What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

soc123_au

Staff member
Tom Cruise is no William Holden, but his movies for the most part are very watchable. Stuff like Top Gun, A Few Good Men etc aren't that fantastic from an acting perspective, but they are entertaining. If I'm scanning through channels looking for something to watch & I hit a Cruise movie it is usually where I land. The only one that disappointed me that I can recall was Valkyrie, I'm a huge WWII buff & it left me a bit flat. (have never seen Vanilla Sky)
I think that Cruise has found his place, entertaining movies that aren't too serious.

On the subject of not too serious, Sacha Baron Cohen comes to mind. If anyone hasn't seen The Spy about Eli Cohen I recommend it. It's anything but not too serious. Borat is fantastic in it, I was impressed in his ability as a serious actor.

Matua

Bench
Wasn't anywhere near Edge of Tomorrow. Boss Level is aimed at teens. Wasn't anything I'd re-watch.
I enjoyed Boss Level, maybe reading your post lowered my expectations. It was a fun action movie that had some funny gaming level stuff.

Yes, it's nowhere near as good as Edge of Tomorrow but still a decent fun watch.

mongoose

Coach
R.I.P.D - i'm guessing this was some box office flop that I had never heard about. Was like Men in Black crossed with Ghostbusters. What was Jeff Bridges and Kevin Bacon thinking? also had Ryan Reynolds... Some funny moments but lots of shitty CGI and pretty lame story.

legend

Coach
Tom Cruise is no William Holden, but his movies for the most part are very watchable. Stuff like Top Gun, A Few Good Men etc aren't that fantastic from an acting perspective, but they are entertaining. If I'm scanning through channels looking for something to watch & I hit a Cruise movie it is usually where I land. The only one that disappointed me that I can recall was Valkyrie, I'm a huge WWII buff & it left me a bit flat. (have never seen Vanilla Sky)
I think that Cruise has found his place, entertaining movies that aren't too serious.

On the subject of not too serious, Sacha Baron Cohen comes to mind. If anyone hasn't seen The Spy about Eli Cohen I recommend it. It's anything but not too serious. Borat is fantastic in it, I was impressed in his ability as a serious actor.

A few good men is an outstanding movie and probably Cruise's best serious movie. Jack Nicholson appeared in three scenes and won best supporting actor for his efforts. Cruise ad libbed the Nicholson impersonation and they left it in the movie, it was that good.

Edge of Tomorrow was an excellent movie.

soc123_au

Staff member
A few good men is an outstanding movie and probably Cruise's best serious movie. Jack Nicholson appeared in three scenes and won best supporting actor for his efforts. Cruise ad libbed the Nicholson impersonation and they left it in the movie, it was that good.

I love A Few Good Men. I watched it again a few nights ago. Nicholson is brilliant in it, Cruise
& Moore I find a bit cringe in places, but I still love it as a movie.

Parra

Referee

Easy go to movie for something to watch.

So is The Firm.

Wizardman

First Grade
I made it to the end (I don't know why) but f**k, "Semi-Pro" was complete utter shit. Second worst comedy I've seen this year beside "Night School"
Will Ferrell is definitely more miss than hit with his films. He strikes me as a good support actor but f**k I hate most of the movies he stars in.
1.5 out of 5

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
I made it to the end (I don't know why) but f**k, "Semi-Pro" was complete utter shit. Second worst comedy I've seen this year beside "Night School"
Will Ferrell is definitely more miss than hit with his films. He strikes me as a good support actor but f**k I hate most of the movies he stars in.

Yeah, I straight up don't like will ferrel.

Outside of anchorman, I can't think of much I've liked him in and I HATE step Brothers.... There I said it.

Wizardman

First Grade

Outside of anchorman, I can't think of much I've liked him in and I HATE step Brothers.... There I said it.
Believe it or not, I have not seen anchorman because Im turned off with his comedy. I have it here and will see it one day.

I watched Universal Soldier:Regeneration. As a man that adores the original, gee the sequels have been so disappointing. This movie was like the producers spoke english as a second language. It was actually an ok movie but its main issue was the script gave Lundgren and Van Damme f**k all to work with in terms of getting into characters. No fun lines at all which made the original great. The movie took itself WAY too seriously....to its detriment. And, I normally like serious movies. 2 out of 5

soc123_au

Staff member

Blades of glory is a guilty pleasure of mine. Talladega Nights is good fun as well, but Ferrel is well supported in that one.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I liked him in "Step Brothers", "Elf", and "Stranger Than Fiction."

But I agree with you - I'm not a Will Ferrell fan.

I just don't see the appeal.

Wizardman

First Grade
Im a sucker for punishment....watched another recent Travolta production called "Trading Paint". f**k me....would rather watch paint dry.

0 from 5

shiznit

Coach
Raya and the last dragon - Pretty good IMO...

I have young boys who normally don’t really get into the Disney Princess films... but they enjoyed this one.

it’s still a Disney Princess film but there’s no love story or anything like that... lots of fighting which my boys loved....

definitely worth a watch....