What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

shiznit

Coach
On the topic of such websites...

I hear some utter scoundrels have started to upload some award season screeners...

Including a certain popular kids film from Disney.

I know for damn sure none of the fine upstanding inhabitants of our forum community would be interested in such illegal antics...

Shame on those lousy no good rascals for leaking screeners...

axl rose

Bench
I know for damn sure none of the fine upstanding inhabitants of our forum community would be interested in such illegal antics...

Shame on those lousy no good rascals for leaking screeners...

giphy.gif

Zoidberg

First Grade
Speaking of such, my usual go to has now been blocked by the guvmint. And None of the mirrored sites want to work for me.

Assholes.
I had that happen to me about a year ago, I’ve never really watched new movies online just older ones I can’t find anywhere.

vvvrulz

Coach
Black Mirror - Bandersnatch 6/10. A fresh concept where you interact directly to influence the plot, but that’s the only trick on offer.

The major hurdle is that, by Black Mirror standards especially, the story is uncharacteristically dull. Choosing alternate paths is fun at first but it’s not long before you plod through several dead ends and are forced back on the one or two ‘legit’ flows, completely defeating the entire purpose. By the time it’s done it feels like those Goosebumps choose-your-ending books.

Disappointed.

axl rose

Bench
Black Mirror - Bandersnatch 6/10. A fresh concept where you interact directly to influence the plot, but that’s the only trick on offer.

The major hurdle is that, by Black Mirror standards especially, the story is uncharacteristically dull. Choosing alternate paths is fun at first but it’s not long before you plod through several dead ends and are forced back on the one or two ‘legit’ flows, completely defeating the entire purpose. By the time it’s done it feels like those Goosebumps choose-your-ending books.

Disappointed.
Good fun. I enjoyed it much more than you though you do make some valid points. On the second playthrough you realize that the choices didn't particularly matter and you're being lead down the 'legit' flows as you say.

vvvrulz

Coach
Devil 7.5/10. Shyamalan writes but sensibly doesn't direct this taut little horror-thriller, and the result pays off. No big names on show, no bloat, and the token twist works well. Worth a look.

The Founder 7.5/10. An essential for any Keaton fan. Amazing that a guy closing in on 70 continues to summon all that wacky energy from the 80s. He effortlessly carries the tale about how one stubborn douchebag brought us the golden arches, to the point where any frame without him seems to drag on a bit.

Upgrade 7.5/10. Essentially a movie-length Black Mirror episode. It's brisk and well written and sensibly sacrifices budget on fancy effects for solid story telling. Final pay off is satisfying enough without being overly dramatic. The underrated Logan-Marshall Green deserves better than being the poor man's Tom Hardy

The Shining 8/10. Don't know how I missed this all my life; blows away almost anything in it's genre today despite it being nearly 40 years old. You get all the Kubrick goodies; the dark brooding score, striking imagery, incredible long shots, the precise camera work. Just the sheer amount of work put in here alone is worth it's viewing.

I've read it's a departure from the novel somewhat, most of which I don't mind, but I will pick on Jack Nicholson's performance who was delivering his patented crazy eyes & droll don't-give-a-crap attitude far too early for a man who's supposed to be slowly descending into madness.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Saw aquaman. What the f**k was Norman Osborne doing swanning about under the sea?

Seriously, it was paint by numbers dull. I understand that people are raving about it .But that's using justice League as a yardstick. Where marvel succeeds is in making characters you could imagine giving a shit about while not taking itself so seriously for every second of every film.

axl rose

Bench
Summer of 84- another Stranger Things/Monster Squad type throwback about kids who suspect their neighbour is a serial killer, though its a darker show. I don't know why these always have to be set in the 80s. Why not the early/mid 90s, I can assure directors that as a kid it was just as boring, we still used walkies talkies, played board games and went outside. This would have been a perfect fit around a kids obsession with conspiracy/the X-Files. Oh well check it out anyway. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
Finally got around to watching Venom.

Has flaws bit a Perfectly entertaining movie with a few laughs and not much bloat.

Don't understand the savage reception it got.

That venom vs mcu Spiderman could be quite fun if that was ever able to happen.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Logan Lucky

Really entertaining off beat movie about a few hillbillies ripping off a NASCAR track Oceans 11 style. Nothing ground breaking but doesn’t take itself too seriously, very enjoyable

Wizardman

First Grade
Finally got around to watching Venom.

Has flaws bit a Perfectly entertaining movie with a few laughs and not much bloat.

Don't understand the savage reception it got.

That venom vs mcu Spiderman could be quite fun if that was ever able to happen.
Pretty much everybody I know has said the same thing you said. Not the greatest but very far away from being horrible.

natheel

Coach
Mary Poppins Returns: really didn’t enjoy it. Nothing memorable. The songs didn’t stick with me. Can’t see it being a ‘classic’ like the original.

Iafeta

Referee
Devil 7.5/10. Shyamalan writes but sensibly doesn't direct this taut little horror-thriller, and the result pays off. No big names on show, no bloat, and the token twist works well. Worth a look.

The Founder 7.5/10. An essential for any Keaton fan. Amazing that a guy closing in on 70 continues to summon all that wacky energy from the 80s. He effortlessly carries the tale about how one stubborn douchebag brought us the golden arches, to the point where any frame without him seems to drag on a bit.

Upgrade 7.5/10. Essentially a movie-length Black Mirror episode. It's brisk and well written and sensibly sacrifices budget on fancy effects for solid story telling. Final pay off is satisfying enough without being overly dramatic. The underrated Logan-Marshall Green deserves better than being the poor man's Tom Hardy

The Shining 8/10. Don't know how I missed this all my life; blows away almost anything in it's genre today despite it being nearly 40 years old. You get all the Kubrick goodies; the dark brooding score, striking imagery, incredible long shots, the precise camera work. Just the sheer amount of work put in here alone is worth it's viewing.

I've read it's a departure from the novel somewhat, most of which I don't mind, but I will pick on Jack Nicholson's performance who was delivering his patented crazy eyes & droll don't-give-a-crap attitude far too early for a man who's supposed to be slowly descending into madness.

Nicholson takes method acting to the extreme. I’m not sure how with method acting he would have been able to restrain himself better early in the movie. That said the intensity he has (possibly from the method acting technique) is frightening and frighteningly good.

I saw a YouTube video of him the other day prepping for the Here’s Johnny moment. It’s borderline insanity how hard he is building his adrenaline towards it.

He’s in my top 3 actors.