What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should we sign for 2009?

eel01s

Bench
I'm sure Jack Gibson said pick your best 13, and worry about the numbers on their back later.

However, I still maintain that we need some new blood, and it seems as though most agree. Let's hope Hagan and co. go out any buy some decent forwards!

sooperdooper

First Grade
How can that be ???
I recall hearing Ashley Graham on the radio a few years ago saying that he couldnt believe the difference in the fitness programs between the eels and the cowboys. He said he really struggled when he got there.

I also hear the same thing about PJ when he went to the broncos with the broncos saying - he thought he was fit when he arrived but not up to our standards.

Dont we have one of the most recognised fitness gurus in the game?
Ive always thought that the eels were lacking in the fitness department.

i have known a few people who have left the eels and gone onto other teams and they could not beleive how hard the training was at the new club compared to what is what at the eels.
Which is why i think players excel when they leave us, they simply get fitter at first!
Ash Graham is a perfect example...
we are very unfit and soft

the_eel

Juniors
I think that it's no secret that we're unfit and that other teams know that they can come over the top of us in the back end of games.

eel01s

Bench
Well if that is the case, why isn't a rocket (not meant to be a pun) sent up Hayden Knowles?!?

This is supposed to be a professional outfit ffs, and we obviously aren't as fit or train as hard as other teams. No wonder we are soft and not mentally tough!

The whole culture of the club needs to change if we want to win any premierships. Change starts from the top IMO.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Do you agree that we look unfit? or it it just me?
Mind you I have thought that we were close to the unfittest teams in the NRL for years and was the main reason we got chased down in many games over the years.
Well last game against against Manly we got beat by a team with no reserves, we we're ahead with 10 to go and we looked to wilt while Manly seemed to surge. If thats not due to fitness i don't no what is.

forward pass

Coach
Well if that is the case, why isn't a rocket (not meant to be a pun) sent up Hayden Knowles?!?

This is supposed to be a professional outfit ffs, and we obviously aren't as fit or train as hard as other teams. No wonder we are soft and not mentally tough!

The whole culture of the club needs to change if we want to win any premierships. Change starts from the top IMO.

Maybe Hayden is too busy with his other project................................??

Y2Eel

First Grade
Greg Alexander was a bloody good halfback who represented Australia at fullback.

Players adapt.

I remember him playing fullback against France over there I think he started the whole post try back flip after scoring a few against them as well.....

Fathead

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,23632842-14823,00.html

First stat for mine shows that Moimoi is losing his effectiveness and I believe that comes back to the ten man rule. Also comes back to him starting as well.

Keating playing a utility role off the bench isn't a bad thing. It introduces him to first gradde without any real pressure particularly as a five eight. He can than slot into his natural position. Exactly what Bellamy did with Cooper Cronk.

Cooper started as a replacement hooker. His natural position was 5/8.

Peter Sterling played most of his junior football at 5/8. Played his first game in the top grade at fullback.

Steve Ella was a halfback.

Greg Bird started as a centre.

Kurt Gidley was a halfback, five eight. Started at centre in first grade alongside his brother.

Greg Alexander was a bloody good halfback who represented Australia at fullback.

Players adapt.

Mark Geyer started as a winger - doesnt mean he should have played there!

Fathead

Bench
Well last game against against Manly we got beat by a team with no reserves, we we're ahead with 10 to go and we looked to wilt while Manly seemed to surge. If thats not due to fitness i don't no what is.

Well I reckon that our first signing should be someone like Billy Johnston or some other hard nut made trainer.
I know that if you asked all clubs whether they would accept Billy Johnston as head trainer most would say yes in an instant.
I wonder if the same can be said for Hayden Knowles ?

There was that other pommie head trainer - Kelvin Giles, that left the Broncos a few years ago and called them all soft pussies - now thats the sort of head trainer we need.

Fathead

Bench
I'm sure Jack Gibson said pick your best 13, and worry about the numbers on their back later.
At the eels
Ray Price never played 5/8.
Bob O'Reilly never played in the backs
Neil Hunt never played hooker. etc etc etc

Put blokes where they are comfortable and you will have a happy team. Happy team = winning team.

Suitman

Post Whore
At the eels
Ray Price never played 5/8.
Bob O'Reilly never played in the backs
Neil Hunt never played hooker. etc etc etc

Put blokes where they are comfortable and you will have a happy team. Happy team = winning team.

:lol:

Nice post.

Stay on that red wine Fat Head - you're on fire!!

Suity

Latest posts