What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What movie have you seen #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't understand your argument eloyd - how does one outshine another when they voluntarily take a back-seat? In no form did I say it was a bad performance, in fact I'll go on record to say it was good performance, I just thought Jackman's was better owing to my belief he had the jucier part.

It's been awhile since I've seen Begins, but I always found his portrayal of Batman in the Dark Knight to be comedic, it's just too over the top.

elyod138

Bench
I don't understand your argument eloyd - how does one outshine another when they voluntarily take a back-seat? In no form did I say it was a bad performance, in fact I'll go on record to say it was good performance, I just thought Jackman's was better owing to my belief he had the jucier part.

It's been awhile since I've seen Begins, but I always found his portrayal of Batman in the Dark Knight to be comedic, it's just too over the top.

That is my point, Bale hasn't been 'outshone' in a negative way, he is performing his role in the film. It's only the average movie-goer who brings up the 'outshone' and 'overshadowed' arguments in films to bring down an actor, when usually the reason for it is obvious and it isn't a negative thing, if you understand anything about the fundamentals of writing characters to fit into a story.

Just like Ledger was performing his role in The Dark Knight and the other actors were the counterpoint, it isn't a competition to see who can be the most entertaining on the screen, a cast of characters requires balance (I know you know this, I'm just thinking out loud). In The Fighter, Wahlberg is getting some hate because the other characters are over the top and he is very dull and normal, but without his character the film wouldn't work.

I think Bale gets some unwarranted heat from general movie-goers because he is one of the few method actors who has made it as an A-Lister. He isn't a movie star, you don't go to a movie to see him be his charming self, like George Clooney or Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt (Pitt at least tries to mix it up a bit). He is an actor, not an entertainer, his primary goal is to service the film, not entertain the audience and people are confused when a big star does that.

The over-the-top portrayal of Batman as a beast, with the growling voice was Nolan's decision. It's right there in the screenplay. I'm pretty sure they even edited Bale's voice in The Dark Knight in post production to make it more over the top (I have no evidence, but I remember reading it in an interview with Nolan, and fans always bring it up). As a reader of the comics, I think it's the most accurate portrayal of Batman by far (Nolan nailed the essence of the Joker too).

p.s. My 'finally' comment in the first post was a little bit of a bait, I can argue about topics like this for hours. While I believe Bale has had several performances worthy of award recognition, The Fighter is the first time he has actually been in contention, because all of the others either weren't released in the awards season (which is crucial, it's all about buzz) or the subject matter was too out there (American Psycho).

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Good post.

My whole insight on the Prestige was more "well if you want to go down that route, Jackman outshone everyone".

I wasn't debating the 'finally' comment either, I believe he's got a good body of work and is certainly deserving (although I wouldn't say he's overdue, just due). My only concern with Bale, hence why I called him overated is that from about Batman Begins he hasn't gone after any juicy roles and I thought 2009 was by far the biggest indication that he was settling to coast as a pidgeon holed actor.

For instance I thought his role in Salvation was one of his most generic to date and his portrayal of Melvin Purvis wasn't exactly anything to write home about. That's not to single him out, I thought most of the actors (with the exception of Marion Cotillard) put in stock standard efforts.

Interesting to hear it was Nolan to blame for the Bat voice, I suppose that's another strike against one of my most admired directors, the first being his inconsistent ability to shoot action scenes.

elyod138

Bench
Interesting to hear it was Nolan to blame for the Bat voice, I suppose that's another strike against one of my most admired directors, the first being his inconsistent ability to shoot action scenes.

I think he is prone to writing one dimensional female characters too, hopefully he fixes that up, The Dark Knight Rises could use a strong, interesting female character. Tahlia Al Ghul and Selina Kyle could be great in Nolan's world.

I hope he explores Bruce Wayne's sanity a bit more too, like they regularly do in the comics. It would be great if Bale was given something meaty to work with in his last Batman film. I can't see them doing that though, after all it's still PG and they need to keep it kid friendly. I'd love to see Darren Aronofsky's R rated take on Batman.

I can't wait to see where Nolan takes his career though, he's still so young for a director and at the moment he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I've yet to really notice that but now that I think of it you're incredibly right, I don't think he's ever surpassed the 'Natalie' character in Memento - and she wasn't exactly that multi-layered.

To get this back onto topic the last film I watched was Best Worst Movie a doco on the cult following of Trolls 2 and the cast and crew involved. It's a really good film that can have you laughing one moment and feeling absolutely helpless the next as you glimpse into the lives of the hopeless. Highlight for mine was an interview with a bit part actor who arrived on set on his day off from the mental hospital, was given his role and maintains he wasn't acting at all in his film - especially funny when you consider the shots spliced in are way over the top dramatic evil expressions. That, and when he confesses that he wanted to kill the child actor, who also happened to be directing the doco, oops!

Barbershop -

straight up gangsta ice cube plays calvin. Barbershop owner. he works with steriotyped old black guy cedric the "entertainer". steriotyped sassy black chick eve. steriotyped badass played by some black dude....steriotyped wigger.....then theres a cartoon pimp in there....dude that lookes like chris rock but isnt chris rock and antwan mitchell from the shield(anthony anderson) steals an ATM.

cube sells the shop to the cartoon pimp.
then tries to get it back because its all important. n sh*t

stupid ending.

cedric the entertainer eats fried chicken throughout.

dave chappelle made fun of this movie for a reason.

zombie jesus

Staff member
The 4 Die Hard movies, hadn't seen the first 3 for ages and never saw the 4th instalment, thought it was pretty good.
Killers - Real bad.
Insomnia - Not bad.

elyod138

Bench
Never Let Me Go

Being a big fan of Mulligan and Garfield, loving the premise and hearing great things about the book, it disappointed me a little.

It was by no means bad, I just think it could have been a lot better if it were longer and more detailed, it seemed rushed.

Big Pete

Referee
Ha, what got you into the new Spidey, eloyd? Boy A? Or did you really take notice in The Social Network? (Just like me)

There Will Be Blood - I can't explain my weird attraction to this film, just everything about this movie works for me and Daniel Day Lewis is brilliant, easily one of the best performances of the last decade.

elyod138

Bench
Ha, what got you into the new Spidey, eloyd? Boy A? Or did you really take notice in The Social Network? (Just like me)

There Will Be Blood - I can't explain my weird attraction to this film, just everything about this movie works for me and Daniel Day Lewis is brilliant, easily one of the best performances of the last decade.

It was Boy A, he was so good. I think he'll make a great Spidey.

Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius in my mind, I love all of his films.

Red Bear

Referee
Tomorrow when the War Began

OK, opening was pretty cringeworthy, the intorduction of the various characters, but had its moment. Girls pretty hot

Finally watched "It". Me being a huge Stephen King fan meant that this film was truly horrible. Tim Curry was kinda creepy as the clown but they missed the whole point of the book

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Piranha - Trash, but that's pretty much what they were going for by the looks of it. It was odd in a way because there wasn't a lot of killing and then suddenly 15 or so minutes of the biggest continuous bloodbath you're likely to see.

Tomorrow When The War Began - I do realise it's the first of a series of books, but as a movie it felt so under done. Still not sure how I feel about it. Found the constant interruption for narration a bit annoying. We don't need a recap every 15 minutes to tell us what the story is about. A theme should be delivered within the context of a story.

Legion - Surprised by it in a good way. Certainly won't be anything you haven't seen in regards to special effects/action, but there's enough in there to enjoy. Did well considering the inherent restriction that often comes with largely single location films.

How To Train Your Dragon - Now this one was a surprise, firstly because I watched it, second of all because I enjoyed it. Light entertainment.

Lake Placid 3 - Turned it off after 10 minutes. Probably took 9 1/2 minutes too long to hit stop.

Expendables - Was never going to be anything other than an 80's throwback and from that POV it didn't disappoint. Won't comment on the story because there really wasn't one, but it was fun.

Losers - A lot like Expendables, which also seemed like a regurgitated script from the A-Team, or maybe the other way around. Who knows which one came first. Really wasn't memorable.

Shank - Nice little English film about gangs running wild. I didn't like the direction, especially when things were added in like anime scenes and video game dog fights (although it was a creative way to get around low budget issues). Solid, but the additional creative elements were distracting from the story.

Iron Man 2 - Massive disappointment compared to the first. Enough said. Downey Jr was cringeworthy in this one (his character more than the acting. Thought it was very poorly written).

Centurion - Liked it. Characters weren't really developed as much as they could've been, but I doubt that's what they were going for. Nice story about survival behind enemy lines and some nice action too.

Karate Kid - Yes I'm biased because I grew up with the original, but for the life of me I can't figure out how anybody could think that was a good ending. I know they had to replace the crane with something, but come on, the one legged backflip head kick of doom? Aside from that I found it rather bland, and being a fan of the original I knew what dialogue was coming but they changed it only slightly which made it sound very awkward for me. Still - terrible ending.

Jonah Hex - Typical comic conversion. Wouldn't say it was good or bad. Quite short and not very memorable. Worth a look as long as you want light entertainment.

Ong Bak 3 - A drop off from the original, in both action and story. Would probably say that the best action came in the scenes that Jaa wasn't even involved in. Still, it concludes everything well enough. Worth watching if you can handle subtitles.

Family Guy: It's a Trap - a few jokes were hit and miss, but any fan of Family Guy will enjoy it.

Just noticed that Final Fantasy Spirits Within is on TV. Wow, how far have special effects come? Back when this movie first came out it was groundbreaking realism for 3d effects. Now it looks so unrendered and dated. Not as bad a movie as many critics said.

Red Bear

Referee
Watched Four Lions last night. Pretty damn good movie, had heard good things about it. Some moment of hilarity but probably a bit sadder and slightly confronting compared to what I was expecting. Still, good movie

I'm guessing you've seen about 10% of his body of work (almost 40 films). His first major film role as a 12 year old was Oscar worthy.

His work as a 12 year old is largely different to his work as an adult.

Public Enemies, the Batman films, 3.10 to Yuma, e.t.c. had him playing introverted characters, they weren't showy roles but he did nothing wrong, his performances reflected the characters in the screenplay and the way the directors wanted them to come across on screen (I thought he was amazingly subtle in 3.10 to Yuma).

His performancers weren't great in any film you named there ESPECIALLY the Batman films.

There is a reason why several of the best living directors have worked with him and continue to give him roles (Spielberg, Branagh, Haynes, Nolan, Malick, Herzog, Mangold, Mann, O'Russell, Zhang).

Yes there is, he is a box office draw card.

You'd be hard pressed to find another 36 year old actor with a body of work that rivals his.
Leonardo Di Caprio.

Sorry I just can't agree Bale is long over due for an Oscar. A Razzie maybe but not an Oscar.

Red Bear

Referee
Just watched Its a Trap, first time I've watched family guy in a long time, wont be watching it again any time soon. Rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts