What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should we do with Kearney?

What should we do with Kearney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SDM

First Grade
He will do even better once he rids the side of Ozzy and DA's thieving love child.

And the knee jerkers will want him extended if he can win a few, after all, a few loses had him condemned.

It wasn't the losing that made me vote to remove him. It was what we were offering.

If we play like we did on Saturday against Newcastle but go down, I'll still be happy because it offers hope. What we dished up Rds 1-4 offered nothing and didn't look good for Kearney, who is supposed to shape (and therefore be responsible for) how we play.

Parra09

Juniors
He finally did what some of his staff have been imploring him to do for the last 5 weeks..... I guess at least that proves he has ears :roll:

Springs

First Grade
Nice article in RLW today where Ben Roberts says how Kearney locked away the playbook and told them to go out there and play their natural games.

Roberts: 'For him to give us the go ahead to play footy makes things a lot easier for myself and Chrissy Sandow who like to play off-the-cuff a bit. As you can see, it can come off. The key was... to play footy. Second-phase play tends to trouble teams.'

Kearney: 'We got to the stage where it wasn't about our game plan, I guess it was about the spirit of the group.'

About time Kearney realised this.

But I thought Pou Pou said it was a good grinding win from the players who finally followed 'the game plan'.

Suitman

Post Whore
Nice article in RLW today where Ben Roberts says how Kearney locked away the playbook and told them to go out there and play their natural games.

Roberts: 'For him to give us the go ahead to play footy makes things a lot easier for myself and Chrissy Sandow who like to play off-the-cuff a bit. As you can see, it can come off. The key was... to play footy. Second-phase play tends to trouble teams.'

Kearney: 'We got to the stage where it wasn't about our game plan, I guess it was about the spirit of the group.'

But I thought Pou Pou said it was a good grinding win from the players who finally followed 'the game plan'.

He did. The grinding part came when we were behind in the second half. The players didn't play their natural game then. The were methodical, putting in deep kicks on the 3rd and 4th tackles and chasing well. The attack took care of itself from that point. We wore Manly down.
Sounds like a grinding win to me.

Suity

True EEL

Bench

well credit where its due to SK, i said a week or so ago, he needed to adapt or ultimately perish, sounds like he realised things weren't working (finally) and made the tough call to deviate and adapt from his rigid plans, good on him

and good on Roberts and Sandow for stepping up after being given such a license....hope they can keep it up

True EEL

Bench
He did. The grinding part came when we were behind in the second half. The players didn't play their natural game then. The were methodical, putting in deep kicks on the 3rd and 4th tackles and chasing well. The attack took care of itself from that point. We wore Manly down.

Suity

they still played footy and scored points in that second half....in other games if we got behind, we were shot ducks...

True EEL

Bench
A grinding win.

Suity

you call it grinding, i call it playing footy...no drama though, each to their own

to me a grinding win is holding out a team in a scrappy 12-10 win, or something similar, but, meh....i know you're talking more about the style of play to grind out a win, but to me i thought they kept playing. if they hadn't kept playing footy we probably would have been run down and lost....

Suitman

Post Whore
you call it grinding, i call it playing footy...no drama though, each to their own

to me a grinding win is holding out a team in a scrappy 12-10 win, or something similar, but, meh....i know you're talking more about the style of play to grind out a win, but to me i thought they kept playing. if they hadn't kept playing footy we probably would have been run down and lost....

See, this is why you are a goose.
I said the grinding part started when we were behind in the 2nd half.

Suity

hineyrulz

Post Whore
See, this is why you are a goose.
I said the grinding part started when we were behind in the 2nd half.

Suity
Agreed, when we hit the front the last 20 mins or so was just good hard tough footy. We kicked early in the tackle count, chased and hit hard and made no mistakes in that back end. We ground them out of it.

Springs

First Grade

Suity

How is that not a natural game? The players knew what needed to be done and they executed it well.

Since Kearney said it wasn't about the game plan, I doubt we won because the players finally decided to follow it like Pou said.

I think we won because the players went out and played their natural game, really showed some spirit, then put it in when things got tough. Which is what Roberts, Kearney and Mannah said in the article.

Kearney realised things weren't working so he threw the plan away and told players to go out and play their natural games, which suits the halves and Hayne just fine.

Latest posts