What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's doing Manly?

Ice777

Bench
CharlieF said:
Dutchy said:
Dutchy,

Sorry, did I miss something. Is the season over already??
Lets wait until then to see who looks stupid?

What has the season not being over got to do with anything? It's blatantly obvious that Dutchy is giving his opinion on Orford's season thus far which is pretty much spot on IMO. The vast majority of other people know that Orford is only just a good player at best and they don't need to witness the rest of the season to know that.

They're going by the many games/seasons he's played which is the only thing you can gauge it off, not what he "might" do for the rest of the season and beyond like you do. Can you look in your crystal ball and tell us who's gonna win the comp please Charlie? :lol:

Thus far it's not Dutchy that looks stupid because he's spot on. It's you that does by persisting to defend Orford when he's been nothing more than an average to good player at Manly and certainly not the superstar you make him out to be.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Orford's night in shining armour to the rescue once more. Right on cue Charlie :lol:

Oh, and i never once wrote of Manly. All i did is comment on the deficiencies [SIZE=-1](IMO) of your halfback. If you can't read it without having a sook about it everytime then don't look at it.[/SIZE]

My comments stand.

Too much attention is being made on Orford. Yes he is the halfback. Yes he is one of the chief playmakers, but just like Newcastle Knights with the best player and halfback of all time didn't win the Grand Final in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006, the halfback and highest payed player cannot influence the result.

I comment on all thing Manly, not just Orford. Wait until the season is over or Manly are not in the top 4 before writing him off.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:
CharlieF said:
What has the season not being over got to do with anything? It's blatantly obvious that Dutchy is giving his opinion on Orford's season thus far which is pretty much spot on IMO. The vast majority of other people know that Orford is only just a good player at best and they don't need to witness the rest of the season to know that.

They're going by the many games/seasons he's played which is the only thing you can gauge it off, not what he "might" do for the rest of the season and beyond like you do. Can you look in your crystal ball and tell us who's gonna win the comp please Charlie? :lol:

I was replying to Dutchy, but anyway.

He said "I told you so".

He didn't say "I'm telling you so".

What has the season not being over got to do with it. Well if manly make the grand final and Orford is MOM, then what????

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
In a close competition, referees' calls become critical. Manly have always relied on a very generous run from the refs - especially at Brookvale where the run of penalties and decisions in their favour often becomes ridiculous.

However, wihtout this lift from the refs, Manly suddenly come back to earth with a thud. They have to work hard to get out of their half - not piggyback on a couple of penalties. They have to defend more - less petrol to attack.

Orford and Lyon have massive question marks over them. Compare opposition playmakers. Smith, Cronk etc. Monnas goes OK but they've kicked him out.

I think Manly have massive problems.

CharlieF

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
In a close competition, referees' calls become critical. Manly have always relied on a very generous run from the refs - especially at Brookvale where the run of penalties and decisions in their favour often becomes ridiculous.

However, wihtout this lift from the refs, Manly suddenly come back to earth with a thud. They have to work hard to get out of their half - not piggyback on a couple of penalties. They have to defend more - less petrol to attack.

Orford and Lyon have massive question marks over them. Compare opposition playmakers. Smith, Cronk etc. Monnas goes OK but they've kicked him out.

I think Manly have massive problems.

Why have the refs stopped favouring Manly? I find this rather confusing.

Stagger eel

Staff member
CharlieF said:
Who cares about "I told you so this and I told you so that". The season is not even anywhere near over and you write Manly off. Manly had 6 regular first graders out. Thats right, almost half a team. I don't care what the other team had or didn't have, thats their problem, we had our own.

when you see how many the mob had out the excuse you use shouldn't even come into reckoning, mind you, I don't see the 700K dud as a loss..

CharlieF

Juniors
eelavation said:
when you see how many the mob had out the excuse you use shouldn't even come into reckoning, mind you, I don't see the 700K dud as a loss..

A weakened team is no guide on form.

I'm glad you don't see him as a dud.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I was thinking the exact same thing RE: Manly. Are the last couple of weeks signs of the wheels falling off? The supposed tough Manly defence has been blown out of the water in the last fortnight.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not just then, one out of the last four (one win in five weeks)... things are looking lean regardless of Origin.

CharlieF

Juniors
Jobdog said:
I was thinking the exact same thing RE: Manly. Are the last couple of weeks signs of the wheels falling off? The supposed tough Manly defence has been blown out of the water in the last fortnight.

I think they need Matai back big time. He will provide the stiffness in defence that Manly are currently lacking.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dodger said:
Not just then, one out of the last four (one win in five weeks)... things are looking lean regardless of Origin.

Its still the first time this year that they have lost 2 in a row. Doesn't excuse the loss, but they will be a lot better when Stewart, Bell, Matai, Lyon, Ballin and Kite come back. Will be a lot tougher to defeat.

Timmah

Staff member
The only stiff thing from Matai lately seems to be his arm collecting players in the head.

Timmah

Staff member
CharlieF said:
Its still the first time this year that they have lost 2 in a row. Doesn't excuse the loss, but they will be a lot better when Stewart, Bell, Matai, Lyon, Ballin and Kite come back. Will be a lot tougher to defeat.

With all due respect, against us you had Stewart, Bell, Lyon and Kite.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
CharlieF said:
Why have the refs stopped favouring Manly? I find this rather confusing.

Who knows - but that's what it looks like. Suddenly, an even playing field and the results are ordinary - helped over the line against Souths; belted by the Doggies at home; lose to Penrith (argubaly the worst team in 07) and lose to a Sox premier league team.

Beaver looks past it; Ox and Lyon ordinary; defence has got soft. Des Hasler now screaming at players at halftime - bad sign.

If Manly lose to the Roosters, look out. What is your run home? Because you've had a shocker against some weaker clubs and you'll have some big guns coming up.

I reckon Manly are in serious trouble.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dodger said:
With all due respect, against us you had Stewart, Bell, Lyon and Kite.

Teams lose every now and then for various reasons. We will need to see what happens after these current representative disruptions are over. For some teams the rep season has played them into form (ie. Broncos). Hopefully it hasn't had the opposite affect on Manly. Time will tell. We know they can lift for a big game like they did against the Storm. Maybe its just a little bit of complacency these last few weaks with them sitting up so high on the ladder.

parrachick11

Juniors
CharlieF said:
My comments stand.

Too much attention is being made on Orford. Yes he is the halfback. Yes he is one of the chief playmakers, but just like Newcastle Knights with the best player and halfback of all time didn't win the Grand Final in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006, the halfback and highest payed player cannot influence the result.

I comment on all thing Manly, not just Orford. Wait until the season is over or Manly are not in the top 4 before writing him off.

:sarcasm: Ummm...?? I believe it was Joey who led Newcastle to win the grand final this year, against a red hot eels team.

Dutchy

Immortal
Dodge - we would have lost to Dogs if we had Toovey, Ridge and Carroll all at their peak. Our problem over the past 2 weeks has been our discipline, our handling has been horrible, we are giving away more penalties than earlier on this the season (3 games with Archer could be that problem) but its getting ridiculous. Against Dragons its not our defence thats our problem, 2 tries off kicks and 1 intercept plus that long distance try in the first half. I guess after that high tempo start to the season people even myself are expecting alot more out of the players, all they have to do is get that we cant be beaten belief we had at the start of the season. We lost out on all the little 1% like groundballs because they wanted it more. And one more thing, Drop Orford to PL for a week or two, have him fight for his spot, it worked well with Dogs and Sherwin.

Latest posts