What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Wizardman

First Grade
TBH I think IMDB is the worst way to decide whether to watch a movie (the old pre-voting BS that used to go on before they banned it shows that lots of users vote on things other than the quality of the movie itself). I had to look at the cast list to see whether I'd seen Ava, and can confirm I did and I liked it. Wasn't great, but a decent entry in the women do Taken bunch of movies out there. I too like Chastain which is odd because I'm not a fan of red heads normally.
If a movie is 6 and up on imbd, I'll generally watch it thinking the movie will at least be okay. 5 and below, if I watch it, I'll be thinking the movie has flaws.

"Ava" is far above a 5.1 out of 10 movie. Probably, the best movie I've seen so far this year.

mongoose

Coach
Nightmare Alley

Bradley Cooper becomes a carnie and ends up doing his own mentalist shows. Leaves the Carnival and starts doing shows conning rich folks and some bad shit goes down. Guillermo Del Toro movie so it looks really elegant. Nothing amazing but worth seeing

Dogs Of War

Coach
The leisure seeker. Donald Sutherland and Helen mirran. One final trip for a couple of oldies. So well written. Dialogue driven movie that both stars put down amazing performances in. Really enjoyed this one. Will put you in the good books with your missus.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Nightmare Alley

Bradley Cooper becomes a carnie and ends up doing his own mentalist shows. Leaves the Carnival and starts doing shows conning rich folks and some bad shit goes down. Guillermo Del Toro movie so it looks really elegant. Nothing amazing but worth seeing
I really enjoyed this, unexpectedly because I thought the fish f**ker film that won the Oscar was garbage.

Really good performances, story was probably slightly predictable, but as you say looked elegant.

If it hadn't been Oscar nominated I probably wouldn't have watched it. I watch every best picture nominated film each year. But, I thought this was a horror film from podcasts discussions I'd heard about it and I don't really like horrors so would have skipped it.

kit66

Bench
Nightmare Alley

Thanks, I'll have a look.
The 1947 original of this is a cracker, great movie. If this version comes even close it'll be worth a watch.

kit66

Bench
TBH I think IMDB is the worst way to decide whether to watch a movie (the old pre-voting BS that used to go on before they banned it shows that lots of users vote on things other than the quality of the movie itself). I had to look at the cast list to see whether I'd seen Ava, and can confirm I did and I liked it. Wasn't great, but a decent entry in the women do Taken bunch of movies out there. I too like Chastain which is odd because I'm not a fan of red heads normally.

imdb ratings are getting worse each year and becoming a bit of a joke. Good for other info about a film but you can't take the ratings seriously.
You can look up some of the greatest films ever made and go to the Reviews and find a bunch of knuckleheads on there going, Citizen Kane "1/10 Overrated" or The Maltese Falcon "2/10 it's black and white WTF" or E.T. "1/10 so lame" etc.

The Adam Project, well worth watching, not the best flick ever made but the snappy dialogue especially between Reynolds and the kid is great, makes the film. There's a bit of action and the supporting cast do their bit. 7/10.
Hopefully Netflix can find more like this in future.

Mark B

Juniors
Nightmare Alley

Nailed it! Cooper and Blanchett play two of the most despicable human beings in this flick. Well worth a look.

mongoose

Coach
imdb ratings are getting worse each year and becoming a bit of a joke. Good for other info about a film but you can't take the ratings seriously.
You can look up some of the greatest films ever made and go to the Reviews and find a bunch of knuckleheads on there going, Citizen Kane "1/10 Overrated" or The Maltese Falcon "2/10 it's black and white WTF" or E.T. "1/10 so lame" etc.

The Adam Project, well worth watching, not the best flick ever made but the snappy dialogue especially between Reynolds and the kid is great, makes the film. There's a bit of action and the supporting cast do their bit. 7/10.
Hopefully Netflix can find more like this in future.

If you want a reason to despise your fellow man go read some user reviews on imdb.... so many "the lead actress wasn't pretty to look at, 2/10", "not enough action" and its not even an action movie. Then you get all these reviews from obviously puritanical Christians who complain and downrate movies cause it has swear words or sexual themes lol

mongoose

Coach
The Kings Man - the f**k even is this? really bizarre prequel to Kingsman movies. Tries to do some weird rewrite of WW1 and even has Rasputin who dance fights people. Some good action scenes but batshit crazy....

kit66

Bench
The Kings Man - the f**k even is this? really bizarre prequel to Kingsman movies. Tries to do some weird rewrite of WW1 and even has Rasputin who dance fights people. Some good action scenes but batshit crazy....

I got about 30 minutes in and gave up on this. Life's too short.

Wizardman

First Grade
I saw "X" a few days ago on the big screen. I REALLY liked it. Sex, drugs, violence, nudity, gross factor....it had it all! It was presented in a very clever way though. Very cool movie that I highly recommend. Don't watch it is gross moments are not for you in any way.

Watched The Outfit last night .
Really enjoyed it .
The whole movie is set in a Tailor shop in Chicago in the 1950s.(could easily be a stage play) .
Story is basically an English Tailor who makes fine suits for those who can afford ( the mob seem to be his main customers) has to use his wits when things go south one night.
Lots of twists that keep you guessing & it relies on a good script without too much violence & the usual Hollywood over the top crap .
A few little plot holes but very enjoyable.
Mark Rylance is brilliant as the Tailor & Zoey Deutch is excellent as his assistant .
8/10 .

PJ

First Grade
Power of the Dog. 7. Suspect it was a very good book but didn't really translate well. But long but well acted.

Black Crab. 6 Some interesting ideas, but for me the lack of some exposition, particularly with the enemy, didn't work for me. Some huge plot holes as well.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
the new texas chainsaw massacre

has a few decent horror moments (espicially if you hate influencers), but takes the "people suddenly cant do basic human tasks all of a sudden" cliche to the next level when there is a short straight road out of town yet out of four attempts when someone manages to get into a vehicle they somehow cant drive 100m in a straight direction.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just got out of the cinema for the first time since pre Covid. Went and saw Northmen.

They played a Solo add I’d never seen before which was amusing. The trailer for the new Top Gun was also pretty cool.

Should have called it a day there and left.

mackdadday

Juniors
Bad Trip - Eric Andre basically doing a movie version of his show and just like the show it's hilarious and full of wtf laughs. 8/10

Aeroplane/Flying High - Still holds up after all these years. 10/10

Dragonfight (1990 - on youtube) - Probably the stupidest, most convoluted film i have ever seen. It's like the director made four films simultaenously and didn't finish any of them and spliced them together with an ending that made no sense whatsoever. I don't think any of multiple plots started during the film get any sought of conclusion at all. 10/10

azzah72

Bench
This afternoon I went and saw everything everywhere all at once.

I encourage everyone to support this film because it f**king fantastic.

It's not a sequel or reboot but a totally new and original story with the GOAT Michelle yeoh starring.

It's action packed, funny, weird, sad, enlightening and generally a hell of a great time.

Best to go in not knowing much and enjoying the ride.

Haven't been genuinely in awe of a movie like this since maybe the first matrix.

9/10

Reactions: PJ

Frederick

Staff member

It's not a sequel or reboot but a totally new and original story with the GOAT Michelle yeoh starring.

It's action packed, funny, weird, sad, enlightening and generally a hell of a great time.

Haven't been genuinely in awe of a movie like this since maybe the first matrix.

9/10
I've heard great things about it, the trailer looks f**king mental

PJ

First Grade

9/10
I tend to agree, but it's not going to be for everyone. Wife didn't like it and from comments from other patrons she wasn't alone.

If it is your type of movie then it's one you'll love