big names who've dominated, rather the players more suited to the game. SBW is one of the most gifted duel internationals to ever strap on a pair of boots and even with a wealth of rugby union experience, its still taking him quite a while to adapt to 7's.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...at-union-at-their-own-game-20100331-reyz.html

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Not sure what that proves except you know how to use the link function. Rugby in this country is in a poor state. The Fijian sevens teams are freaks.

Knownothing

Juniors
Wouldn't it make more sense to try and develop 9s to a level where it could be an olympic sport?

The World Rugby Sevens circuit was set up in 1999, and there are 10 tournaments a year, in 10 different countries. BTW Rugby union Sevens has been played for far longer than that.

A women's circuit has been running alongside the men's for a number of years as well.

That's all it would take to get Olympic recognition. What are the chances of that happening?

Lambretta

First Grade
Always go for aussies. Always. No exceptions. One big team. Expect the same from people everywhere. Putting team results ahead of your own personal interests is what makes sport great. It is what makes any team and accomplishment great. I feel sympathy for people who miss out on that. Who don't get it. There is hope for you yet.

I grew up in England and spent most of my life suffering through English capitulation against Australia. I moved to Australia half of my lifetime ago and continued, largely to suffer barbs from mates as England got pantsed time after time.

A few years ago there was a Lions tour here and my neighbours invited me to the pub to watch a game.

I looked at the names of the people in the Lions team and I didn't recognise a single name. Not surprising as I never watch Union. But also as a large section of the team might have been Welshists.

Israel Folau was playing for Australia and I knew a few of the other players through them having their names in the paper or the odd "let's use the Bledisloe as an excuse to drink beer" experience.

As such I decided to cheer for Australia

You got absolutely f**king pantsed by the Welshist team.

Pray I never get on board to follow Australia at anything, or you'll likely work out what it's like to suffer being a shite team at well everything

I am a Jonah.

Parra

Referee
The World Rugby Sevens circuit was set up in 1999, and there are 10 tournaments a year, in 10 different countries. BTW Rugby union Sevens has been played for far longer than that.

A women's circuit has been running alongside the men's for a number of years as well.

That's all it would take to get Olympic recognition. What are the chances of that happening?

Yes. A genuine focus on internationals is all it would take. The NRL can't even be bothered to play the game under the same rules, let alone give any thought to internationals.

Parra

Referee
I grew up in England and spent most of my life suffering through English capitulation against Australia. I moved to Australia half of my lifetime ago and continued, largely to suffer barbs from mates as England got pantsed time after time.

A few years ago there was a Lions tour here and my neighbours invited me to the pub to watch a game.

I looked at the names of the people in the Lions team and I didn't recognise a single name. Not surprising as I never watch Union. But also as a large section of the team might have been Welshists.

Israel Folau was playing for Australia and I knew a few of the other players through them having their names in the paper or the odd "let's use the Bledisloe as an excuse to drink beer" experience.

Pray I never get on board to follow Australia at anything, or you'll likely work out what it's like to suffer being a shite team at well everything

I am a Jonah.

What would it take to get you to start following NZ?

I am a Jonah.

In that case, could you please start supporting the Brisbane Broncos? You can get a membership just about mulling it over. They need all your 'type' of support they can get.

POPEYE

Coach

I don't think Thurston/Smith/Cronk would come within a bull's roar of what's needed for Rugby 7's but I could put together a team of NRL players that would at least beat everyone bar the Fijians

Brutus

Referee

Hayne was an NFL player.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Captain Hayne leads Fiji to World Series 7's victory

DB04F3EF-9E1A-42A9-83CF-EA0EAA324EC6.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with RL is it has little commitment to sustain anything. In England they started a mid week Nines comp for Sl teams and soon gave it up. We have the Auckland nines but awaiting the All stars type mentality of "its had its day" any time now.
Hate Union with a passion but at least they have a plan and stick to it. 7's was about spreading the game internationally to new areas and building to become a recognised Olympic sport. they have achieved both pretty well with the format. I wont hold my breath that RL could ever achieve anything like it anytime soon.