What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Pommy

Coach
The World Rugby Sevens circuit was set up in 1999, and there are 10 tournaments a year, in 10 different countries. BTW Rugby union Sevens has been played for far longer than that.

A women's circuit has been running alongside the men's for a number of years as well.

That's all it would take to get Olympic recognition. What are the chances of that happening?

So we let our players go and play a different sport?

Bazal

Post Whore
Getting a bit tired of reading how complex the Rugby f*cking 7s are. Such horsesh*t.

Yeah it's a very simple game really...that said, in rugby in general the rules at the breakdown can be difficult for league players to understand in the heat of a match, especially having never played.

Knownothing

Juniors
Getting a bit tired of reading how complex the Rugby f*cking 7s are. Such horsesh*t.

The game itself is not complex (providing that the players understand all the rules, which does take a fair while) but the interaction and teamwork between the players, in attack and defence,are very important and also take time to develop.

I don't think Thurston/Smith/Cronk would come within a bull's roar of what's needed for Rugby 7's but I could put together a team of NRL players that would at least beat everyone bar the Fijians

Might throw South Africa in the mix too , they are pretty talented

RoosTah

Juniors

It's not that it's "complex" so much that it's a different nuance than normal Union, and with a vastly different focus and fitness requirement.

Hayne struggled for the same reason a sprinter would struggle in an iron-man event; he spent 18 months preparing for short focused bursts and then jumped into something that was constantly varying, fast and fluid.

He's definitely capable of doing it, but if he was going to he probably should have done what SBW did and play 15 man union first for a couple seasons and then get into the 7s at the start of their season.

bileduct

Coach
Problem with RL is it has little commitment to sustain anything. In England they started a mid week Nines comp for Sl teams and soon gave it up. We have the Auckland nines but awaiting the All stars type mentality of "its had its day" any time now.
Hate Union with a passion but at least they have a plan and stick to it. 7's was about spreading the game internationally to new areas and building to become a recognised Olympic sport. they have achieved both pretty well with the format. I wont hold my breath that RL could ever achieve anything like it anytime soon.
Rugby Union has far more international recognition than Rugby League, has the benefit of previously being an Olympic support and there's been quite a few attempts to bring it back. That said, the best they could come up with is 12 teams and a completely bastardised version of their game.

Nines is little more than a pre-season attraction and shouldn't be treated as anything more than a carnival weekend where everyone gets a participation award. I don't know why anyone would want this rinky dink game to be the international face of Rugby League.

I want Jarryd to be in the team but there's just so much talent I can't see who will be left out.

To be honest you wouldn't really need him, there are players as good if not better at 7s already in the team.
Fiji barring a disaster will more than likely win gold

Bigcoq

Juniors
Wrong manager/ to dumb to ever think he could emulated SBW or Falou.. what is Hayne and his manager thinking? My advise to Jared is Fight Danny Green then return to the NRL ASAP..

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Bigcoq needs to spend less time making shit threads and more time sliding a knitting needle up his doodle-hole until his bladder bursts.