What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if you were Bluey?

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Agree, I'm liking the Benry-Topou combo. If injuries persist then the other wing should be Hurrell-Manu with Fish at fullback (sigh). I don't mind seeing Inu at centre to redeem himself, but never be at the back again.

At halftime in the sheds I was watching Bluey talk to the boys while they were sitting in a circle, standing right next to him was SJ listening and paying attention even though he wasn't playing which was good but in the background I could see the fish sitting down not paying attention texting. Some of the players just lack the attitude required to win and it's showing in their on field performances.

_addict

Juniors
I've just watched the game minus the first 20min:x. I'm still pretty gutted, but calming down slowly. I thought we probably deserved to win that game, we certainly didn't deserve to go down with that scoreline at the end.

First the venting. Crap refereeing: the strip, and the forward passes not called in particular...grrrrr! Crapper commentary; Melbourne this, Melbourne that ...grrrrer!

Now as for Bluey.

The defence looks a lot better. The line speed was good, the line was mostly consistent, the communication was excellent, the work in the tackle was good, good chasing from most at marker, and there was equally good pressure on the kickers. I was pretty pleased with Benry who is adapting to the centre position hand dealt to him, and to some of the other younger players. Godinet and his partners on the left were guilty of not pushing up off the line and he'll need to improve on that, the Storm found us out there. Ta'ai is one of those who doesn't work well from marker. The job isn't finished when you've tackled the guy Ukuma, you need to give the dummy half a hurry-up too.

Errors at the back allowed the game to be lost at the end. I wasn't happy with Inu's dropped ball, but the risky passes for no conceivable gain from both him and Manu (who otherwise had a strong game) were inexcusable. I will concede that if we hadn't had to reshuffle when Locke went down, probably none of this would have happened. Bluey does need to instill in our guys a bit better judgement in these situations. Other than that I thought our errors weren't excessive even with some of the props receiving the ball just before they hit the line.

Attack. I thought it was okay, the forwards made good gains, dummy half running was fairly sharp, kicks were okay but not perfect, and there were some good lines run. I do think Tupou could have pinned his ears back for another in the first half instead of cutting back in, I hope he has enough confidence in himself.

All-in-all I'm not going to blame McClennan for this one. I thought the team looked good.

Rich102

Staff member
After the way JRo has been treated I fully expect Inu to be picked next game "to make up for" last night.

Two things Bluey should have learned:
1. JRo is not a center.
2. Inu is not a fullback.

aargon

I re-watched the game last night and actually agree that we were the better team for 70min of the game. Its just amazing how the smallest of errors can cost us so dearly and lead to such a blow out score in the end.....

It will take me about a month to get over Inu's stupidity hence for the safety of my TV, I would prefer not to see him in the warriors jersey next week.

Bluey really needs to sort out the defensive line out wide.... its where we leak in ALL the points - and every team we play is targetting that area right now....

aargon

i would actually consider slotting in lewis brown or mannering back in the centres until the so called "real centres" learn their trade ie reading attacking lines and defending.... i know we all moan and complain how second rowers are not centres - but they will definitely shore up the defense in that part of the field....

JRO, Inu, Fish, Hurrell they're just not cutting the mustard defensively.

To be fair on your last point, I'm not actually sure if any warriors, or kiwis coach for that matter, has ever really solved our issues out wide. I just think that last year teams
Targeted Maloney, Seymour and Johnson on D and didn't capitalize on our fragilities out wide.

I'm not sure if the warriors have ever had 2 winger/centre combos
On the field at one time who could defend.

And that's where I think the warriors could
Really have benefited from a having a guy
Like sam perret at the club

i would actually consider slotting in lewis brown or mannering back in the centres until the so called "real centres" learn their trade ie reading attacking lines and defending.... i know we all moan and complain how second rowers are not centres - but they will definitely shore up the defense in that part of the field....

I agree in principal with this, however brown was exposed last year numerous times defending at centre. Mannering would be my preference

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
To me, Benry has been a marked improver. I didn't want him there at the start but now he's been given all these rounds, I want him to be persisted with.

Meth

Staff member

Brown is a terrible centre, defensively.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Like I said already I don't think the coaching staff would think it's much of an issue like we do, Ropati slots back into centre and Fish at fullback. I'd personally quite like to see Inu at centre and Ropati at the back but don't think theres much chance for that.

Micistm

Bench
Like I said already I don't think the coaching staff would think it's much of an issue like we do, Ropati slots back into centre and Fish at fullback. I'd personally quite like to see Inu at centre and Ropati at the back but don't think theres much chance for that.

Does make a lot of sense, the few times JRo has filled in at FB he's gone pretty damn well

hitro

Juniors
I would like to see Ropati at fullback too, it seems to work for him.
And give Inu another chance at centre.