What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's doing Manly?

sooperdooper

First Grade
its quite simple when you look at it:
* coach - one trick pony...
* depth - to many highly paid/over rated players on very big coin, which leads to little depth outside the 17.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Whats the problem with Manly??

Isn't the fact they are Manly enough of a problem?

Manly have benifited from a strong opening to the season and the fact that unlike a lot of other sides who are now starting to string a few wins together Manly kept the same coach from the year before and had very few injury concerns, that allowed them to get the jump on a lot of sides in the 1st half of the year but now that the sides with new coaches have gotten more used to the new style and that Manly have also had their own injury problems (still not as bad as a number of other sides) they are really starting to fall back into the pack and we are seeing a truer indication of where Manly really are in relation to the other sides in the comp.

Hurriflatch

Referee
the fact of the matter is that Manly have not improved that much since last year where from memory they finished 4th in fact a couple of teams have actually improved more so Manly might end up a couple of spots lower.

I'm expecting to see Manly finish somewhere between 4th-6th maybe a little bit higher if it comes down to for/against

Hurriflatch

Referee
that and the fact that Judas Lyon is an over-rated pig rooting hack who only played Originb because he gave Bozo Fulton head.

sorry, but as an Eels fan it kinda felt like I had to bag him :lol:

Downie

Guest Moderator
Hurriflatch said:
Whats the problem with Manly??

Isn't the fact they are Manly enough of a problem?

Manly have benifited from a strong opening to the season and the fact that unlike a lot of other sides who are now starting to string a few wins together Manly kept the same coach from the year before and had very few injury concerns, that allowed them to get the jump on a lot of sides in the 1st half of the year but now that the sides with new coaches have gotten more used to the new style and that Manly have also had their own injury problems (still not as bad as a number of other sides) they are really starting to fall back into the pack and we are seeing a truer indication of where Manly really are in relation to the other sides in the comp.

In their good run at the beginning of the year, Manly had Orford, Matai and Menzies all out. In the past few weeks they've had Rose, Burns and Matai out. Burns and Orford can cancel each other out for the effect they have on the team, but Menzies over Rose any day of the week.

It's just that they're starting to do some really stupid things. Maybe they were too confident being miles away from the rest of the pack. I also think Orford has had a bit to do with it. Since he got the captaincy back they've fallen away in defence. Give it back to Kite and fire a rocket up Orford's ass and they'll be fine.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
that and the fact that Judas Lyon is an over-rated pig rooting hack who only played Originb because he gave Bozo Fulton head.

Look at Manly's run home and their prospects:

1. Roosters - lose this - big problems.
2. Tigers - toss up.
3. Sharks - away - always a toss up at Shark Park.
4. Eels - away - tough game.
5. Broncos - away - tough game.
6. Knights - away - toss up.
7. Souths - away - no "Brookie" favours this time - toss up.
8. Warriors - away - tough game.
9. Dragons - might have 10 guys playing for contracts at St George - tough game.

It is increasingly likely that Manly will lose every remaining game and miss the 8. Why? Because the poor options, soft defence, lack of " game breaker" and less refereeing help at Brookvale makes Manly a pretty average team overall - too many weaknesses. Des Hasler is losing the plot - screaming at players at halftime - but no effect.

The facts are there. I think Manly wll miss the 8 - and all hell will break loose over Manly way.

Ice777

Bench
CharlieF said:
Its still the first time this year that they have lost 2 in a row.

You're right, it is the first time that Manly have lost two in a row this year. But you could also say that they've lost 3 of their past 4 games and an even more damning statistic is that those 3 losses came at the hands of 3 teams in the lower half of the table with 2 of them against the bottom sides in Penrith and the Dragons. Make of that what you will.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Ice777 said:
You're right, it is the first time that Manly have lost two in a row this year. But you could also say that they've lost 3 of their past 4 games and an even more damning statistic is that those 3 losses came at the hands of 3 teams in the lower half of the table with 2 of them against the bottom sides in Penrith and the Dragons. Make of that what you will.

I reckon that looks like disaster. There is a real chacne that Manly won't win another game this year.

CharlieF

Juniors
parrachick11 said:
:sarcasm: Ummm...?? I believe it was Joey who led Newcastle to win the grand final this year, against a red hot eels team.

Sorry, meant to be 2001. I left out 2003 instead, but you get my drift. 1 GF in 9 seasons and they had the undisputed best player ever in Rugby League. If he can't do it for them, how the f**k does everyone expect orford to practically carry Manly? Orford himself told everyone not to expect him to be the saviour. He himself said that he is no miracle man. That was one of the reason he did not go to Souths because he didn't want to shoulder all the playmaking responsibilities.

Its a team game and it takes a very very rare individual to consistently be one of the best on field and more importantly, the difference between 2 teams playing.

parrachick11

Juniors
CharlieF said:
Sorry, meant to be 2001. I left out 2003 instead, but you get my drift. 1 GF in 9 seasons and they had the undisputed best player ever in Rugby League. If he can't do it for them, how the f**k does everyone expect orford to practically carry Manly? Orford himself told everyone not to expect him to be the saviour. He himself said that he is no miracle man. That was one of the reason he did not go to Souths because he didn't want to shoulder all the playmaking responsibilities.

Its a team game and it takes a very very rare individual to consistently be one of the best on field and more importantly, the difference between 2 teams playing.

Its all good...don't know why I would drag that up anyway;-)

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:

You can also say that we lost 3 of our last 16 games, and so on and so on.

We also beat the Storm when we had to lift, which means that Manly are quite capable of lifting for the big games. One would hardly say that the last 4-5 games were super important or do-or-die games for them. But hey, make of that what you will. We'll see if Manly have given up thair attempt for a premiership in the coming weeks.

CharlieF

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:

Get over it will you guys.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CharlieF said:

We also beat the Storm when we had to lift, which means that Manly are quite capable of lifting for the big games. One would hardly say that the last 4-5 games were super important or do-or-die games for them. But hey, make of that what you will. We'll see if Manly have given up thair attempt for a premiership in the coming weeks.

Look at your draw- those recent games were VITAL!

Ice777

Bench
CharlieF said:

But nobody is talking about the whole season, the question marks that have arisen over Manly have occurred because of their last month of footy and that's what people are commenting on. The cracks have been exposed by the lesser sides of the comp in that period and every team will be looking to exploit them just as the others have.

CharlieF

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
orford is definately no savior..becuase he is rubbish!

You need to improve you footballing knowledge beyond just being able to name teams and who plays for them.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:
But nobody is talking about the whole season, the question marks that have arisen over Manly have occurred because of their last month of footy and that's what people are commenting on. The cracks have been exposed by the lesser sides of the comp in that period and every team will be looking to exploit them just as the others have.

SOO players missing. Something new for Manly. They will adjust.

Don't death ride them just yet.

Latest posts