What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just why I mention them is that did a review of both Mandy & Annihilation. Also in regards to Cage's parade of endless movies apparently he has a large tax bill that he owes so he has to work a fair bit to pay it off.

At least he looks like he’s enjoyi himself in Mandy. That bathroom scene....

Wizardman

First Grade
Fist of Fury: Bruce Lee classic. One for martial arts movie fans....absolute classic. Lee may not have been a good actor, but the man had charisma and intensity. 5 out of 5

A Simple Favour: Solid, original and creative thriller. Funny movie (intentionally so) but had a degree of seriousness too. The skill of the two main actresses made the movie a success. Blake Lively has very good talent...versatile and entertaining. 3 out of 5

FUNNY GAMES: (2007)

v1.bTsxMTYyMTYzNTtqOzE3OTA5OzEyMDA7NjAwOzgwMA

A scene-for-scene remake of director Michael Haneke's own, same-named 1997 Austrian film, "Funny Games" has more on its mind than startling displays of blood and terror. Yes yet another US purloin of a European film. Can Haneke please tell me why he called his film "funny games" as the terror these two young psychopaths wreak on their victims are neither funny nor games. This version lacks the cutting edge tension of the original so disappointed me somewhat.
3-Star-Rating.png

I had an umpteeth look at this b classic the other day.

DUEL was the first road movie that I actually enjoyed. Why? The imcomparable Spielberg was at the tiller.. thats why. Boy can this man tell a story and actually make you wanna be part of it.. get inside your skin so to speak. What a wild suspence-filled ride he takes us on.

MV5BZTgzYTY2ZmYtMDVhYy00Yzk3LWE5N2MtMzQwYjg0NTBhN2ViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU1MTEwMjI@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

THE PICTURE SHOW MAN: (1977) .
This rather obscure Oz flick depicts the beginnings of cinema in Australia. It is the 1920s and an enterprising man, his son and a piano player travel around Australia showing the first silent movies. (Bear in mind Australia is reputed to have produced the worlds first full reel feature film)
The dream of this team is to ditch the horse and wagon and open up a rural cinema. Muddying the waters is a hot shot wealthy American who aims to do the same.. bigger, better and in quicker time than the Australians...

I enjoyed the journey this slice of early Australiana took me. I had no problem sympathizing with and relating to the characters as the cast of John Meillon, Rod Taylor and John Ewart were top shelf. Loved the cinematography of inland Australia, while the score and incidental music complemented the pacey, amusing storyline. For those not familiar with this gem. I invite you to find it and watch it.
4-Star-Rating.png

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Book Club, had free tickets to see this and thought it would be ok on the strength of the four main stars, it had Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen,Dianne Keaton and Mary Steenburgen, what I thought would a nice light bit of fluff turned into a brilliant often funny and at times heartbreaking story about human relationships and aging The four ladies are fantastic and are abely supported by Craig T Nelson and a very handsome Andy Garcia, there is even a great little cameo from Richard Dreyfus and what the heck I even thought Don Johnson was pretty good also. Expecting a light bit of fluff but got so much more out of this movie.

The Book Club, had free tickets to see this and thought it would be ok on the strength of the four main stars, it had Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen,Dianne Keaton and Mary Steenburgen, what I thought would a nice light bit of fluff turned into a brilliant often funny and at times heartbreaking story about human relationships and aging The four ladies are fantastic and are abely supported by Craig T Nelson and a very handsome Andy Garcia, there is even a great little cameo from Richard Dreyfus and what the heck I even thought Don Johnson was pretty good also. Expecting a light bit of fluff but got so much more out of this movie.
Horrie figured at first you were replying to The Picture Show Man. Have you seen this deliteful touch of early Australiana? One of John Meillon's best. I loved it..

PJ

First Grade
Sicario Soldado.

Ok but nowhere near as good as the first one. Sad as it seems a missed opportunity.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Horrie figured at first you were replying to The Picture Show Man. Have you seen this deliteful touch of early Australiana? One of John Meillon's best. I loved it..

Ashamed to say I haven’t seen it, did catch the end of it when it was on tv some time last year but haven’t seen it all the way through, could watch just about anything with Rod Taylor in it, also like Jeannie Drynan.

Wizardman

First Grade
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence = Another rewatched classic....I tend to watch this one about once a year. I find this movie to be very much a forgotten classic. Tom Conti, David Bowie and two of the Japanese soldiers give solid performances but the star of the movie is the excellent story. A war movie with relatively little violence. This movie goes quite deep into emotions of fellow men through conflict.

An excellent movie that is never mentioned when discussing top war movies. I'd have it in my top ten war movies for sure. Brilliant movie.

5 out of 5.

Ashamed to say I haven’t seen it, did catch the end of it when it was on tv some time last year but haven’t seen it all the way through, could watch just about anything with Rod Taylor in it, also like Jeannie Drynan.
This bloke was also in it. John Ewart.. one of my fave Oz actors.
210px-John-Ewart-pic.jpg

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Netflix original movies I’ve watched have all been pretty good so was excited to give ‘Hold the dark’ a go.

First hour was good, very tense thriller, beautiful scenery, mad chick naked, not really sure where it’s going. Then the Dad comes home, there’s a twist and it just goes a whole new direction...not in a good way. Was confusing, cheesy, made no sense and I still have no idea what really happened. Very strange and wouldn’t recommend:

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Birds

A masterpiece from the master of suspense and manipulation, Alfred Hitchcock. Birds take over and attack the sleepy hollow of Bodega Bay in California. Tipi Hedren and Rod Taylor are caught up in the mayhem and are ably supported by Suzanne Pleshette, a very young Veronica Cartwright and a at times slightly corny Jessica Tandy. Tipi Hedren in her first role looks stunning as Melanie Daniels and I love the scene where she gets into a small runabout in a fur coat and high heels to go across the bay. Always have loved this movie and it scrubs up beautifully on blu ray.

Tippi-Hedrens-costumes-The-Birds-1.png

shiznit

Coach
Watched Ant-Man and the Wasp on the small screen...

My opinion of it hasn’t changed too much... it’s okay... good change of tone after IW.

I gotta hand it to Marvel though... they have the formula down to a fine art...

I watched it with a bunch of people who don’t really care for comic books films.. but like everyone else on earth they watched IW so they were all drawn in to watch this one because they thought they may get some clues for Avengers 4...

After watching this they were all raving about how it was the best Superhero film they had seen in years... so cheerful and fun...

SMH....

Marvel just sprinkle that crack cocaine over there and the general audience just love that shit...

Zoidberg

First Grade
King Arthur Legend of the sword.
Fantasy take on the story by Guy Ritchie with some pretty great scenes and moments but it feels a little hollow. Worth a watch if you’re in the mood for dumb fun. 7/10

Vic Mackey

Referee
King Arthur Legend of the sword.
Fantasy take on the story by Guy Ritchie with some pretty great scenes and moments but it feels a little hollow. Worth a watch if you’re in the mood for dumb fun. 7/10

This got canned by the critics but I really enjoyed it, saw a lot worse films last year